Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polar Bear Tournament.........What Happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar Bear Tournament.........What Happened?

I guess Fitzy's scheduling has finally caught up to him....Only 18 teams in the U-19 AA bracket. No NAHA, No Assabet, No teams from Michigan and 1 team from Canada. I know many teams have laughed at Fitzy's playing the weakest teams in the field every year but I guess they just thought the Wizards were a better option.....
    GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Polar Bear Tournament.........What Happened?

Cost of flights and 12 minute periods weren't too appealing

Comment

Agreed - And to boot, mostly prep school schools in attendance trying to rape club teams players. Id say this tournament is just about over.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUBTEAMS View Post
        Agreed - And to boot, mostly prep school schools in attendance trying to rape club teams players. Id say this tournament is just about over.
        That is too bad. This used to be a great event to attend. I remember watching some great games in the past in the U19 division with power house teams from back then like Assabet, St-Jerome, Syracuse and the Aeros playing in this tourney. This was in the day the the Polar bears had Knight, Ryabkina and Snickeris on their team.

Comment

leave it to the insecure club teams to think that getting on the ice twice a week and playing a few tournament games is the best thing for a kid.

given how many prep kids also play for club teams i hardly think this is a big issue. also, there were still plenty of college coaches there. may not have been where it was at it's peak, but neither was the talent. if the talent is there, the coaches show up.

i imagine the 12 min periods and no floods is actually appealing to the college coaches as it keeps things moving and they can see more kids more quickly so if the good teams show up the coaches will go.

obviously there are administrative issues that have caused the tournament numbers to dwindle...whether it's the period length, the cost of travel, or whatever i have no idea. i imagine the rapid deterioration of the newington rink hasn't helped matters either.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
            leave it to the insecure club teams to think that getting on the ice twice a week and playing a few tournament games is the best thing for a kid.

given how many prep kids also play for club teams i hardly think this is a big issue. also, there were still plenty of college coaches there. may not have been where it was at it's peak, but neither was the talent. if the talent is there, the coaches show up.

i imagine the 12 min periods and no floods is actually appealing to the college coaches as it keeps things moving and they can see more kids more quickly so if the good teams show up the coaches will go.

obviously there are administrative issues that have caused the tournament numbers to dwindle...whether it's the period length, the cost of travel, or whatever i have no idea. i imagine the rapid deterioration of the newington rink hasn't helped matters either.
            Leave it to a prep school saying "leave home and come play our horse @#$% teams". Yah thats best for a players development.
            NO THANKS!

Would rather keep my D at home, tuck her in, send her to a 30K Private School in our home city, play on the local club teams; who skate 4.5-5 hrs a week. KEEP YOUR D AT HOME.

CLearly this is what has been transpiring over the last few years. This tournament is a direct reflection of families recognizing the opportunities in their own backyard.

Comment

Would rather keep my D at home, tuck her in, send her to a 30K Private School in our home city, play on the local club teams; who skate 4.5-5 hrs a week.
              Everything in the quote above sounds good BUT the 30k.

Who would want to go to a tournament right after Christmas anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                Many of us did a number of years ago. There weren't many good alternatives then.

Comment

WIrat - didn't your daughter play club hockey before heading out to the mid-east? Would you change that decision now, or was it the best fit for her?

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                    WIrat - didn't your daughter play club hockey before heading out to the mid-east? Would you change that decision now, or was it the best fit for her?
                    A lot more college coaches used to goto this tourney when there weren't better options for the top teams. But then came the NAHA Labor Day Tournament, USA-Canada Cups! Stoney Creek Showcase. All the top programs want to goto these now and thus the college coaches follow.

The problem with Polar Bear is 4 games in 3 days. Teams are used to the better showcases where they play 5 games in 48 hours. College coaches love that too! And, at the Polar Bear you have to win your division to even advance, so few teams get a 5th game.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                      indeed she did, and no i wouldn't change it. it was what was best for her. it's not what is best for everyone, especially those in more remote hockey areas or those who don't get access to as much ice time or those who have crazy parents that they need to get away from so they have a chance at growing up. i was never afraid to listen to any opportunity for her and had an open mind to any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        I think a little bit of the luster is gone from any of the holiday tournaments now that many of the top US and Canadian players are at U-18 Worlds and not playing for their club or prep teams.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Wizards tournament was good. It was nice not having to be in CT for four days. The first games were on Friday night, then two on Saturday, and one or two on Sunday. Lots of college coaches were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Swede View Post
                            The Wizards tournament was good. It was nice not having to be in CT for four days. The first games were on Friday night, then two on Saturday, and one or two on Sunday. Lots of college coaches were there.
                            Totally agree.

Polar Bear has been crap for years. Way too much $$ for what it is...The 12 min periods is a joke, then they rip you off and make you stay at their approved hotels, where they smack you for another $20-30 extra per night [that they keep]...oh, while we're at it, lets make you stay 4 nights when you could do it in 2 or 3] ...then they bang you for a door fee to watch your own kid play [oh, and if gramps wants to watch one game...sorry old man, you need to buy a weekly pass $20 for that one [36 min] game. Oh, and can we talk about the seedings? PBs play all the patsies, and lets put all the good teams in the same bracket, so we make sure out little superstars make the finals. Glad to see this one is on it's last legs...just wish it had happened years ago. NO more CTPB fund raiser paid for by the rest of us.

Wizards ran a very good event. Looking forward to doing that again.

Comment

This was my D first time at this tournament since she is new to girls hockey. After everything I had heard about the exposure, I was pretty upset about how it turned out. Expensive flights from the west coast, 12 min periods, 1:30 penalties, $20 entry fee, AND there were only 6 teams in the entire 16U division?!?! What a waste. We flew out there on Christmas night and gave up our entire holiday week for that. I'm campaigning next year for our organization to skip this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X