Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Didn't see a thread for this game and I am bored....

Notre Dame comes to Mariucci Arena having won six straight, but haven't played since December 15th.

Minnesota demolished a shorthanded BC team at home taking the Mariucci Classic title and looks to stay undefeated against non-conference opponents on the season.

Should be a fun one even if it is on a Tuesday night...go!
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Re: Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

A shorthanded Minnesota team demolished a shorthanded BC team at home taking the Mariucci Classic title
    Fixed that for ya. The Gophers were without Reilly and with out arguably their best forward Haula for the third period. No biggie.

Comment

Having seen Minnesota play numerous times and having seen Notre Dame (albeit in the first game of the season) play against UNO at the Icebreaker in Kansas City this ought to be a pretty good match-up, except for the home ice advantage, which I think tilts this one the Gopher's way. 3 common opponents, UNO, BC, and the under 18 squad who, oddly, both Notre Dame and Minnesota tied.

Comment

This will a solid measuring stick for both teams. Notre Dame is a big physical team that will skate four lines and wear you down. Very disciplined defensively and have found a goal tender in Steven Summerhays who is performing extremely well as is Minnesota's Wilcox. ND is led by its 12 member Junior class who have all tasted early success with a freshman Final Four appearance and last years disappointing sophomore year. Line match ups will more than likely have ND Lee's line (Costello & Rust) vs. Bjugstad's (Rau & possibly Isackson or Condon) the 2nd Line match-ups have ND's Tynan (Lucia & Voran) vs. Condon or Isackson replacing the injured Haula with Budish. The injury to Haula should present a very favorable match-up for ND's 2nd line. Condon will likely center Minnesota's second line to offset the speed issue of Tynan and Voran. The size and experience factor of the defense goes to ND, Goaltending is statistically a tie. Penalities will play a key in this game and could be problematic for ND if they do not play a disciplined game. This is also ND's first game in 3-1/2 weeks but they do have the luxury of an olympic sized practice sheet to prepare on.

Should be a fantastic game and potential preview of things to come for both teams.

Prediction. ND wins 4-2 with ENG.

Comment

With Haula, I think the Gophers win this game by 2, without him in the lineup though it's a 1 goal win by the Gophs.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
            With Haula, I think the Gophers win this game by 2, without him in the lineup though it's a 1 goal win by the Gophs.
            Hate to think it, but after their big win over BC, with all the pre-game buildup, I see a letdown by the Gophers. And, I think we'll get a sample of just how much Haula means to the team.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I see Notre Dame coming out on top, 4-2, with an empty net goal at the end.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Looking forward to this matchup. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Hate to think it, but after their big win over BC, with all the pre-game buildup, I see a letdown by the Gophers. And, I think we'll get a sample of just how much Haula means to the team.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I see Notre Dame coming out on top, 4-2, with an empty net goal at the end.
                Agreed. I would love to eat some crow, though.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Agreed. I would love to eat some crow, though.
                  I'd like to think the BC win was less about, "being jacked up" and any resultant euphoria and more about the team coming off the break with a mission in mind. I think a lot of us would agree that: 1) Coming into the season this team had realistically high expectations 2) Wilcox has been a rock 3) There is a ton of depth especially on the blue line.

I think many of us have argued back and forth about the team not fulfilling 2 of the 3 for most of the season sans the MSU series, but I don't think we should suddenly forget those beliefs just because they've had a few ties and losses we preferred not happen. An 8-1 win over BC should not to any legitimate degree be seen as a target point, but at the same time even a 1-3 goal victory could be expected based upon what we envisioned before it all began.

All said that means nothing when they play Notre Dame - they could crap the bed or they could play awesomely and still get beat, but imho the BC game is more reflective of their potential when they have their heads on straight, play with grit, drive the net and play for the dirty goal as much as the perfectly setup one-timer or open look goal.

I am not afraid of this game. Not in the belief that they cannot lose but because I do not envision them returning to the, "ho hum stinker mode" they've so often offered up in stretches so far this season.

Comment

I'll be in the same boat if they play real well in this game, win or lose.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Curious to see if Mario Lucia and Mike Reilly are in the lineup tomorrow night.
                      Originally posted by CavalryNate
                      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't recall what happened last year when the Gophers lost to Notre Dame....did a ton of people hit the panic button?
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          I don't recall what happened last year when the Gophers lost to Notre Dame....did a ton of people hit the panic button?
                          Just Scooby...
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            Curious to see if Mario Lucia and Mike Reilly are in the lineup tomorrow night.
                            From what I understand Lucia WILL be in the lineup for Notre Dame tomorrow night. I suppose it's possible that he wouldn't need the extra recovery time because he didn't get much ice time at the World Juniors.

Then again, I would think the long travel back (jet lag) would be the main reason why some rest time would be needed. And, although Reilly got plenty of ice time, he did play defense and didn't see more than a regular shift, one of six. And there will be four plus rest days in between games, which you would think be enough from a physical standpoint.

I was told the other night by "someone who knows" that Mike has been lobbying very hard to play, and that there has been "a lot of discussion" about him playing in the Gopher lockerroom. It will be interesting to see if he's in the lineup, and if so how much ice time he does get. Even though the Gophers have enough depth at the position to do well enough without him, I do think the Gophers would have a better chance to win with him out there.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by NDgolden View Post
                              This will a solid measuring stick for both teams. Notre Dame is a big physical team that will skate four lines and wear you down. Very disciplined defensively and have found a goal tender in Steven Summerhays who is performing extremely well as is Minnesota's Wilcox. ND is led by its 12 member Junior class who have all tasted early success with a freshman Final Four appearance and last years disappointing sophomore year. Line match ups will more than likely have ND Lee's line (Costello & Rust) vs. Bjugstad's (Rau & possibly Isackson or Condon) the 2nd Line match-ups have ND's Tynan (Lucia & Voran) vs. Condon or Isackson replacing the injured Haula with Budish. The injury to Haula should present a very favorable match-up for ND's 2nd line. Condon will likely center Minnesota's second line to offset the speed issue of Tynan and Voran. The size and experience factor of the defense goes to ND, Goaltending is statistically a tie. Penalities will play a key in this game and could be problematic for ND if they do not play a disciplined game. This is also ND's first game in 3-1/2 weeks but they do have the luxury of an olympic sized practice sheet to prepare on.
                              The gophers may be flat due to expectations but they do not get worn down. Esp on home ice. I don't see ND having a favorable match up on the second line. Without Haula, it may be even.

I think some of you guys are a bit too polite. The Gophs are the better team and they're at home. IMO the team will have a subpar game but against another team maybe UAA and not against ND. I have been nervous about the gophers early in the season when many on the site were bullish. I see them ready to play in this one.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X