Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
    Out of curiosity who is the "host school" in Pittsburgh?
    Robert Morris.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
      Out of curiosity who is the "host school" in Pittsburgh?
      Robert Morris
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        That was a little weird hearing hockey fans chant Alabama. It reminded me of when Wisconsin brought the Ax to the Minnesota-Wisconsin hockey game a year or two ago.
        Your objective concern has given us all a great reason for pause and reflection.

A decent game and result, but did seem to lack the energy of the BC game despite the goal discrepancy.

Comment

Notre Dame plays a much more defensive game than BC, which did cause some portions of the game to be a little stagnant rather than the racehorse style of the Gopher vs BC game. They are very solid in their own end.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

As expected, this was a close checking D battle tonight between two of the top defenses in the nation. Overall, an excellent defensive effort by the Gophers, who never trailed in the game tonight (Grade: A), shutting down momentary surges by a good ND team with a fast transition game. The big story tonight was getting the early 2 goal lead 7 minutes into the 1st period and limiting Notre Dame scoring chances throughout the game with a solid D effort by the Gophers. The Gophers outshot ND 26-23, but the real story was limiting ND to a grand total of only 1 Grade A scoring chance (2nd period) for the entire game. Wow.

IMO Nate Condon, who played at center growing up, did a superb job in stepping in for Haula and notching the first goal while Budish set the screen on Summerhays. Sam Warning, who has really picked up his game lately on the 2nd line, scored the GWG and now has 8 pts in the last 7 games. Adam Wilcox had a couple excellent saves at critical times to shut down ND's momentum at key points in the game and improved to 13-2-3 (Grade: A).

The Gophers are now 8-0 in non-conference play. Beating both BC and Notre Dame is a huge momentum and confidence builder for the Gophers going into WCHA play this weekend against UAA. Final: Gophers 4, Notre Dame 1.

Go Gophers!

Comment

Isackson's goal made SportsCenter top plays. Announcer mentioned the student section chanting "Alabama". Rare college hockey mention on SC. Probably because it was Notre Dame, on a Tuesday night and it was #1 vs. #2. Sometimes the stars have to be aligned to get on SC.
              Originally posted by Skeeterman
              Ski yo momma!
              Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
              Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
                Isackson's goal made SportsCenter top plays. Announcer mentioned the student section chanting "Alabama". Rare college hockey mention on SC. Probably because it was Notre Dame, on a Tuesday night and it was #1 vs. #2. Sometimes the stars have to be aligned to get on SC.
                Must have been a slow newsday for SC to show college hockey. Isackson has excellent stickhandling skills. With more experience, he'll be a huge asset in the next few seasons for the Gophers.

Comment

I thought Notre Dame was pretty scary. I can't recall seeing the Gophers have that much trouble breaking out of their end in a looong time. The Irish set up their cycle and kept it going for long periods, fortunately the Gophers played solid defensive positioning and ND got very few grade A chances out of their cycles. Also, the Gophs had a hard time setting a cycle in the ND end and ND broke out real effectively. Gophs were a little lucky to get the early lead or it would have been a very different game - I'd hate to have to play ND while trailing.

Overall great effort against a very good team. Love to see them meet again in Pittsburgh (with Haula playing this time)!

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                    Notre Dame plays a much more defensive game than BC, which did cause some portions of the game to be a little stagnant rather than the racehorse style of the Gopher vs BC game. They are very solid in their own end.
                    Yeah. Notre Dame seems like they prefered to play with more control and less offensive risk. Problem is the Gophers middle name is puck control...and this year, can afford to play with offensive risk as well.

Another interesting note...

In the 15-plus seasons of the USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll, a No. 1 team had never won a home game against a No. 2 team
                    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

That was a little weird hearing hockey fans chant Alabama. It reminded me of when Wisconsin brought the Ax to the Minnesota-Wisconsin hockey game a year or two ago.

Oh well. Congrats to the Gophers on the win, and now I can go back to cheering against Minnesota until they play DU.
                      I actually agree. I didn't mind the Roll Gophers thing as much before the game but the chant during the game struck me as a little odd. At least the chant didn't have the same effect on ND as bringing the axe to the game had on the Gophers who went on to win that game.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Another interesting note...

In the 15-plus seasons of the USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll, a No. 1 team had never won a home game against a No. 2 team
                        Yep. In the six previous losses by a No. 1 at home, it was MN on the short end three times. Nice to see you guys finally win one.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Oh well. Congrats to the Gophers on the win, and now I can go back to cheering against Minnesota until they play DU.
                          While I kind of agree with you, the two-handed facepalm by the Notre Dame fan in the next section over from the student section was literally worth the price of admission! In all seriousness, I think the student section played it well by not busting that out immediately. Instead they waited until the game was in hand for the Gophers. I was ok with it.

As others have noted, Notre Dame is a good team and they kept it a close game. had the Gophers not capitalized on the two 1st period goals, who knows? The save on the breakaway by Wilcox was also a big one! It was a fun game to be at and it was surprisingly very well attended for a Tuesday night game, especially with how many people were complaining about it.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Yep. In the six previous losses by a No. 1 at home, it was MN on the short end three times. Nice to see you guys finally win one.
                            Seems to be a frequent problem...this no. 1 ranking.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

I have a feeling that should these teams meet again ND will open things up offensively even if it's not their normal style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                I have a feeling that should these teams meet again ND will open things up offensively even if it's not their normal style of play.
                                In many ways, Notre Dame played this game like I expected them to. The long layoff had as much to do with how they looked as anything. Well, that and Minnesota is clearly the best team in the NCAA right now. But last year there was no long layoff before the game at Mariucci. We crapped the bed in the worst way last year after beating you guys and right now the record is similar to last year. We'll see what happens the rest of the way, but I'm not counting my chickens as far as getting another crack at Minnesota just yet. We need to shake this one off and finish up the CCHA season like we've started it.

I got a kick out of the play-by-play guy. He counted down the time on PPs like it was a shot clock in basketball, and threw in the occasional baseball reference. It's actually nice to listen to a guy who does his homework though. He actually took the time to do the little things, like refer to the players as they refer to themselves and pronounce names correctly. Compared to our radio guy... well our radio guy doesn't quite compare.

Comment

Working...
                                X