PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

gopher wes
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I would agree on these game comparisons. I see ND's first line cancelling out MN's much like what occurred last year, as they excel in puck possession and are physically very tough, Lee draws a lot of penalties in front of the net setting up Tynan's 2nd line, which is also how ND runs their PP. The 1st and 2nd lines are ND'S PP units. ND has not played in 24 days and staying close and out of the box in the first period will be key. ND has great depth at forward and will skate four lines in attempt to wear teams down. Defensively ND will limit MN SOG and scoring chances with big physical defensemen and like Wilcox, stellar consistent goaltending. The team that plays with patience, discipline and stays out of the box will win this one.

ND 3-1 ENG
Lucia has never been afraid to roll four lines so that should be a wash as far as one team wearing down.

HarleyMC
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
"But I'll tell my guys he's No. 22 on their team just like T.J. Tynan's No. 18 and [Anders] Lee is No. 9," Lucia said. "You're not going to get in trouble if you knock him on his rear."

Whew....I'm glad Lucia cleared that up.:p I think there just might be a couple Gopher players that take tDon up on his invitation knock Mario on his ***. Even though Kyle Rau is 5'7" and Mario is 6'2", I'm pretty sure Rau-ser would do it.:D

state of hockey
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm betting that we see Helgy give it a shot.

As long as no one goes out of their way to do it.

HarleyMC
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Mark Alt will tackle him.

captain beefheart
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping Joyce is busy filling him up with some sleep inducing home cookin'. Gophers win 5-2

mnstate0fhockey
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Whew....I'm glad Lucia cleared that up.:p I think there just might be a couple Gopher players that take tDon up on his invitation knock Mario on his ***. Even though Kyle Rau is 5'7" and Mario is 6'2", I'm pretty sure Rau-ser would do it.:D

I believe Rau and Eden Prairie were undefeated against Lucia and Wayzata during the time they played each other in high school. Hope that trend continues :D

mnstate0fhockey
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Lucia has never been afraid to roll four lines so that should be a wash as far as one team wearing down.

This.

Red Cows
01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I've seen both teams, Notre Dame in person, and the Gophers on the tube, several times. Under normal circumstances I might have given the slight edge to the Fighting Irish.

The biggest differences/obstacles either way in the two teams that I note is that Minnesota has the best power play I have seen this season, by quite a bit, but, on the other hand, the Gophers also have an alarming tendency to get sloppy with the puck in their own end. Goaltending looks to be a wash.

These aren't normal circumstances, though. Notre Dame hasn't played since December 15th and the game is at Mariucci. Plus, Notre Dame hasn't played a team of anywhere near this caliber since before Thanksgiving. Rust factor prevails and Gophers win.

HarleyMC
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Defensively ND will limit MN SOG and scoring chances with big physical defensemen and like Wilcox, stellar consistent goaltending.

:D Actually the average height of the 8 defensemen on both ND and the Gophers is identical at 6'1" (rounded), but man for man the Gophers have the height advantage. Outshooting opponents is a perennial Gopher trademark. I don't see that changing tonight.

Games Outshot by Opponents

Gophers - 2
ND - 4

Shot Differential

Gophers - 189 (19G)
ND - 139 (18G)

Defensive Scoring

ND: 7-36-43
Gophers: 9-50-59

Fighting Sioux 23
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Defensive Scoring

ND: 7-36-43
Gophers: 9-50-59

I have the Gophers D'men with 9-40-49 scoring.

As for the game, I tend to agree with Red Cows. On a neutral ice sheet, I would consider this game pretty much a pure pick'em situation. However, given that the game is at Mariucci, I'll take Minnesota by a goal.

Go Gophers! :p:D:D

HarleyMC
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I have the Gophers D'men with 9-40-49 scoring.

As for the game, I tend to agree with Red Cows. On a neutral ice sheet, I would consider this game pretty much a pure pick'em situation. However, given that the game is at Mariucci, I'll take Minnesota by a goal.

Go Gophers! :p:D:D

Thanks...9-40-49 is correct.

D2D
01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Do to their hockey team what Alabama did to their football team!!! :p

Slap Shot
01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Great article on Don and Mario Lucia and the game tonight

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/185962362.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#continue

Cool article - thanks for the link.

MCgrad07
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Cool article - thanks for the link.

Agreed. I am excited that the game is on NESN in New England.

5mn_Major
01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
The gophers may be flat due to expectations but they do not get worn down. Esp on home ice. I don't see ND having a favorable match up on the second line. Without Haula, it may be even.

I think some of you guys are a bit too polite. The Gophs are the better team and they're at home. IMO the team will have a subpar game but against another team maybe UAA and not against ND. I have been nervous about the gophers early in the season when many on the site were bullish. I see them ready to play in this one.

Pretty much.

GopherBigGuy911
01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I think sweet home Alabama is defiantly the theme song for tonight ;-)

4four4
01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Nice win against a quality opponent.

Fighting Sioux 23
01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I think sweet home Alabama is defiantly the theme song for tonight ;-)

That was a little weird hearing hockey fans chant Alabama. It reminded me of when Wisconsin brought the Ax to the Minnesota-Wisconsin hockey game a year or two ago.

Oh well. Congrats to the Gophers on the win, and now I can go back to cheering against Minnesota until they play DU.

Driftryder
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Great win over a very tough team, keeps our non-conference record perfect which should go a long way with the pwr at the end of the year.

GopherBigGuy911
01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
That was a little weird hearing hockey fans chant Alabama. It reminded me of when Wisconsin brought the Ax to the Minnesota-Wisconsin hockey game a year or two ago.

Oh well. Congrats to the Gophers on the win, and now I can go back to cheering against Minnesota until they play DU.
A whole lot better than hearing that **** Holy Cross Chant.... :(