This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pairwise and Bracketology 2013 Edition

They re-seed the six teams using regular season records. The one and two (SCSU and the Gophs) get a bye to the Semis.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
      I assume if DU falls to CC tomorrow they would end up a 4 seed in Manchester or Providence. That sound right?
      They could well end up a 4 seed. Even then, odds are about 1/3 of going east (DU as a 4 is not going where Minny is). But, maybe a low 3 also. It depends: Does Niagara lose along the way? Does Mankato win or lose tomorrow? How far does CC or Wisconsin or BU go before they lose? Or Union or RPI? All these things combine and enter in.

This is why it has been said that at this point, there is no reason to guess where a team is going, except for the top teams - QU, Minny, Miami in this case. Everything else could change at the result of the last game - CCHA Final. The best anyone can do right now is a rough estimate of which seed a team may end up as : for example, if DU loses, are they a 3 or a 4??

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        WCHA playoffs... are the brackets hard after this weekend? Or do they re-seed for the semis?
        A little more, Patman: The bracket is fixed. 4/5 plays St Cloud. 3/6 plays Minnesota. For attendance's sake, the Friday night game is Minnesota's. The thought has been: It isn't fair to force a team to play Thursday night, and then Friday afternoon against a rested opponent. So, afternoon winner plays Friday afternoon, regardless or who it is, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
          They could well end up a 4 seed. Even then, odds are about 1/3 of going east (DU as a 4 is not going where Minny is). But, maybe a low 3 also. It depends: Does Niagara lose along the way? Does Mankato win or lose tomorrow? How far does CC or Wisconsin or BU go before they lose? Or Union or RPI? All these things combine and enter in.

This is why it has been said that at this point, there is no reason to guess where a team is going, except for the top teams - QU, Minny, Miami in this case. Everything else could change at the result of the last game - CCHA Final. The best anyone can do right now is a rough estimate of which seed a team may end up as : for example, if DU loses, are they a 3 or a 4??
          I completely agree that locations beyond one seeds are impossible to predict right now. DU typically gets farmed out east and plays an early game in an almost completely empty rink. There could be six WCHA teams that make it which will make the task tough for the committee if that were to really happen.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

A little more, Patman: The bracket is fixed. 4/5 plays St Cloud. 3/6 plays Minnesota. For attendance's sake, the Friday night game is Minnesota's. The thought has been: It isn't fair to force a team to play Thursday night, and then Friday afternoon against a rested opponent. So, afternoon winner plays Friday afternoon, regardless or who it is, etc.
            OK, since I have the pairwise running I want to run a small simulator... no model... results have an equal chance. That being said, it still takes a bit to set up.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I completely agree that locations beyond one seeds are impossible to predict right now. DU typically gets farmed out east and plays an early game in an almost completely empty rink. There could be six WCHA teams that make it which will make the task tough for the committee if that were to really happen.
              That empty rink comment, MM. Save it for after the Regions, when we complain about poor attendance, and the NCAA does a bad job with this tourney, etc....

I have a proposal to put up for that. Priceless and Almington will probably slay me for it. It is a "Hockey Regions Should be Double Elimination" proposal. Idea being that hockey is a game given to bounces, to let the lads lose twice in the region before they are out. It takes 2 weeks of Regions to do it though......
              Last edited by Numbers; 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

OK, since I have the pairwise running I want to run a small simulator... no model... results have an equal chance. That being said, it still takes a bit to set up.
                Yeah, I figured you were working on that....

Comment

I have a proposal to put up for that. Priceless and Almington will probably slay me for it. It is a "Hockey Regions Should be Double Elimination" proposal. Idea being that hockey is a game given to bounces, to let the lads lose twice in the region before they are out. It takes 2 weeks of Regions to do it though......
                  Save this one for another life! The current system is set in stone.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    That empty rink comment, MM. Save it for after the Regions, when we complain about poor attendance, and the NCAA does a bad job with this tourney, etc....

No, because the F4 would also take 5 or 6 games and that would destroy the event nature of the F4.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      No, because the F4 would also take 5 or 6 games and that would destroy the event nature of the F4.
                      Agreed. You also don't have attendance issues with the F4. No one can touch that.....

Back to the PWR. Can UW make the field without winning the F5?

Comment

Back to the PWR. Can UW make the field without winning the F5?
                        Just texting my buddy on that. If Denver wins tomorrow and they beat Denver they might get in. If CC wins I think they'd have to run the table. As well as they are coached and are playing they could do it.
                        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Length of time precludes double-elimination. Baseball can get away with it because you can play two games in a day.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Just texting my buddy on that. If Denver wins tomorrow and they beat Denver they might get in. If CC wins I think they'd have to run the table. As well as they are coached and are playing they could do it.
                            Using WCHA only results: CC wins, then the higher seed wins every game except Wisconsin over SC in the semis. UW ends up 16th. So, take Niagara to win AH, QU to win ECAC, RPI to have no more than one more win, and BU not win the HE, and Miami or Notre Dame win the CCHA. All of which is not at all difficult to imagine.

Comment

Just realized if CC wins tomorrow they would most likely be the 6th seed and face UND (assuming they beat Tech). Leaving Bucky to face either UNO or MSU. With a win, Bucky would then face the Gophs in the Friday Semi. Knocking them off would land them in the tourney.
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Length of time precludes double-elimination. Baseball can get away with it because you can play two games in a day.
                                Right. The only way you can even think of the idea is if you do it in Regions only. Take 4 sets of 4 teams. First weekend, everyone plays 2 games, so you eliminate 1 team. Next weekend, match 2 pairs at 2 regions, so you have 6 teams there. You carry your losses over. It takes 5 games in 3 days to send 2 teams to the FF. FF is single elimination.

It's too contrived, really, but it's fun to think about. I would do the first weekend at the campus sites of the 4 top seeds, and then only have 2 regionals out for bids.

Comment

Working...
                                X