This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    I don't believe so, but that is what they did with the Common Opponent part of the comparisons.
    Yes.

---

From a pure geekery perspective I'm working on something similar to Rutter's method.... Bayesian but as of now, no random effects. We'll see how it gets put together. It ties in lightly (but not much at all) with current research. (Rutter, if you're out there, I've been working w Bayesian nonparametrics... The idea here is I can get to common links using scale mixture normal... So I just put a prior on the SMN inducing r.v. for the variance.)

---

In the off-season, especially if I'm a sequester victim, I would like to advance on the simulator idea. I still believe the hard part is working in league tie-breakers and the most confusing parts are the tournament formats. For me the modeling (frequentist) part is easy(-ish). It's the moving bits that suck.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: Pairwise and Bracketology 2013 Edition

With the victory over Yale tonight, Quinnipiac appears to have wrapped up the #1 seed in Providence. If QU loses its remaining regular season games (Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard) and Minnesota wins their remaining games (UMD, 2 v Denver, 2 v Bemidji) the Bobcats would still be ahead of the Gophers (TUC and COp). The same is true of Miami (Lake State, 2 v Ohio State). The Gophers could (in theory) drop all the way out of the field because they have those two games with Bemidji (losses would cripple their RPI). As long as the Gophers win against Bemidji and whichever team they draw in the WCHA 1st round, they should be the #1 seed in Grand Rapids. Miami appears to have also clinched an NCAA berth, barring something wacky in the CCHA tournament. They could still fall to a #2 seed.

Everyone else still has work to do.

Bracketology will be up after this North Dakota v Denver game. Preview: Boston University is out of the field, replaced by the St Lawrence Saints. That should alleviate the logjam we had with three Hockey East teams taking #4 seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        With the victory over Yale tonight, Quinnipiac appears to have wrapped up the #1 seed in Providence. If QU loses its remaining regular season games (Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard) and Minnesota wins their remaining games (UMD, 2 v Denver, 2 v Bemidji) the Bobcats would still be ahead of the Gophers (TUC and COp). The same is true of Miami (Lake State, 2 v Ohio State). The Gophers could (in theory) drop all the way out of the field because they have those two games with Bemidji (losses would cripple their RPI). As long as the Gophers win against Bemidji and whichever team they draw in the WCHA 1st round, they should be the #1 seed in Grand Rapids. Miami appears to have also clinched an NCAA berth, barring something wacky in the CCHA tournament. They could still fall to a #2 seed.

Everyone else still has work to do.

Bracketology will be up after this North Dakota v Denver game. Preview: Boston University is out of the field, replaced by the St Lawrence Saints. That should alleviate the logjam we had with three Hockey East teams taking #4 seeds.
        Careful with your preview, Priceless. I am getting, compared to last week: No Dame replaces Union, and either Alaska (if they win or tie??) or St Lawrence replaces BU. Merrimack still gets the Hockey East auto bid, right?
        Last edited by Numbers; 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
          Careful with your preview, Priceless. I am getting, compared to last week: No Dame replaces Union, and either Alaska (if they win or tie??) or St Lawrence replaces BU. Merrimack still gets the Hockey East auto bid, right?
          Alaska is down 1-0 to Michigan State after two. If they come back to win they would sneak into the field. A tie or a loss and they would remain outside. Union was not in the field because Merrimack was the Hockey East autobid. They would win it again, but if Sparty holds on for a win or tie, the would be #16 anyway.

* This is all based on Denver winning, as they were up 5-3 when I did these calculations...if the Whioux come back that might change things.
          Last edited by Priceless; 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

As things stand right now:

Code:
            Manchester (UNH)		Providence (Brown)	Toledo (BGSU)		Grand Rapids (Michigan)
            New Hamp			Quinnipiac		Miami			Minnesota
            Boston C			Niagara			No Dakota		Mankato
            St Cloud			Denver			Yale			W Michigan
            Notre Dame			Merrimack		Lowell			St Lawrence
            It would be very tempting for the committee to switch ND and SLU but I don't think they would. Swapping out NoDak/Yale and Niagara/Denver would reduce the flights.

If Alaska comes back:
            Code:
            Manchester (UNH)		Providence (Brown)	Toledo (BGSU)		Grand Rapids (Michigan)
            New Hamp			Quinnipiac		Miami			Minnesota
            Boston C			Denver			No Dakota		Mankato
            St Cloud			Yale			Niagara			W Michigan
            Notre Dame			Merrimack		Lowell			Alaska

Comment

These are pretty good brackets, but.. what happens if: Yale continues to lose a few more, and 2, CC drops out as a TUC?
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Alaska is down 1-0 to Michigan State after two. If they come back to win they would sneak into the field. A tie or a loss and they would remain outside. Union was not in the field because Merrimack was the Hockey East autobid. They would win it again, but if Sparty holds on for a win or tie, the would be #16 anyway.

* This is all based on Denver winning, as they were up 5-3 when I did these calculations...if the Whioux come back that might change things.
                Glad the Pios could help out, Priceless.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

The 2010 Northern Michigan squad was ranked #23 and still earned at an-large bid.

Code:
                  23	Rensselaer
                  Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  a
                  At this moment, RPI is in 15th, the last team into the tournament.

Comment

Assuming North Dakota and St Cloud maintain their leads, the game in Alaska does not impact bracketology.

Code:
                    Manchester (UNH)	Providence (Brown)		Toledo (BGSU)		Grand Rapids (Michigan)
                    New Hamp		Quinnipiac			Miami			Minnesota
                    Boston C		Niagara			        Mankato			N Dakota
                    Denver			St Cloud			Lowell			W Michigan
                    Dartmouth		Merrimack			Yale			Notre Dame
                    Attendance-wise, this is about as good a bracket as we're going to see. Three local teams in Manchester, two each in Grand Rapids and Providence and Miami anchoring Toledo.

Comment

Talk about a Group of Death...

Comment

At this moment, RPI is in 15th, the last team into the tournament.
                        I guess that we slipped. Considering where we were in mid-January, this certainly isn't bad.

I wonder how many ECAC teams will make the tourney. Besides for QU, no one is guaranteed, but more than half the league is in a position to get an at large bit with a run (not all simultaneously, of course).
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Very interesting movement in the PWR as Robert Morris has skyrocketed into a tie for 17th as they now have 10 TUC games. Should Niagara and Robert Morris keep winning all their games and RMU beats NU in the AHA semifinals and then loses to say Holy Cross in the championship it is possible to see 3 AHA teams in the field. By the same token if Niagara loses two to Air Force this weekend Atlantic Hockey may be down to just the champion getting in as AFA beat RMU 3 times and AFA could move back in as a TUC with 2 wins.
                          Last edited by BC/HE; 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            Very interesting movement in the PWR as Robert Morris has skyrocketed into a tie for 17th as they now have 10 TUC games. Should Niagara and Robert Morris keep winning all their games and RMU beats NU in the AHA semifinals and then loses to say Holy Cross in the championship it is possible to see 3 AHA teams in the field. By the same token if Niagara loses two to Air Force this weekend Atlantic Hockey may be down to just the champion getting in as AFA beat RMU 3 times and AFA could move back in as a TUC with 2 wins.
                            Excellent commentary. Thank you. And, it brings up the favorite hobby of a few years ago: Bashing the PWR. No decent system would allow such fluctuations in everyone's fate by what happens with a very mid-pack team, AFA for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                              Excellent commentary. Thank you. And, it brings up the favorite hobby of a few years ago: Bashing the PWR. No decent system would allow such fluctuations in everyone's fate by what happens with a very mid-pack team, AFA for example.
                              As they say, you are only supposed to calculate it at the end of the season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Assuming North Dakota and St Cloud maintain their leads, the game in Alaska does not impact bracketology.

Code:
                                Manchester (UNH)	Providence (Brown)		Toledo (BGSU)		Grand Rapids (Michigan)
                                New Hamp		Quinnipiac			Miami			Minnesota
                                Boston C		Niagara			        Mankato			N Dakota
                                Denver			St Cloud			Lowell			W Michigan
                                Dartmouth		Merrimack			Yale			Notre Dame
                                Attendance-wise, this is about as good a bracket as we're going to see. Three local teams in Manchester, two each in Grand Rapids and Providence and Miami anchoring Toledo.
                                If this bracket held, the Grand Rapids regional would be great and, most likely, a HUGE attendance draw! One would hope?!?!
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X