PDA

View Full Version : Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Dirty
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
The Big Ten HC has far more resources, far better name recognition nationally, and a far better TV deal (which translates into far more national exposure). You're fooling yourself if you don't think this will translate into recruiting advantages long-term.

If I were the Gophers, I'd stop playing UND regularly indefinitely. Would almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities. Hard to imagine all this would be good for UND's recruiting foot print in the Twin Cities.

Spiteful fellow, aren't you? What did UND do to you that makes you want to stop playing them so adamantly? Nonetheless, assuming the Gophers followed your philosophy and began ducking UND, it would not almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twins Cities. This isn't the 1980's, kids have other avenues of following teams besides the Star Tribune.

cross cheque
12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
The Big Ten HC has far more resources, far better name recognition nationally, and a far better TV deal (which translates into far more national exposure). You're fooling yourself if you don't think this will translate into recruiting advantages long-term.

If I were the Gophers, I'd stop playing UND regularly indefinitely. Would almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities. Hard to imagine all this would be good for UND's recruiting foot print in the Twin Cities.

Are we still talking about the most highly followed hockey team in North America right now? I'm sure it will be awful for UND :rolleyes:

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Are we still talking about the most highly followed hockey team in North America right now? I'm sure it will be awful for UND :rolleyes:

To answer your question, I'll refer you to the words of Puck Swami:

Minnesota is, in my opinion, the important college hockey program in America. While other college hockey programs are important to their state or area, Minnesota has the largest fan base, the largest TV impact, and most importantly, is vital cog for the culture of hockey in America financing the WCHA through the hosting of the Final Five, maintaining a Big 10 presence of credibility, and enabling the growth of American hockey by setting the bar for the development of hockey in other states.

<a href="http://puckswami.blogspot.com/2008/11/university-of-minnesota-golden-gophers.html?m=1">Link</a>

So, no. We're talking about UND, not the Gophers.

Pump It Up
12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
To answer your question, I'll refer you to the words of Puck Swami:

<a href="http://puckswami.blogspot.com/2008/11/university-of-minnesota-golden-gophers.html?m=1">Link</a>

So, no. We're talking about UND, not the Gophers.

Oh god. Why don't you start a thread about it Doug?

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh god. Why don't you start a thread about it Doug?

Take it up with cross dress. He was the one boasting that UND is "the most followed team". I just pointed out that he was wrong :)

Dirty
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Take it up with cross dress. He was the one boasting that UND is "the most followed team". I just pointed out that he was wrong :)

Whether cross cheque is correct or not, you did not prove he was wrong by posting a blog entry from Puck Swami.

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Spiteful fellow, aren't you? What did UND do to you that makes you want to stop playing them so adamantly? Nonetheless, assuming the Gophers followed your philosophy and began ducking UND, it would not almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twins Cities. This isn't the 1980's, kids have other avenues of following teams besides the Star Tribune.

The UND rivalry is fine and dandy, but I'd like to play a diverse NC schedule. And getting your program off of our *** and back on to Canada's would be a pleasant side effect. And keep telling yourself it won't nearly eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities.

Sure, the handful of games UND plays on CBS Sports will be viewable here, but the most of the rest of your games no longer will be because of the crappy TV deal you signed.

And yes, you'll make a weekend appearance to play at the crappy Target Center (Thank God your fans won't have a chance to punch more holes in our beautiful XCel Energy Center) in a conference tournament our local media may not cover (and if it does it will be as an afterthought).

So you're right, UND's visibility in the Twin Cities won't completely disappear, but it will diminish to the point that I'd categorize it as insignificant.

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Whether cross cheque is correct or not, you did not prove he was wrong by posting a blog entry from Puck Swami.

Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did :)

Dirty
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did :)

But you didn't prove him wrong.

And by a diverse NC schedule you mean all the teams in Minnesota. I must admit that is rather diverse.

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
But you didn't prove him wrong.

And by a diverse NC schedule you mean all the teams in Minnesota. I must admit that is rather diverse.

If you're just going to repeat yourself, I will too :)

Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did.

And by diverse I mean the likes of BC, Notre Dame, BU, Northeastern (already have scheduling agreements) and various other high profile teams around the country. UND can be part of the rotation.

And supporting the other MN schools means more to me than supporting UND, so that's an easy choice.

Dirty
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
If you're just going to repeat yourself, I will too :)

Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did.

I guess I felt the need to repeat myself since you seem to be incorrectly under the impression that you proved cross cheque wrong. To show that cross cheque is wrong you would need to present evidence rather than posting other people's opinions. I'm only trying to help educate you here.

dggoddard
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
And by diverse I mean the likes of BC, Notre Dame, BU, Northeastern (already have scheduling agreements) and various other high profile teams around the country. UND can be part of the rotation.
When did fans like you get to determine who the Gophers schedule?

I'll be amazed if Lucia ever schedules a regular season series ever again with UND as long as he's coach of the Gophers.

PS - Its got nothing to do with the logo

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
I guess I felt the need to repeat myself since you seem to be incorrectly under the impression that you proved cross cheque wrong. To show that cross cheque is wrong you would need to present evidence rather than posting other people's opinions. I'm only trying to help educate you here.

I have more of a consensus than you or Cross Dress do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did.

dogs2012
12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Why is everyone so worried about the NCHC? I'd be more worried about the BTHC. Better TV deal? Where? When has the Big Ten Network ever been a good television station? It hasn't. UMD, St. Cloud, and UND recruit different types of players than does the Gophers. Not to mention, a lot of players (yes, even from the cities) choose to go elsewhere. I believe in 5-10 years you're going to see the NCHC and HE being the premiere conferences. How do you hope to have good recruiting when your pitch is, "Come play for Minnesota, you'll get to play two sh**ty teams, two somewhat decent teams, and Michigan 4 times a year". HE got the best deal out of the realignment, hands down.

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
When did fans like you get to determine who the Gophers schedule?

I'll be amazed if Lucia ever schedules a regular season series ever again with UND as long as he's coach of the Gophers.

PS - Its got nothing to do with the logo

When we pay for tickets, purchase merchandise, etc...

And you're wrong, Lucia already said they are going to schedule UND in 4 years when the BC and Notre Dame scheduling deals expire. Which goes to show how completely full of it you usually are.

PS - That includes your comment on the logo ;)

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Why is everyone so worried about the NCHC? I'd be more worried about the BTHC. Better TV deal? Where? When has the Big Ten Network ever been a good television station? It hasn't. UMD, St. Cloud, and UND recruit different types of players than does the Gophers. Not to mention, a lot of players (yes, even from the cities) choose to go elsewhere. I believe in 5-10 years you're going to see the NCHC and HE being the premiere conferences. How do you hope to have good recruiting when your pitch is, "Come play for Minnesota, you'll get to play two sh**ty teams, two somewhat decent teams, and Michigan 4 times a year". HE got the best deal out of the realignment, hands down.

Haha..... So, you think the CBS Sports deal the NCHC has (not to mention the national exclusitivity provision that will seriously cut the amount of UND and DU games seen nationally) is a better deal than the Big Ten Network (which is on a lower sports tier and in more households nationally and has no exclusivity provision)?

Dooh Kay.

Biddco
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Haha..... So, you think the CBS Sports deal the NCHC has (not to mention the national exclusitivity provision that will seriously cut the amount of UND and DU games seen nationally) is a better deal than the Big Ten Network (which is on a lower sports tier and in more households nationally and has no exclusivity provision)?

Dooh Kay.Tuesday night college hockey is when all the cool kids are watching.

4four4
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM

You keep telling yourself that and maybe it might come true. lol

4four4
12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Tuesday night college hockey is when all the cool kids are watching.

Nobody is watching college hockey on any given night. ;)

JDUBBS1280
12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Tuesday night college hockey is when all the cool kids are watching.

Few things. I'd rather have that then a significantly decreased number of games seen nationally. And only a few games for each team a season will be mid-week.

Again, what a reach. Just be honest and admit the Big Ten will have a significant advantage in TV coverage. You only look like a foolish homer arguing they won't.