Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    No one said less visibility is a good thing. I just think it will have a very minor impact.

The reason that the Gophers recruit so well in the Twin Cities is because they are the home team. They are the closest team. The kids grew up watching the games with their parents. Your argument seems to be that because UND is going to be on FSN 2 or 4 fewer times a year, that their recruiting power in the Twin Cities will decrease. I don't buy it. I have DirecTV and I don't have the sports package and I get CBS sports network. When I had comcast, it was an extra 8 bucks a month to get the extra sports channels. The games will still be visible. Not that I think many people in the Twin Cities watch UND hockey games, but if they want to watch them they can.

Austin Poganski chose UND. He lives in St. Cloud. He can watch over half of the SCSU games. He can watch almost 100% of the Gophers games. He still chose UND.

The Gophers win more recruiting battles than they lose in the Twin Cities. But you can make a pretty good team with the ones they either lost out on or flat out missed. Nick Mattson, Andrew Prochno, Ben Hanowski, Nick Jensen, Joseph Labate, Tyler Barnes, Tony Cameranesi, Caleb Herbert, Ryan Walters. The only time any of those teams are on TV in the Twin Cities is when they play the Gophers. But there is no shortage of talent in "Gopher Country" and other schools still get their share of good players from that area. I don't think it will change just because the NCHC schools are no longer playing the Gophers 2 or 4 times a year.
    Number of points to respond to here.

Yes, the Gophers win the majority of battles because they are the home team. Or as you put it, the team "kids grew up watching". But guys like Danny Kristo also grew up watching UND. They won't be able to as much anymore. It isn't just two less games. The NCHC's new TV deal wil mean much less UND games on TV in much of Minnesota because of the exclusivity clause.

Austin Poganski isn't a Twin Cities kid. The impact outside the Twin Cities won't be as big as inside IMO.

I never said UND won't get any kids from Minnesota or be able to win any recruiting battles with the Gophers for Twin Cities kids again. I'm saying the conference realignment will probably make it more difficult to out recruit the Gophers for MN kids both teams are vying for (especiallyTwin Cities kids) than it was before.

Comment

• Re: Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      UND beats Minnesota in attendance. Part of that has to do with arena size, part of it should be credited to your fanbase for consistently turning out.

But TV reaches more people than show up at games and it can be argued that the TV accessability of Gopher games (among other factors) explains the lower game attendance.
      Population of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area: 3,615,902 (US: 13th)

Population of the Grand Forks "Metro" Area: 98,054 (US: 346th)

Comment

Cross Cheque - Getting tired of this discussion, so last post on it.
        Number of points to respond to here.
        With apologies to IrishHockeyFan.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post

Also, another poster brought forth the topic of Notre Dame -- and possibly BC??? -- eventually being convinced to join the B1G. Again, not true. Notre Dame is not ever going to join the Big Ten. Never. My mission in life is to convince the rest of you that this is carved in stone. Notre Dame is not joining the Big Ten. Not for hockey, not for some sports but not football, and not with the entire athletic department. Not in part, not in whole.
          I said "IF" Delaney can recruit Notre Dame and BC to join the Big Ten then all bets are off. To be honest I hope Delaney isn't ever succesful bringing in more schools into the Big Ten. JFR, the Big Ten will never admit schools only for one sport in their minds it is all or nothing.

Here is an interesting post from GopherHole. Notre Dame and Big 10 Historical Perspective
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Which is why I said this

Bottom line, I think the Gophers have a larger pool of fans to reach and more accessability for them to do it. As was pointed out by Dogs, the mere fact that UND (a smaller school in a smaller town with less TV accessability) is even close is a big credit to your fanbase.

Comment

I think I have been far more reasonable and complimentary than anyone I have engaged in discussion with in this thread. More adult discussion and less foot stomping with fingers in your ears please.
              Calling him Cross Dress is adult?

You said you'd stop posting in this thread... follow true to your word. And also, you keep saying that you are more respected and your word is taken over Dirty and cross cheque's by fans of other team's bases. If we can put a poll up and prove to you its not true, not even close, will you stop posting?
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

You said you'd stop posting in this thread... follow true to your word. And also, you keep saying that you are more respected and your word is taken over Dirty and cross cheque's by fans of other team's bases. If we can put a poll up and prove to you its not true, not even close, will you stop posting?
                Please make this happen. Thank you.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Moderator: You can burn this thread now. It has a terminal case of Dubbervirus.

Dubber: If enough of us send you inflatable John Mariucci dolls will you start a thread limited solely to Minnesota hockey and stay there?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Those NCHC schools not named UMD and SCSU have relatively few Minnesota players on their roster. DU, CC, WMU and Miami have just 8 between them. UND and UNO have 6 each. As long as Dean Blais is at UNO they will have no trouble recruiting in Minnesota. UND, just because of it's geographic location and it's history will always be able to pick up the 4-6 Minnesota kids they have on their roster each year, whether they play UMD and SCSU, or not.
                    Not being on any TV sets in Minnesota could well be a faar bigger problem than you make it out to be. Ask the CHL...whereas its a huge threat in other parts of the country...its nonexistent in Minnesota. If you want to take that chance on that...good luck to you. Yet, your post seems to downplay the importance of having a healthy stable of Minnesota kids....hmm...

There are fewer Minnesotans on NCHC rosters this year than years past. But do keep in mind that right now if the tourney was being held today...of the WCHA only UND would make it in. Oh..and Minnesota and SCSU which happen to have a considerable number of Minnesotans on their roster. Not a glowing review for a conference short on Minnesota players.

Beyond that, five of the WCHA's top 8 scorers are from Minnesota. That includes the scoring leader at 3 NCHC teams. If you include #2 UND scorer Kristo, half of the teams have a top two scoring leader from Minnesota (both UNOs top scorers are from Minnesota). So even here, Minnesota players are doing what they can for NCHC teams.

Maybe the WCHA is down this year, but talent ebbs and flows. Not too long ago (2005) the WCHA indeed was doing about as well as it has in a generation ...4 teams in the frozen four. And the players in that frozen 4?

Minnesota 46
                    Colorado 14
                    Alberta 8
                    North Dakota 8
                    Manitoba 4
                    Saskatchewan 4
                    Alaska 3
                    California 3
                    Michigan 3
                    British Columbia 2
                    Illinois 2
                    New York 2
                    Wisconsin 2
                    Finland 1
                    Maryland 1
                    Missouri 1
                    New Hampshire 1
                    Nova Scotia 1
                    Ontario 1
                    Pennsylvania 1
                    Slovakia 1
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Slovakia 1
                      Hooray Sparky!
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Somehow you knew this discussion would evolve into a P******G contest between North Dakota and Minnesota Fans.

My only thought is why the H**L did the NCHC put its tournament at the Target Center. It makes much more sense to play the tournament in Omaha or Denver

Comment

Originally posted by It's Maverick Hockey Time View Post
                          Somehow you knew this discussion would evolve into a P******G contest between North Dakota and Minnesota Fans.

My only thought is why the H**L did the NCHC put its tournament at the Target Center. It makes much more sense to play the tournament in Omaha or Denver
                          It makes sense in the Twin Cities....just not at Target Center. Horrible for hockey. In the "off" years where the B1G Mistake is in Detroit....book the X. In the "on" years? Then yes, Omaha or Denver. Maybe even GF.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

He's beating a stupid subject into the ground, surprise, surprise, but Dirty and Cross Cheque are guilty of that too. Who cares who has a bigger following? Both have huge followings, and all parties arguing over which is bigger are being childish. So mark me down as a "none of the above" in the poll please.
                            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-28-2012, 12:45 AM.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              He's beating a stupid subject into the ground, surprise, surprise, but Dirty and Cross Cheque are guilty of that too. Who cares who has a bigger following? Both have huge followings, and all parties arguing over which is bigger are being childish. So mark me down as a "none of the above" in the poll please.
                              Lighten up Francis nobody is taking this seriously, we're just waiting for your leader jdubbs to take another hiatus so we can all get back to business.
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                                Lighten up Francis nobody is taking this seriously, we're just waiting for your leader jdubbs to take another hiatus so we can all get back to business.
                                Maybe you should both take one.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X