No announcement yet.

Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    What it might actually accomplish is the slowing of the same, slow slide into mediocrity that it's football conference took.

From 1988 until 2008 (21 seasons) when there were at first 12, and later 16 teams in the NCAA field, there were always either 3 or 4 Big 10 teams in the NCAAs, except for 2004 when all 5 made it.

The last four seasons, not so much. 2 in 2009, 2 in 2010, 1 in 2011, and finally 3 again last year, when Michigan St. snuck into the at-large field. You put all 6 teams into the same conference, you're pretty much guaranteed at least 2 make the big dance. But anyone who thinks the halcyon days of 12-15 years ago with 4 or even 5 of the teams making it, will return with a 6 team conference, forget it.
    Past performance is no indicator of future results especially in this case.

With only 20 conference games and even minor future tweeks to the Pairwise Formula will impact participation in the tourney. I'd be shocked if the B1G didn't average slightly over 3 teams a year over the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      I won't be. I'm guessing the mainstream media is itching to start covering more "traditional" BIG opponents that casual hockey fans and non-hockey fans in the area can relate to.
      I guess what I meant by my post was that I don't see any coverage of college hockey at all in the Twin Cities media, even the gophers. You might get a game day article, or a short summary of the previous night's game. Unless the hockey team happens to be doing a joint fundraiser with the Vikings, you won't hear about it. Unfortunately, the Twin Cities are not alone in this regard, but it's a pretty clear indication of the status of hockey as a niche sport.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Past performance is no indicator of future results especially in this case.

With only 20 conference games and even minor future tweeks to the Pairwise Formula will impact participation in the tourney. I'd be shocked if the B1G didn't average slightly over 3 teams a year over the next 10 years.
        Sure. And my post was at least partially in jest.

I fully expect the BTHC to average about 3 teams, or slightly more than 3 teams in the tournament each year. Why wouldn't it? If the WCHA as an 8 and 10 team league could get 4 in quite regularily, the BTHC should be no different.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I guess what I meant by my post was that I don't see any coverage of college hockey at all in the Twin Cities media, even the gophers. You might get a game day article, or a short summary of the previous night's game. Unless the hockey team happens to be doing a joint fundraiser with the Vikings, you won't hear about it. Unfortunately, the Twin Cities are not alone in this regard, but it's a pretty clear indication of the status of hockey as a niche sport.
          I guess I don't understand. The Gophers get plenty of coverage in the Twin Cities right now. Why would that change?

All but one game is televised this year. They are talked about a good deal on 1500 ESPN and KFAN (Lou Nanne, Kevin Gorg, Tom Chorske, Beyond the Pond, ect...). They get more newspaper coverage than most teams in the country too.

Playing traditional Big Ten opponents that casual fans can relate to will likely only increase interest and coverage in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Sure. And my post was at least partially in jest.

I fully expect the BTHC to average about 3 teams, or slightly more than 3 teams in the tournament each year. Why wouldn't it? If the WCHA as an 8 and 10 team league could get 4 in quite regularily, the BTHC should be no different.
            I think both the B1G and NCHC will have top teams that make it regularly and door mats that don't as often.
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              The Big Ten HC has far more resources, far better name recognition nationally, and a far better TV deal (which translates into far more national exposure). You're fooling yourself if you don't think this will translate into recruiting advantages long-term.

If I were the Gophers, I'd stop playing UND regularly indefinitely. Would almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities. Hard to imagine all this would be good for UND's recruiting foot print in the Twin Cities.
              Spiteful fellow, aren't you? What did UND do to you that makes you want to stop playing them so adamantly? Nonetheless, assuming the Gophers followed your philosophy and began ducking UND, it would not almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twins Cities. This isn't the 1980's, kids have other avenues of following teams besides the Star Tribune.
              Last edited by Dirty; 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

The Big Ten HC has far more resources, far better name recognition nationally, and a far better TV deal (which translates into far more national exposure). You're fooling yourself if you don't think this will translate into recruiting advantages long-term.

If I were the Gophers, I'd stop playing UND regularly indefinitely. Would almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities. Hard to imagine all this would be good for UND's recruiting foot print in the Twin Cities.
                Are we still talking about the most highly followed hockey team in North America right now? I'm sure it will be awful for UND
                Last edited by cross cheque; 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM.
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  Are we still talking about the most highly followed hockey team in North America right now? I'm sure it will be awful for UND
                  To answer your question, I'll refer you to the words of Puck Swami:

Originally posted by Puck Swami's Know Your Opponents
                  Minnesota is, in my opinion, the important college hockey program in America. While other college hockey programs are important to their state or area, Minnesota has the largest fan base, the largest TV impact, and most importantly, is vital cog for the culture of hockey in America – financing the WCHA through the hosting of the Final Five, maintaining a Big 10 presence of credibility, and enabling the growth of American hockey by setting the bar for the development of hockey in other states.
                  Link

So, no. We're talking about UND, not the Gophers.

Comment

To answer your question, I'll refer you to the words of Puck Swami:

Link

So, no. We're talking about UND, not the Gophers.
                    Oh god. Why don't you start a thread about it Doug?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                      Oh god. Why don't you start a thread about it Doug?
                      Take it up with cross dress. He was the one boasting that UND is "the most followed team". I just pointed out that he was wrong

Comment

Take it up with cross dress. He was the one boasting that UND is "the most followed team". I just pointed out that he was wrong
                        Whether cross cheque is correct or not, you did not prove he was wrong by posting a blog entry from Puck Swami.
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          Spiteful fellow, aren't you? What did UND do to you that makes you want to stop playing them so adamantly? Nonetheless, assuming the Gophers followed your philosophy and began ducking UND, it would not almost completely eliminate UND's visibility in the Twins Cities. This isn't the 1980's, kids have other avenues of following teams besides the Star Tribune.
                          The UND rivalry is fine and dandy, but I'd like to play a diverse NC schedule. And getting your program off of our *** and back on to Canada's would be a pleasant side effect. And keep telling yourself it won't nearly eliminate UND's visibility in the Twin Cities.

Sure, the handful of games UND plays on CBS Sports will be viewable here, but the most of the rest of your games no longer will be because of the crappy TV deal you signed.

And yes, you'll make a weekend appearance to play at the crappy Target Center (Thank God your fans won't have a chance to punch more holes in our beautiful XCel Energy Center) in a conference tournament our local media may not cover (and if it does it will be as an afterthought).

So you're right, UND's visibility in the Twin Cities won't completely disappear, but it will diminish to the point that I'd categorize it as insignificant.
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Whether cross cheque is correct or not, you did not prove he was wrong by posting a blog entry from Puck Swami.
                            Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did

Comment

Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did
                              But you didn't prove him wrong.

And by a diverse NC schedule you mean all the teams in Minnesota. I must admit that is rather diverse.
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

But you didn't prove him wrong.

And by a diverse NC schedule you mean all the teams in Minnesota. I must admit that is rather diverse.
                                If you're just going to repeat yourself, I will too

Well, I have more of a consensus than you do among reputable fans of other teams. And I'll add, I supported my premise far better than he did.

And by diverse I mean the likes of BC, Notre Dame, BU, Northeastern (already have scheduling agreements) and various other high profile teams around the country. UND can be part of the rotation.

And supporting the other MN schools means more to me than supporting UND, so that's an easy choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X