Great Lakes Invitational goes back INSIDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Lakes Invitational goes back INSIDE

Did they change the OT rules this year? Five minutes with a shootout for the semi finals at least.

Last year the Championship was 20 minutes.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I understand they have the shootout for time purposes, but I don't like it. Mostly because it looked like State hasn't practiced shootouts once.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

What bunch of bull****. Michigan and tech played to a 1-0 2OT deathmatch in the 2007 GLI final and now you're telling me they're using this shootout ****?
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I think the championship is still sudden death. Probably changed the semifinals and most likely the consolation to 5minOT/SO so people aren't there until midnight.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Not sure if there are any GLI historians out there, but in this era of the CCHA shoot-out, I don't recall any of the GLI semi-final games going to OT before tonight.

I can understand the 3rd place consolation game using the 5 minute OT and shootout, but I was disappointed to see this semifinal decided this way.

Seems like the only OT's I remember are the Michigan/MSU and Michigan/MTU final games since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
              Not sure if there are any GLI historians out there, but in this era of the CCHA shoot-out, I don't recall any of the GLI semi-final games going to OT before tonight.

I can understand the 3rd place consolation game using the 5 minute OT and shootout, but I was disappointed to see this semifinal decided this way.

Seems like the only OT's I remember are the Michigan/MSU and Michigan/MTU final games since 2007.
              Lots of OT games in GLI history - but the shootout rule was adopted for non championship games in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                I think the championship is still sudden death. Probably changed the semifinals and most likely the consolation to 5minOT/SO so people aren't there until midnight.
                Correct. Championship is unlimited sudden death, IIRC if it goes longer than 5:00 it's considered a tie for NCAA purposes.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  Correct. Championship is unlimited sudden death, IIRC if it goes longer than 5:00 it's considered a tie for NCAA purposes.
                  no it is not considered a tie.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Nice to see the way Michigan fans bail out on their team in the middle of the 3rd period. Lots of empty seats.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                      I think Michigan will pull it out this weekend and win their 3rd straight GLI.

If they play like they did their last game, they can beat each of these teams any night. Just need to play defense and have Janecyk have a game.

Will be tough with Trouba out at the WJCs but I think they can do it. Did it last year without Merrill, can do it again this year.
                      Nice prediction. They still gonna win the CCHA too?
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

A: 1981

Q: When was the last time the GLI championship game included neither Michigan State or Michigan.

Comment

Woooooooooot! Nice game by the boys tonight. And good goaltending certainly is nice to see.
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                            I think Michigan will pull it out this weekend and win their 3rd straight GLI.
                            *****http://dev.bukkit.org/media/images/37/414/NopeChuckTesta-2.jpg******

That was the Michigan team I saw at Munn this year.

Decided to bite the bullet this morning and got tickets for tomorrow. MSU-UM usually draws a large crowd, but I'm doubting that for a consolation game. In the championship I think I'll be a Husky fan.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Nice game, some really good goal-tending and can the announcers make any more excuses for the losing, classless team.

Comment

The punch off the bench was a bit sad... Granted Petan doesn't need to be dropping to one knee in front of the bench, but a punch from the bench? You take care of the that on the next shift.
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X