• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Team USA--WJC

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    GENIUS opinion

Great effort by an awesome team. The U.S. team ran Canada out of the rink
    I predicted the US would lose to Canada in the preliminary round, which they did.

I predicted the USA would have to play the #2 seed from the other side of the bracket. Which they did.

The flaw was that I expected they would have to play the Finns, whom they lost to in the exhibition, or the Swedes, who may be the best team in the world.

Obviously as it turned out the other side of the bracket blew up with the Swiss playing much better than expected and the Czechs sneaking into the two-hole.

The USA blueline and team speed blew Slovakia, the Czechs and Canada out of the rink. This was one prediction I was happy to be dead wrong about. In the history of Olympic format tournaments, the chances of a #3 seed on one side of the bracket in the preliminary round winning a gold medal are probably 1 in 50.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      I predicted the US would lose to Canada in the preliminary round, which they did.

I predicted the USA would have to play the #2 seed from the other side of the bracket. Which they did.

The flaw was that I expected they would have to play the Finns, whom they lost to in the exhibition, or the Swedes, who may be the best team in the world.

Obviously as it turned out the other side of the bracket blew up with the Swiss playing much better than expected and the Czechs sneaking into the two-hole.

The USA blueline and team speed blew Slovakia, the Czechs and Canada out of the rink. This was one prediction I was happy to be dead wrong about. In the history of Olympic format tournaments, the chances of a #3 seed on one side of the bracket in the preliminary round winning a gold medal are probably 1 in 50.
      And if USA pulls it off tomorrow, it will be back to back WJHCs with a #3 seed winning.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
        Why did he have to go with "desperation"? Didn't sound like it to me.
        Not entirely sure what your point is here. Are you saying the US wasn't playing desperate hockey? I think all he really meant was that we played with more urgency, with a sense of purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          And if USA pulls it off tomorrow, it will be back to back WJHCs with a #3 seed winning.
          Sweden was a #1 seed last year.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Sweden was a #1 seed last year.
            my mistake, for some reason I thought Russia won, so back to back years that Sweden has played a #3 seed in the final.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              my mistake, for some reason I thought Russia won, so back to back years that Sweden has played a #3 seed in the final.
              No worries. I thought Russia had won last year as well, until they kept referring to Sweden as the defending gold medalists during the broadcasts this year.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

No worries. I thought Russia had won last year as well, until they kept referring to Sweden as the defending gold medalists during the broadcasts this year.
                So if my research is correct, 2002 was the last time a #3 seed won gold, and it was Russia, but that year, 8 teams made the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Not entirely sure what your point is here. Are you saying the US wasn't playing desperate hockey? I think all he really meant was that we played with more urgency, with a sense of purpose.
                  [RANT]Thank you. I think the term "playing with desperation" (as a good thing) is a truly dumb term, coined by a person who had no clue what the word means, and picked up by other similar semi-illiterates. IMO, Canada deserved to lose because their coach uses this phrase. It's particularly dumb since more accurate and similarly impressive sounding phrases "playing" with purpose" or "playing with a sense of urgency" are available.

Actually, Canada's problem was that for the most part they were playing desperate hockey.[/RANT]

Comment

this could have something to do with it...

Russia win!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      ..holy cow, just hit me (i know, late.. ).. that all of the 5 goals were scored by college hockey players.
                      Keep it up.. g'luck tomorrow!
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post

Russia win!
                        That is friggin' priceless.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Watching USA/CAN replay and saw the Reinhart slash again.
                          Got me thinking I remember an International game where a Canadian player slashed an opponent before.

Bobby Clarke Breaks Valeri Kharlamov's Ankle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOMJsJhHlyM

Didn't he get a 4 game suspension

Old time Hockey ehhh?

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post

Russia win!
                            He has the making of "Universh" II
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I don't think there was any 'desperation' shown. Just more intense hockey.
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I'm getting up in the morning to watch the Gold Medal game. US is obviously the favorite here but Sweden just knocked off Russia in their home rink.

If the US brings its 'A game' I can't see them losing.

I have to admit that even though I'm Canadian I won't be watching the Bronze Medal game.

Comment

Working...
                                X