Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO @ Quinnipiac 12/29 & 12/30 - #2 Offense vs. #1 Defense

Next up for both teams.

Who'd a thought this would be a big non-conference series before the season started?

And also featuring the current leading scorer in the nation?

UNO is 1-2-1 vs. the Bobcats the past two seasons with both losses coming in Hamden season before last.

The Bobcats power play looks to be maybe the only Achilles Heel in their numbers and, perhaps, maybe the number of penalties they have taken. It's pretty clear they have superior goaltending to UNO's.

This should be a great matchup.

Two noon games?

Re: UNO @ Quinnipiac 12/29 & 12/30 - #2 Offense vs. #1 Defense

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    Who'd a thought this would be a big non-conference series before the season started?
    This should be a great matchup.
    Certainly looks like a marquee matchup.

Two noon games?
    My guess is that it was done to accomodate UNO being able to get out of town after the series on a busy holiday weekend. I think it's going to be a poorly attended series which is unfortunate because it should be a couple of great games.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

UNO moves up one spot in this week's poll, so these two will square off as the 9th & 12th ranked teams in the country next week, since there is no new poll, now, until the 31st of the month.

From a Pairwise standpoint, this is a big series for both teams and neither can really afford to be swept by the other. Don't be surprised if Coach Blais uses this same philosophy (as outlined in the article below about our Mankato series) in our series with the Bobcats:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012121...nus-on-offense

I smell a split. I think UNO might win on Thursday just because of the sheer "rust factor" for the Bobcats, who will be playing their first game in 3 weeks. I don't know about Quinnipiac, but UNO hasn't played any games this early in the day in recent memory. Certainly not since Coach Blais took over. Maybe somebody has a better memory than I.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

It seems that UNO may have played some games in the early afternoon when going out east before, I don't know about noon though.

Comment

Hey Bobcat fan!

Your team's web site contains video links for both games with UNO (on the right side of the page):

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/sports/mice/index

However, when you execute the links, they take you a page of upcoming Quinnipiac team sports events, none of which are hockey games, and, when you sort by sport in the drop down box, hockey (other than field hockey), is not even an option.

Are these games streamed there or not? If not, somewhere else, maybe?

Comment

Not a Bobcat fan but I have been able to watch video from that site in the past and it was of quite good quality too. I suspect you may just be jumping the gun on this one.
            Go Dartmouth!

Comment

Originally posted by Green14 View Post
              Not a Bobcat fan but I have been able to watch video from that site in the past and it was of quite good quality too. I suspect you may just be jumping the gun on this one.
              Well, I thought that might be the case as well.

If so, why is EVERY event they are streaming long after this upcoming series and why isn't the hockey team an option in the event drop down box?

Comment

Game week. From CHN:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...s_critical.php

Either team sweeps this series and they instantly become pretty legit in Pairwise. WCHA fans everywhere need to be rooting for UNO since a good series by the Mavericks helps the whole conference, which hasn't done very well in non-conference play (UNO is one of the exceptions, though).

Don't know what to make of this series, really. UNO is 12-14-5 all time against ECAC teams although 7 of those losses are to Princeton and Harvard, neither of whom we have ever beaten or even tied. The ECAC also is home to 3 of the teams we have NEVER played, too, Cornell, Brown, and Rensselaer. In Rensselaer's case, it isn't for a lack of trying, though. We won the Thanksgiving holiday tournament they hosted in '05-'06 and never met them and they played in our pre-season tournament in '04-'05 and we did not get to play them then, either. Bizarre that we have played games in each other's building but have never played each other.

Like my thread title says, #1 defense (Quinnipiac) versus #2 offense (UNO). The series also features the leading scorer in the nation. Reiterating from above, it would appear that Quinnipiac's goaltending has been superior to anything we've gotten this season and that they take a lot of penalties. Brock Montpetit is out for UNO and we are short on true centers as it is. My guess is that Coach Blais plays this one very close to the vest and opts for a defensive series meaning, Bobcat fans, you are going to see stretches of the game(s) where we have 5 defenseman on the ice at one time, something we've done a fair amount of lately. UNO is by far the biggest team in D-1 hockey and our defense corp is just huge. All but one of them is at least 6' 2", including guys that are 6' 4", 6' 7", & 6' 8" (Andrej Sustr, the tallest player in D-1). The NHL draft choice tally for each team is UNO 7, Quinnipiac 3.

I see a split in two low scoring games. Goaltending may very well be the difference here.

Comment

Goaltending may very well be the difference here.
                  I like our chances if this holds true. However, I think for both teams it will come down to who shakes off the cobwebs the quickest. We've been idle for 3 weeks, UNO for 2. Mix in the holiday break and anything's possible.

I will admit I've been looking forward to this series since the schedule was announced. I thought it would have big implications for us and that certainly appears to be the case. It will go a long way in determining what out 2nd half is going to be like and whether we're in this for the long haul. At a minimum we need a split but if we play to our potential a sweep is not out of the question.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

I am really looking forward to listening to this series. I am hoping for at least one big games from UNO. I see where the Bobcats are in the standings, but I have yet to see them play. Sounds like UNO will have their work cut out from them if they hope to get a win here. Should be great games!

Comment

I note from the USCHO ECAC blog that Quinnipiac's opponent's collective winning percentage so far this season is .482.

http://www.uscho.com/ecac-blog/2012/...-at-the-break/

UNO's opponents? .527

Comment

I am thinking of making the trip down to Hamden...any good place to grab a good breakfast before the game?
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          any good place to grab a good breakfast before the game?
                          Not much of a breakfast guy but the Hamden Townhouse at 2260 Whitney Ave is very good, diner-like food. For breakfast to go, Ray & Mike's (3030 Whitney Ave) Breakfast Bomb is legendary. The shopping area of Dixwell Ave has all the fast-food joints plus an IHOP.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

UNO very sloppy with the puck today and it really cost them. Shots opened 8-0 Quinnipiac and ended 32-24 UNO.

UNO missed their plane due to weather, and did not practice or even skate before this game was played, the Quinnipiac announcers were saying.

Stolarz looked pretty shaky, too, giving up a couple of what I thought were questionable goals. Entertaining end to end game that wasn't played real well by either team. Have to go get them tomorrow. It's a must win situation for UNO.

Comment

UNO very sloppy with the puck today and it really cost them. Shots opened 8-0 Quinnipiac and ended 32-24 UNO.

UNO missed their plane due to weather, and did not practice or even skate before this game was played, the Quinnipiac announcers were saying.

Stolarz looked pretty shaky, too, giving up a couple of what I thought were questionable goals. Entertaining end to end game that wasn't played real well by either team. Have to go get them tomorrow. It's a must win situation for UNO.
                              Beware the ECAC ! Given the travel woes and the layoff, both teams sounded a bit sloppy today. Expecting a hard fought tilt tomorrow. I'm thinking I may make the trip over to Hamden.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                              X