D3hockey.com Computer Rankings 12/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3hockey.com Computer Rankings 12/12

Finally, someone has the b***s to put Utica over Oswego.

Not 100% how much these mean or their importance, but here are their computer rankings as we close up for Christmas break.

http://d3hockey.com/rankings/wiitala/2012-13/Men/dec-12
    Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
    Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Re: D3hockey.com Computer Rankings 12/12

I wouldn't say that "he had the balls to do it" I'd say that he worked out a statistical model and stuck with it. Do you think he would change his numbers if the teams he wanted weren't on top? It is what it is for now, it can and will change, Utica could rise or fall, so could Oswego. This is not subjective these are based on hard numbers predetermined before any teams played each other.
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post

Not 100% how much these mean or their importance, but here are their computer rankings as we close up for Christmas break.

Umm, a computer did this. A computer is a non-sentient being. A computer has as much balls as a female.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Just for yucks and giggles let's look at where these computer rankings would take us if the NCAA's started tomorrow ... they don't ... but if they did ...
        Your seeds:

In the East: 1)Norwich, 2)Hobart 3)Bowdoin 4)Utica 5)Oswego 6)Plymouth 7)Wentworth
        In the West: 1)Adrian 2)UWEC 3)St.Norbert 4)Gustavus

Three go from the East ... Plymouth hosts Wentworth ... winner to Norwich ... winner to Placid
        ... Oswego at Hobart ... winner to Placid
        ... Utica at Bowdoin ... winner to Placid

One to go from the West ... St. Norbert at Adrian (Under 500 miles)........
        Gustavus at UWEC ..................................
        Winners play each other... Winner to Placid ...

The fly in this ointment though is if Adrian beats Norbert then both Gustavus and UWEC more than 500 miles from Adrian ... Ouch!!! Suggestions?

Assuming we were to get around that, the Western winner would play the Hobart/Oswego winner and the Norwich/Plymouth/Wentworth winner would take on either Utica or Bowdoin in Placid.

Thoughts???

Comment

I love Profs rankings but they, just like a poll, are pretty much meaningless. There are just to many ways and variables that go into stats like that. I still would rather put miles on my car and have the TV full of college hockey games every weekend then to go by a chart or poll.

Win your league (unless your ECACW) or meet the NCAA criteria, period. Without playing every team three to four times a season its really hard to say who's better by a chart. There are to much parity in DIII hockey. Just like the BCS you still have "human" input into who gets in. I do not like a pure number based system and in all honesty I think the NCAA should add some more criteria.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

This makes me laugh.......apparently it makes no difference how the poll numbers are arrived at so long as Utica is ranked ahead of Oswego.

Of course there is that pesky margin of error................ where Oswego [u]could[/] be as high as 5th and Utica down at 11th!!!!!!!

t.i.c.
            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Ill alert the media one and all THE U is ranked over OZ...might as well hand them the trophy now,wouldnt mind seeing them at the 1 spot with the bulls eye on their back...I also think not being #1 will help Oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                Umm, a computer did this. A computer is a non-sentient being. A computer has as much balls as a female.
                HAL disagrees.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Pioneers#1,
                  Im a UC fan as well, but why are you so infatuated with UC rankings and the position above OSU?
                  The win on the road was great- but if they dont follow up with a home win against them, it is a total bust.
                  Dont get me wrong, sometimes im hyper critical of UC, but really what is the obsession with rankings?
                  We all agree that they dont mean squat!

Comment

Originally posted by fisheralum91 View Post
                    Pioneers#1,
                    Im a UC fan as well, but why are you so infatuated with UC rankings and the position above OSU?
                    The win on the road was great- but if they dont follow up with a home win against them, it is a total bust.
                    Dont get me wrong, sometimes im hyper critical of UC, but really what is the obsession with rankings?
                    We all agree that they dont mean squat!
                    I can see where he's coming from, he's been following the team for years I imagine and they are starting to do really well (i imagine the best they've ever done up to this point) and they've beat a team that would be considered a powerhouse team. He just wants credit for his team where credit is do. The polls rank Oswego high because they look at the roster and see that they have 14 seniors who over the span of the last four years have gone 82-14-2 against some of the top teams in the nation and have made the final four the past three years straight. Yes Utica has beaten them, they beat them last year as well. If Utica wants to be ranked higher in the polls all they have to do is keep winning which from what I've seen and what I've expected at the beginning of the season looking at their recruiting class shouldn't be a problem for them. If Utica keeps winning then their rank in the polls will keep going up
                    Last edited by OSU2010; 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM.
                    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                      HAL disagrees.
                      HAL still has no more balls than a female...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                        I can see where he's coming from, he's been following the team for years I imagine and they are starting to do really well (i imagine the best they've ever done up to this point) and they've beat a team that would be considered a powerhouse team. He just wants credit for his team where credit is do. The polls rank Oswego high because they look at the roster and see that they have 14 seniors who over the span of the last four years have gone 82-14-2 against some of the top teams in the nation and have made the final four the past three years straight. Yes Utica has beaten them, they beat them last year as well. If Utica wants to be ranked higher in the polls all they have to do is keep winning which from what I've seen and what I've expected at the beginning of the season looking at their recruiting class shouldn't be a problem for them. If Utica keeps winning then their rank in the polls will keep going up
                        Thank You
                        Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                        Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                        Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                        2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                        2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Pioneers#1,
                          I understand the reasoning behind your wanting UC to be highly ranked, as a fan I do too.
                          What I was getting at is at the end of the day rankings mean so little in this sport, why get the britches in a bunch over it?

Comment

If Utica wants to be considered one of the elite DIII programs, they have to avoid the "el-foldo" at the end of the season that has plagued them over the last few years. That's when the cream really rises to the top. Winning a game in December is great, but the one's in February are bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              HAL still has no more balls than a female...
                              Ahh, but SAL was much better-looking (and younger!). And still no nads.
                              Dave
                              RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                              X