Denver @ North Dakota - December 7-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver @ North Dakota - December 7-8

This should be an entertaining series between these two rivals, so I thought I would start up its own thread.

Personally, this is my favorite series. There is no other team that I love seeing UND beat than the Pios. Hopefully, that happens twice this weekend.

Anyway, over/under on Gwozdecky standing on the dashboards is tentatively set at 1.5 for this weekend.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: Denver @ North Dakota - December 7-8

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    This should be an entertaining series between these two rivals, so I thought I would start up its own thread.

Personally, this is my favorite series. There is no other team that I love seeing UND beat than the Pios. Hopefully, that happens twice this weekend.

Anyway, over/under on Gwozdecky standing on the dashboards is tentatively set at 1.5 for this weekend.
    I agree that this should be a very entertaining weekend. I frankly have no idea what to think of DU right now. I tend to be a fairly optimistic sports fan, and we have surely seen that this team has the ability to win, and to score pretty much at will. This weekend is a great opportunity for these guys to show that they are a character team, and can come back from adversity.

The team is banged up a bit, but, I think, not enough to be an excuse for poor play. I think I see a split this weekend, but frankly, nothing will shock me.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
      I think I see a split this weekend, but frankly, nothing will shock me.
      Agreed. I can see just about anything happening this weekend. These two sides have been by far the top programs in the WCHA since 2003-2004, and this particular series could go a long way to determine who wins the MacNaughton. I'm hoping for some great hockey to be played, and these two squads usually bring out the best (and sometimes the worst) in each other.
      North Dakota

Comment

No idea what happens but I gotta think the Sioux are feeling pretty good about themselves after the series with CC despite just a split. Played their best hockey of the year and I can see it carrying over for at least friday nights game. DU obviously in a bit of a funk right now but they are far to talented to have that last, just hope it lasts for 2 more games.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
          UND this weekend reminds me of the regionals in Colorado Springs - we walked in hoping DU wouldn't embarass themselves. And this is not a case of me trying to sandbag it like the Wiscosotians did so well last week. Although i hope it turns out as well as it did for DU in regionals and the burrowin critters here last Friday and Saturday.
          Yes, the top team in the WCHA should just hope not to embarrass themselves. I'm sure that's what Gwoz is telling the team this week. Rocky Mountain high indeed.
          North Dakota

Comment

We'll see which DU team shows up. They put in a decent effort on Saturday and generated lots of shots, just very few grade A chances. I hope the solutions will be evident to Gwoz & Co. as they review the games from this past weekend. As usual, our power play is having its early-season struggles, so hopefully they can improve that a bit this week.

Always a good battle vs. North Dakota. It's probably a good time to play them, before they hit their usual mid-to-late season stride. I would predict the outcomes, but a coin toss would be just as good of an indicator. Actually, I just flipped a coin and DU lost twice. Not a good sign for this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
              Actually, I just flipped a coin and DU lost twice. Not a good sign for this weekend.
              Perhaps the team shouldn't even make the trip up to North Dakota and just forfeit the two games. If I see Gwoz today, I'll run it by him.

FWIW, Denver usually plays fairly well at the Ralph. In the last decade, DU is 7-8-2 (including the 2003 WCHA First Round series) in Grand Forks, including sweeps in 2010 and 2005 (North Dakota swept the series in 2008). I would be very surprised if either team swept.
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Perhaps the team shouldn't even make the trip up to North Dakota and just forfeit the two games. If I see Gwoz today, I'll run it by him.
                But then the visits to North Dakota would plummet further! (See the video on the LetsgoDU blog).

Pretty decent record at the Ralph for DU. I would definitely not predict a sweep for DU this weekend...but I'd venture to say that DU has a better chance for sweeping than UND does--if DU's prodigious offense returns, and if Brittain and Jussi play to capabilities, DU is fairly tough to beat. But the return of DU's offense is a big question mark after the last 2 weekends. As usual in this series, I'd be happy with a split.

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
                  I gotta support that if that is what he tells them, but there are lots of other things that are more likely, and of course you are welcome to join me at 10,000' elevation this weekend. We always need volunteers to be patients for our class' medical practice.
                  I'll be nestled in at home around 6200+ feet working on law school exams. I will be watching the games on TV though. Thank you for the invite.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                    But then the visits to North Dakota would plummet further! (See the video on the LetsgoDU blog).

Pretty decent record at the Ralph for DU. I would definitely not predict a sweep for DU this weekend...but I'd venture to say that DU has a better chance for sweeping than UND does--if DU's prodigious offense returns, and if Brittain and Jussi play to capabilities, DU is fairly tough to beat. But the return of DU's offense is a big question mark after the last 2 weekends. As usual in this series, I'd be happy with a split.
                    So, you are of the opinion that DU (assuming both squads are playing their best) is a much stronger team than North Dakota? It takes some belief in your team to think that DU has a better chance at sweeping in Grand Forks than North Dakota does.

I won't go much into predictions right now, but North Dakota played their best series of the season this past weekend. DU's prodigious offense scored twice in 125 minutes and neither time 5x5.
                    North Dakota

Comment

DU has not been swept in WCHA conference play in how long? I'd say they're due.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

This should be an interesting series. Probably good that DU is playing them in Grand Forks before the 2nd half of the season when UND seems to turn it up a notch. The series in Denver in late February will probably have significant implications regarding the WCHA winner. I would expect Jussi and Sam, to be in goal as they have been the last few weekends. DU needs to work on their puck management more than anything. If you don't have control of the puck, you aren't going to score and the chances of being scored upon increase. One thing I noticed last weekend against Wisconsin is that DU was not winning the one on one battles for the puck. Wisconsin played a very frustrating deliberately slow brand of hockey with all 5 players packed around the net when DU had control in the offensive zone. DU was unable to play their transition game from their own zone as they could not make two passes connect. Had DU been able to put the Badgers on their heels with a stronger transition and better passing game, DU would have won both games. Eaves' team played a perfect road series for an offensively challenged team. When DU had some chances to put the puck in, they misfired, shot wide, etc. I think DU and UND match up much better as both teams like to skate and play 200 foot hockey. I see some 10 to 12 total goals games this weekend rather than the 2 and 4 goals games we witnessed at DU last weekend. Whoever has the puck luck this weekend will probably win each night.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

One thing I like about DU is you dont' hear their five fans complaining about the big mean dirty goons from North Dakota like the Gophers fans do. This should be an awesome weekend of hockey.
                          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                          Eric's Twitter
                          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            DU has not been swept in WCHA conference play in how long? I'd say they're due.
                            I am surely not against it.
                            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                            Eric's Twitter
                            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                              One thing I like about DU is you dont' hear their five fans complaining about the big mean dirty goons from North Dakota like the Gophers fans do. This should be an awesome weekend of hockey.
                              Sorry goon but keep the stinky rodents out of this thread please.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X