Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan at Western Michigan: Battle of the Compass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Michigan at Western Michigan: Battle of the Compass...

NMU is coming off a OT win and a shootout win against Alaska...

Western sat around and ate turkey in a sweep of Bye Week....

Thoughts?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: Northern Michigan at Western Michigan: Battle of the Compass...

I'd love to make the trip over for a game this weekend, but I don't think my schedule will allow it.

Cats need the league points, but it's going to be tough to get one win, let alone two.

All I can say to this weekend is "Shoot him like a horse!" And WMU = Glue.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I will be at the Saturday game with a dozen guys from work. Should be a pretty packed house.

Hope this last weekend against Alaska was a sign of better things to come, especially since they've been playing without key players of late.

Lawson is a lot tougher to play in then it used to be. The Lunatics fill one side and are loud and lively and WMU has had much better attendance over the last couple of years. Used to be that place was pretty dead and it was easy to get a ticket and NMU would win or tie more often than not.

I think it will be another tough road series for the 'Cats, but I hope they can manage a split. And, if so, win on Saturday night when I'm there.

Go 'Cats!
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Yea, Western isn't free points anymore.... That being said, they did what was needed to turn their program around, so can't fault them for that....

On the weekend, I'll be happy with a split, but can see a much more unfavorable outcome... I'm hoping that the Cats can put the off ice adversity behind them and play like they did against the B1G teams earlier this year... Both of those weekends showed some promise, so we know the guys can do it.... It's just a matter of doing it....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          they did what was needed to turn their program around, so can't fault them for that....
          Not at all. Since I work in Holland, it's been nice to watch Luke Witkowski (from Holland) over the past few years on a number of occasions. I'll be more of a WMU fan next season when the go to the NCHC. I'll have no problem pulling for them over any of the other teams--hope they remain strong, but not this weekend.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Lose the Bailey Cup! Lose the Bailey Cup!

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Yea, Western isn't free points anymore.... That being said, they did what was needed to turn their program around, so can't fault them for that....

On the weekend, I'll be happy with a split, but can see a much more unfavorable outcome... I'm hoping that the Cats can put the off ice adversity behind them and play like they did against the B1G teams earlier this year... Both of those weekends showed some promise, so we know the guys can do it.... It's just a matter of doing it....
              We know they CAN do it. It is all a matter of if they WANT to do it. If the CATS do not keep up, or exceed, Western in shots on goal, it is going to be a rough weekend for them. I am hoping for the best. Also, here is hoping a certain individual has served out his team suspension and returns to the ice this weekend.
              Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                We know they CAN do it. It is all a matter of if they WANT to do it. If the CATS do not keep up, or exceed, Western in shots on goal, it is going to be a rough weekend for them. I am hoping for the best. Also, here is hoping a certain individual has served out his team suspension and returns to the ice this weekend.

According to Matt Wellens' twitter, both Thurber and Rose are still suspended and won't make the trip. Also, Vigier won't be on the trip recovering from the kneeing incident against Alaska. Walt indicated on Monday's Sports Roundtable that Vigier's injury isn't as bad as originally thought and could be back before Christmas break. I'm guessing the LSSU series.

Because of those holes in the lineup I would be shocked if the Cats pick up more than one point. Coreau will have to stand on his head or it could get ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                  According to Matt Wellens' twitter, both Thurber and Rose are still suspended and won't make the trip. Also, Vigier won't be on the trip recovering from the kneeing incident against Alaska. Walt indicated on Monday's Sports Roundtable that Vigier's injury isn't as bad as originally thought and could be back before Christmas break. I'm guessing the LSSU series.

Because of those holes in the lineup I would be shocked if the Cats pick up more than one point. Coreau will have to stand on his head or it could get ugly.
                  Yikes. Not what I wanted to hear.
                  Go Cats!

Comment

NMU's last 2 trips to Lawson:
                    10/29/2011: L (4-2)
                    10/28/2011: L (3-2)
                    1/29/2011: L (6-1)
                    1/28/2011: L (5-2)

I expect more of the same.

But seriously, I wouldn't be shocked if NMU takes a game Friday and we come back with a strong W on Saturday.

Officially, I'll say...
                    Fri: 3-3 T (WMU wins SO)
                    Sat: 4-2 WMU
                    Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                    Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Coreau will have to stand on his head or it could get ugly.
                      Article on Coreau and WMU's Slubowski at miningjournal.net: Northern-Michigan--Western-Michigan-goalies-Coreau--Slubowski-falling-short-of-preseason-hype

Both coaches, Kyle and Murray, put some of the blame on each teams respective defenses.

It would be nice to see Coreau be on his "A" game this weekend.

(Even though WMU is in 7th place in the CCHA--they have 2 to 4 games in hand on the rest of the teams. So their being in 7th doesn't mean much at this point.)

Comment

Well... tonight is game 1. The Cats will need to look to their goal tender tonight to have a great game. Western has a very potent offense... and are on their ice. Also, as I have said many times this season, they need to get the puck to the net. Shots! Shots! Shots!
                        Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                          Well... tonight is game 1. The Cats will need to look to their goal tender tonight to have a great game. Western has a very potent offense... and are on their ice. Also, as I have said many times this season, they need to get the puck to the net. Shots! Shots! Shots!
                          Potent would be the last word I would use to describe our offense. We pepper a lot of shots on net, especially at home, but we don't score many goals. In our 5 home games thus far, we're averaging 2.8 goals on 37.8 shots.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but these games will be decided by on which WMU defense shows up. In 6 wins, we're giving up 1.33 goals/game on 24 shots. In our 3 losses and 1 tie, we're giving up 4 goals/game on 29 shots.

I think WMU takes 4 of 6 points, or all 6 points, simply because at home, our defense is suffocating. 5 home games, 1.6 goals/game on 17.8 shots.
                          Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                          Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Good news for NMU. After being listed as doubtful all week, Vigier is in the lineup. Thanks to Davyd's tweet of the Cat's lineup for that info.

Even so, with Northern's anemic road offense I believe Western needs only two goals each night to assure a sweep.
                            I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Good news for NMU. After being listed as doubtful all week, Vigier is in the lineup. Thanks to Davyd's tweet of the Cat's lineup for that info.

Even so, with Northern's anemic road offense I believe Western needs only two goals each night to assure a sweep.
                              I hope I'm wrong.
                              Well, getting him back is a start.... Just gotta see how this goes....

Comment

Working...
                              X