Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I don't see that Maine winning a couple of games after the fact as gaining Tim any capital at all. This season is already a bust. If any decision regarding his future in Orono is about hockey, that ship has set sail a long time ago, IMO.
    It probably shouldn't, buit I think if TIMMAY manages to win another 6-8 games through the end of the year, he'll have done enough to probably salvage his job for another season, given the climate in Orono. A change needs to be made, but I really don't think anyone has the stones to make it, barring a second half of the season as disastrous as the first half.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Leidermark and Riley are out for this weekend's games against Mercyhurst. Diamond and O'Connor are questionable. Coach Whitehead says Ouellete will start Friday's game at Portland and Morris will probably start in Saturday's game at Alfond Arena.

Comment

Is there any way to access video, TV or internet feed of friday night game in Portland?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          It probably shouldn't, buit I think if TIMMAY manages to win another 6-8 games through the end of the year, he'll have done enough to probably salvage his job for another season, given the climate in Orono. A change needs to be made, but I really don't think anyone has the stones to make it, barring a second half of the season as disastrous as the first half.
          They have to make the Hockey East tournament. I think that's the magic line for immediate change.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Leidermark and Riley are out for this weekend's games against Mercyhurst. Diamond and O'Connor are questionable. Coach Whitehead says Ouellete will start Friday's game at Portland and Morris will probably start in Saturday's game at Alfond Arena.
            What's up with Pryor ?

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
              What's up with Pryor ?
              Flu, supposed to be really bad this year.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

As of last night there were 232 (non-obstructed view) seats available in the lower bowl. 123 of those were in the $50 sections. Further, all 20 seats in row 5 of section BB are available, as are rows 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 15 in AA and 12, 15 and 16 in OO (10 seats each). Rows 5 and 6 in section DD and row 6 in Section LL (all $50 seats) are available. So if your youth hockey team league is looking for something to do on Saturday...

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  As of last night there were 232 (non-obstructed view) seats available in the lower bowl. 123 of those were in the $50 sections. Further, all 20 seats in row 5 of section BB are available, as are rows 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 15 in AA and 12, 15 and 16 in OO (10 seats each). Rows 5 and 6 in section DD and row 6 in Section LL (all $50 seats) are available. So if your youth hockey team league is looking for something to do on Saturday...
                  Asking fans to pay $50 a seat in this economy is so outrageous that it really shows the disconnect the athletic department has to the community to justify that kind of increase over last season, and it's only fitting that this team has yet to win a game at home this year as attendance plummets. How much does it cost to see the Women's Hockey team play?

It was a great weekend down in Florida to score seven goals over two games and take home some hardware, but this Maine Hockey Program has some soul searching to do if they want to keep their fanbase intact and not further erode community support for a mismanaged athletic department that can justify raising ticket prices so high that they'll never have a sellout again.

Comment

$50....too much even for a Top College Hockey Team anywhere's....

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Flu, supposed to be really bad this year.
                      Don't any of these guys get flu shots?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Don't any of these guys get flu shots?
                        Guess not or it didn't help
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Leave it to Pete Warner to actually do some real reporting re: the hockey team. Isn't the hockey program supposed to be Larry's beat?

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/0...ks-turnaround/

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            $50....too much even for a Top College Hockey Team anywhere's....
                            hmmm...this could be an interesting topic. how much does it cost to watch your team in person? somebody could chart the whole d@mn
                            thing to show where the best value is and then factor in coaching/support staff dollars to see who's getting fleeced the most. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been a thread similar to this already.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Guess not or it didn't help
                              the flu seemed to help in the win column

Comment

Leave it to Pete Warner to actually do some real reporting re: the hockey team. Isn't the hockey program supposed to be Larry's beat?
                                Good for Warner for putting the problems in print...again. He has a keen sense of the obvious. The only insight offered is that Whitehead's contract has 18 months left and the estimated buyout is about $190,000. He is writing with the perspective of one season, this miserable one of '12-'13. Great, totally great, for the team that they played tough and won the Florida Tourney. No one expected it. No one's money was on it. Two wins- the first against non-ranked Minn-Duluth and the second against a very good 11th ranked (at the time) Cornell team. They were down 3-0 in the 1st and came out of nowhere to win. Thank you Marty for the shutout. Thank you Matt Morris for 2 1/2 periods of 1 goal hockey after Marty got rocked. Thanks as well to the 6 goal scorers. It is a bright spot. It doesn't change the season. It doesn't save Whitehead's job. It moved the Black Bears out of 59th and LAST place in offense in Div 1 hockey to 58th place; one ahead of Ala-Huntsville. DO NOT tell me Maine Hockey fans take any solace in that. Those that do are whacked.

Warner gives no perspective that Maine Hockey succeded from the '01-'02 season to the '06-'07 season thanks to the powerhouse that Walsh built. Whitehead inherited it and he also inherited Grant Standbrook, one of if not the the best recruiter ever in college hockey. A chimpanzee could have gotten the '02 to '07 Maine teams to the NCAA's. It is not a coincidence that the ship started to sink in the '07-'08 season, a year after Standbrook took the new role of volunteer assistant coach and was no longer on the road recruiting. Think Jimmy Howard
                                ('02-'05) then Ben Bishop ('05-'08), both of whom were stud Div 1 goalies and left Maine early to go AHL/NHL. Standbrook recruits. Think about the goalie situation since then. Have a migraine yet?

Fact: Maine Hockey is now financially break even at best for this season. Season ticket sales have fallen off the table. It may still have made money up til two years ago, but no longer. UMaine suffers badly without the Hockey team ringing the cash register.
                                Fact: Maine Hockey still has full scholarship money. It has not been cut, even in horrible economic times.
                                Fact: At 4-9-2, Maine has little hope of recruiting great kids from anywhere...until something fundamentally changes. The lustre and elite stature are g-o-n-e gone.
                                Example: Gee, why did a freshman star goalie like Jon Gillies from South Portland end up at Providence College? The kid has played great so far this season, lifting a perennially mediocre team to 4th place currently in Hockey East.
                                Conclusion: Whitehead has to go. ASAP. He's not getting the job done and has no hope of turning it around. He's a talent scout for a funeral parlor.
                                The momentum downward is substantial and has to be stopped. Give someone else a chance. We did in 1984. The guy's name was Walsh. One can only imagine what he's saying as he watches this...you know he's watching this.

Comment

Working...
                                X