Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

BDNews has article today on Montgomery...think TW feels the Pressure now..? What is the stakes this weekend...???>>..Battle for 9th/10th place at the end of the year in Hockey East,the nightmare continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      BDNews has article today on Montgomery...think TW feels the Pressure now..? What is the stakes this weekend...???>>..Battle for 9th/10th place at the end of the year in Hockey East,the nightmare continues.
      .http://i165.***********.com/albums/u...83699835_n.jpg

This kind of stuff deserves front and center:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/2...rs-resurgence/

Abbott is beginning to make his moves. Discussions with Cosgrove about whether he wants to remain at UMaine or apply for BC job. Sounding like he wants to stay and face the challenge. Hockey program waaaaaaaaay too important for the University to let it wither away the way it is now.
      Last edited by all bear; 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM.
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Saw UVM twice on the tube last weekend v. Minnesota. They looked woeful in the first game, but seemed to find themselves during the latter part of the second contest.

Having said that, Vermont is definitely going to be a non-factor this year, just the same... Those guys are essentially all grinders.

The Warden ( who is actually my ex- these days) and I will still make it a point to camp-out together in front of a TV for Maine games, but neither of us will be harboring too much excitement about this one. The Bears are going nowhere this season, and neither is Vermont. You can take that to the bank.

Betcha CBSCS is hating themselves for scheduling these teams, and won't be making the same mistake again anytime soon. ( Thanks, Blake, for burying the program with that awful extension.)
        Yep, I guess this weekend we can dub as the toilet bowl. aka, who is swirling around it the fastest, UVM or UMaine?
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
          .http://i165.***********.com/albums/u...83699835_n.jpg

This kind of stuff deserves front and center:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/2...rs-resurgence/

Abbott is beginning to make his moves. Discussions with Cosgrove about whether he wants to remain at UMaine or apply for BC job. Sounding like he wants to stay and face the challenge. Hockey program waaaaaaaaay too important for the University to let it wither away the way it is now.
          Is Cosgrove a candidate for the BC job? I would be shocked if he even got an interview.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Is Cosgrove a candidate for the BC job? I would be shocked if he even got an interview.
            From the BC end, cant say. But IIRC, he was an assistant there for a time. As an aside, isnt ex-Maine coach Ferentz still at Iowa? Again, IIRC he's struggled a bit lately, but has generally been successfull at that program. Whos to know how successful Cos could be at BC, but its a non issue anyway since indications seem to be he wasnt interested anyway.
            Last edited by all bear; 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM.
            sure why not

Comment

Why won't Maine just fire Whitehead already?

Comment

Too bad poor ole Timmay has no support left . Only wins and a return of the programs prestige would salvage that for him and we all know that aint happenning. But, I suppose if the University is happy with run of the mill and the alumni dont give a crap, then Timmays the future of Maine hockey, and at such a bargain basement price !!
                sure why not

Comment

Reason #3 sounds similar to why the Bruins kept Harry Sinden around for so many years. They didn't win, but the revenue was good enough for Jeremy. Take heart Maineuhs that your hockey players are better at academics than hockey.

I sure wish BC got kids that could accomplish the trifecta of 3.0 gpa's, staying out of trouble and winning hockey games.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    Take heart Maineuhs that your hockey players are better at academics than hockey.
                    It's because in the classroom they've learned not to grip the pencils and pens too tightly. But of course, when they're getting good grades to begin with it's easier to feel confident with their studies so they naturally wouldn't be gripping them as tightly when they're getting the good grades.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                      Reason #3 sounds similar to why the Bruins kept Harry Sinden around for so many years. They didn't win, but the revenue was good enough for Jeremy. Take heart Maineuhs that your hockey players are better at academics than hockey.

I sure wish BC got kids that could accomplish the trifecta of 3.0 gpa's, staying out of trouble and winning hockey games.
                      BC could use some help keeping expenses down....every year the program spends exactly the same amount it makes
                      Whereas Maine makes the most money in Hockey East, clearing almost a million dollars in profit each year.

Comment

You're probably correct that the administration's criteria for Whitehead's performance is different than what any of us would use. The biggest reason I would want him gone is the diviseness amongst the fans. I'm sick of all the infighting and bickering back and fourth. I see the only way forward as timmy moving on and someone else come in. On top of that, if you used attendance instead of revenue what would that look like? It seems like it is way down from where it was five or 10 years ago. Are your revenues normalized? If they're not it would explain why there hasn't been a drop

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          You're probably correct that the administration's criteria for Whitehead's performance is different than what any of us would use. The biggest reason I would want him gone is the diviseness amongst the fans. I'm sick of all the infighting and bickering back and fourth. I see the only way forward as timmy moving on and someone else come in. On top of that, if you used attendance instead of revenue what would that look like? It seems like it is way down from where it was five or 10 years ago. Are your revenues normalized? If they're not it would explain why there hasn't been a drop
                          Revenues are what was reported to the Department of Education.

Maine's numbers:
                          2003: 2,490,855
                          2004: 2,494,802
                          2005: 2,656,536
                          2006: 2,569,639
                          2007: 2,673,406
                          2008: 2,473,698
                          2009: 2,351,428
                          2010: 2,508,238
                          Total: $20,218,602.00
                          Average: $2,527,325.25

Average Revenues in Hockey East:

Code:

Revenues
                          Boston University			$3,146,351.75
                          Boston College				$2,971,418.25
                          New Hampshire				$2,556,366.75
                          Maine					$2,527,325.25
                          Vermont					$2,044,654.00
                          Northeastern				$1,535,985.13
                          U-Mass					$1,258,679.88
                          Merrimack				$1,224,224.75
                          Providence College			$1,192,483.38
                          Lowell					$1,091,095.13
                          Looking at expenses (which aren't always accurate) the only schools to post a $1,000,000 profit in a fiscal year were Maine (5), Boston U (3) and Vermont (2). BC does not report a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Revenues are what was reported to the Department of Education.

Maine's numbers:
                            2003: 2,490,855
                            2004: 2,494,802
                            2005: 2,656,536
                            2006: 2,569,639
                            2007: 2,673,406
                            2008: 2,473,698
                            2009: 2,351,428
                            2010: 2,508,238
                            Total: $20,218,602.00
                            Average: $2,527,325.25

Average Revenues in Hockey East:

Code:

Revenues
                            Boston University			$3,146,351.75
                            Boston College				$2,971,418.25
                            New Hampshire				$2,556,366.75
                            Maine					$2,527,325.25
                            Vermont					$2,044,654.00
                            Northeastern				$1,535,985.13
                            U-Mass					$1,258,679.88
                            Merrimack				$1,224,224.75
                            Providence College			$1,192,483.38
                            Lowell					$1,091,095.13
                            Looking at expenses (which aren't always accurate) the only schools to post a $1,000,000 profit in a fiscal year were Maine (5), Boston U (3) and Vermont (2). BC does not report a profit.
                            I doubt they are normalized for inflation. If you did that I'm sure it would paint a different picture.

I think it's impossible to compare expenses/profit between schools. I'm sure both the fixed expenses and how they are allocated are different from school to school.

Comment

Hard to believe there are people still dishing out season ticket money to watch Maine lose at home. Man, how things have degressed over the years. I guess some are still holding on to hope. Chin up, one day Timmay will be walking out that door

"The Black Bears will enter the Vermont series with a two-game unbeaten streak (1-0-1)".....wooohooo, we're rolling now !!
                              sure why not

Comment

BC could use some help keeping expenses down....every year the program spends exactly the same amount it makes
                                Creative accounting.

Whereas Maine makes the most money in Hockey East, clearing almost a million dollars in profit each year.
                                Maine should try it. Seems to me the million in excess could buy out an old and hire a new coach.

Personally, I could care less who coaches Maine. I just want to someday in the near future see the Maine Black Bears back on top of their game and in the spotlight. A good Maine team makes for better competition, a better conference and overall a lot more excitement in college hockey locally and nationally. There is no college fan base in the USA that travels better or is more exuberant and loyal to their team than Maine fans. I miss you guys at the Garden and at the NCAA's. Nothing better than when the Maine Black Bears and their fans are in attendance.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X