Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - Take 2. If This Ain't the Bottom...

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Many of those same people would rather just drop the athletics department completely and devote resources strictly to academic endeavors. (Don't bother arguing with me, I'm not one of those people - but they do exist)
    And how they gonna replace the $1 mil in resources/revenue?
    Oh yea... pick it off the tree. Those folks have 2nd jobs in the Whitehouse?
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      Are you an idiot?
      No, I can do basic math. Can you?

In 2004 the team went to the Frozen Four and made $2.49M in revenue. In 2008 the team suffered it's worst season since the NCAA sanctions and revenue dropped all the way down to $2.47M in revenue. 2010's revenue of $2.51M eclipsed them both. But clearly the team only makes money when it's winning.

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      And how they gonna replace the $1 mil in resources/revenue?
      Oh yea... pick it off the tree.
      That's just the hockey team. In the past seven years the entire athletics department has cleared $1.7M in profit. I'm sure they imagine this money can be recouped elsewhere. Like I said, I'm not one of these people.

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      You may not like it, but you're happy as a clam using it as your arguement to stick it to everyone else who doesn't kiss TIMMAY' s azz like you do. "They're still making money".

By the looks of that rink for the second Vermont game, not for a whole lot longer. Looked like an effin' regional, except the empty sections were reversed.
      Any joviality is imagined by you. As far as you all are concerned, Tim should have been fired ages ago. I'm giving you a hypothesis of why it hasn't happened yet. Perhaps you were so busy ridiculing me that you failed to notice the many times I said I had written a letter to Abbott and said you should all do likewise. But once again, better to be an Internet Tough Guy...

Comment

. As far as you all are concerned, Tim should have been fired ages ago. ...
        Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that you kept posting stats about how great Tim was, almost as good as Jerry if not better?

As far as folks at the U wanting athletics to be gone, that's been like that long before Maine ever had a Hockey program. Many folks would like to see Maine revert to D3, again been like that for ions. I'm sure there are Profs at BC who would like the BC athletic dept. to be gone also
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          But once again, better to be an Internet Tough Guy...
          I don't know. rufus is pretty scary in person too.

Long time no see rufus.
          Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

I think we all agree on two things:

1) Whiteheads tenure is done and needs to go either at the end of this season and certainly no later than next, and
            2) The "cherry" that UHN fan is referring to is, of course....well you all know
            sure why not

Comment

No, I can do basic math. Can you?

In 2004 the team went to the Frozen Four and made $2.49M in revenue. In 2008 the team suffered it's worst season since the NCAA sanctions and revenue dropped all the way down to $2.47M in revenue. 2010's revenue of $2.51M eclipsed them both. But clearly the team only makes money when it's winning.

That's just the hockey team. In the past seven years the entire athletics department has cleared $1.7M in profit. I'm sure they imagine this money can be recouped elsewhere. Like I said, I'm not one of these people.

Any joviality is imagined by you. As far as you all are concerned, Tim should have been fired ages ago. I'm giving you a hypothesis of why it hasn't happened yet. Perhaps you were so busy ridiculing me that you failed to notice the many times I said I had written a letter to Abbott and said you should all do likewise. But once again, better to be an Internet Tough Guy...
              You're Tim's friend, but wrote a letter to Abbott? I assume it was a support letter? Otherwise, you're not much of a friend.

If your point is that Maine Hockey makes money regardless of wins and NCAA appearances, then why not fire Tim, hire a D-III coach for under $100K and call it a day? There are plenty of less expensive guys out there who can coach .500 teams. In fact, if your hypothesis is that future losses in operating revenue (tickets sales, concessions, advertising, etc.) will be offset by larger contributions from select donors who love Whitehead, then why not just bail out completely on HE and D1 and play Colby, Bowdoin, Middleburry, Hamilton, etc. every year. Maine might post a winning record, the mystery donors can keep their pet, Tim, and they can have the Alfond all to themselves. I'm all for it. What's the point of constant mediocrity in Hockey East. What I'm NOT for is the current hypocrisy of talking about the pride, the tradition, and the legacy as if it meant something, the jacking of ticket prices to $50 a seat in the lower bowl, and then playing like a DIII team. Maybe that plays to the wealthy donors, but it's an insult to the people who have supported the program for years by paying for season tickets, gas, hotels, meals on a limited budget.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                2) The "cherry" that UHN fan is referring to is, of course....well you all know
                She is innocent
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The money comes in whether the team wins or not. Ask the Chicago Cubs how important it is to field a winner when you are making money hand over fist.

And Fishman, there are people at the university who would rather see the hockey team go 0-34 but field a roster full of Rhodes Scholars. Many of those same people would rather just drop the athletics department completely and devote resources strictly to academic endeavors. (Don't bother arguing with me, I'm not one of those people - but they do exist)
                  Chicago Cubs and Maine Hockey,now I've heard it all....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                    You're Tim's friend, but wrote a letter to Abbott? I assume it was a support letter? Otherwise, you're not much of a friend.

If your point is that Maine Hockey makes money regardless of wins and NCAA appearances, then why not fire Tim, hire a D-III coach for under $100K and call it a day? There are plenty of less expensive guys out there who can coach .500 teams. In fact, if your hypothesis is that future losses in operating revenue (tickets sales, concessions, advertising, etc.) will be offset by larger contributions from select donors who love Whitehead, then why not just bail out completely on HE and D1 and play Colby, Bowdoin, Middleburry, Hamilton, etc. every year. Maine might post a winning record, the mystery donors can keep their pet, Tim, and they can have the Alfond all to themselves. I'm all for it. What's the point of constant mediocrity in Hockey East. What I'm NOT for is the current hypocrisy of talking about the pride, the tradition, and the legacy as if it meant something, the jacking of ticket prices to $50 a seat in the lower bowl, and then playing like a DIII team. Maybe that plays to the wealthy donors, but it's an insult to the people who have supported the program for years by paying for season tickets, gas, hotels, meals on a limited budget.
                    Yeah, plus infinity and a bag of chips
                    question for timmay. whose azz we kickin this weekend? I lose track
                    sure why not

Comment

Quick question for Maine fans - Has the Univ of Maine ever used a variation of this logo on their jerseys? I was presented a jersey with a powder blue / navy version of this logo but I can't find any photo to support that this is a Maine jersey. I know the Maine Mariners used this logo, but their colors were black/orange and black/gold depending on which NHL team they were feeding. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Quick question for Maine fans - Has the Univ of Maine ever used a variation of this logo on their jerseys? I was presented a jersey with a powder blue / navy version of this logo but I can't find any photo to support that this is a Maine jersey. I know the Maine Mariners used this logo, but their colors were black/orange and black/gold depending on which NHL team they were feeding. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan J
                        Maine has been using the script Maine since Shawn Walsh got here. Before that it was a block "MAINE".

If your jersey has the ship's wheel in the center, it's gotta be a Mariners jersey of some sort.

Comment

I think it's more likely the Mariners were running a promotion that put them in those colors, than the Bears were running a promotion that put them in that logo. Is there any other precedence you have for a college team using a pro logo? Or somebody else's logo, no matter the source? Obviously, you can't ask the Mariners, but have you tried the Maine SID office?
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            I think it's more likely the Mariners were running a promotion that put them in those colors, than the Bears were running a promotion that put them in that logo. Is there any other precedence you have for a college team using a pro logo? Or somebody else's logo, no matter the source? Obviously, you can't ask the Mariners, but have you tried the Maine SID office?
                            Agreed. Can you post a picture? We may be able to tell from the colors if it was like a local high school "borrowing" the logo.

Comment

all I know is that I would LOVE to have an old Mariners jersey in UMaine colors! (w/ #4)

Comment

Here are couple images.
                                Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X