Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nebraska-Omaha vs. Minnesota. 11/30, 12/01.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nebraska-Omaha vs. Minnesota. 11/30, 12/01.

Red Cows, those too many men on the ice penalties are extremely sloppy, but half of that can go to the coaching staff. You listen for when it's your time to get out on the ice. Even in an article in the World-Herald Blais took the blame for those penalties. I have numerous times seen a UNO player notice it and try and bust *** to get back to the bench before the call. It is just sloppy all around and really, an unacceptable penalty to take.

UNO needs to stay out of the box if they want to hang with Minny this weekend. Goals will come at a premium, keep the forecheck up and make it so we don't have to rely on Faulkner/Stolarz or the D and we should be in good shape. I know that won't happen, I expect a lot of back-and-forth in this seires, and I think these are two great hockey teams. I can honestly say I'm excited to watch the games on TV this weekend, I think it will be some **** good hockey.

(I also usually get to watch a couple games a week to get the rest of my fill in, so I'm dying here! ...thanks NHL/PA)

Comment

Really looking forward to this series. I am torn between believing that a split is ok to thinking anything less than 3 points will be uncivilized. I guess part of that comes from the fact they've combined to play 1 TUC between them. Before the season started I would have predicted a sweep but I've had to back off that a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Which part of sweep at home, split on the road is complicated to you? Once I understand that I can answer your question.
        If you're talking about winning the MacNaughton, sure, that is a good recipe, but not the required one.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Really looking forward to this series. I am torn between believing that a split is ok to thinking anything less than 3 points will be uncivilized. I guess part of that comes from the fact they've combined to play 1 TUC between them. Before the season started I would have predicted a sweep but I've had to back off that a bit.
          I'm going to be happy with a split, I guess, particularly since that's what I think is probably going to happen.

I'll be shocked if either team makes the other look bad in any measurable way. A sweep either way would be a surprise as well, despite the fact that we are undefeated in Mariucci Arena, all time.

Seriously, I expect great hockey this weekend and I bet both teams and coaches end up very complimentary of the other at the end of the weekend. If that actually happens, I'll be happy no matter what the outcome.

Gopher fan has seen a lot more of Coach Blais and his teams than we have over the years. By far. Don't forget that we never played North Dakota until he became our head coach and we moved to the WCHA. I think they know we will show up ready to play. So will the Gophers, I am pretty sure.

In this article in today's Omaha World Herald, I got the distinct sense that our guys see this as the opportunity to show that they really "belong", a big step for any program to take:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012112...ping-mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
            If you're talking about winning the MacNaughton, sure, that is a good recipe, but not the required one.
            Why wouldn't you want them to win the MacNaughton in their last eligible year? In many ways, it is tougher to win than a NC. It reflects a whole season of play.

And why wouldn't a Gopher fan wish for a Mac, a Broadmore, a NC and a Hobey winner every year?

Comment

ALL the trophies! /meme

There's just one thing left to do. Win the whole...effin'...thing. /Major League

I will crush you...like a worm. /Braveheart

MN sweeps. Because F you, that's why.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                ALL the trophies! /meme
                And don't forget the banners! Who doesn't LOVE a good banner hanging ceremony?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Why wouldn't you want them to win the MacNaughton in their last eligible year? In many ways, it is tougher to win than a NC. It reflects a whole season of play.

And why wouldn't a Gopher fan wish for a Mac, a Broadmore, a NC and a Hobey winner every year?
                  Who said I didn't want them to win the MacNaughton? Scooby's post could have went a number of different ways. I was confused why THIS series was a must sweep, considering it's, you know, only late November. If it's ONLY because it is a home series, and that is the ONLY way a team wins the MacNaughton, then again, I am confused, and I think it's ridiculous. Do I WANT Minnesota to sweep? Of course. Do I think they CAN sweep? Yes, absolutely. Do I EXPECT them to sweep? No, I do not. I do think Minnesota tends to play to the level of their competition at times, so if that is the case, that will be a good thing this weekend, since currently UNO > everyone we've played this year.

Comment

I do think Minnesota tends to play to the level of their competition at times, so if that is the case, that will be a good thing this weekend, since currently UNO > everyone we've played this year.
                    If you are right, that Minnesota tends to play "to the level of their competition at times", then there's a problem. And if they do, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for losing. And if "UNO > everyone we've played this year" as you say, then arguably the Gophers should rise up and "play to the level of their competition" and sweep this series - at home!

Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      If you are right, that Minnesota tends to play "to the level of their competition at times", then there's a problem. And if they do, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for losing. And if "UNO > everyone we've played this year" as you say, then arguably the Gophers should rise up and "play to the level of their competition" and sweep this series - at home!

Case closed!
                      Yes, that is a problem. I never said otherwise. I also never said it was an excuse for losing...my point was, is that UNO will be the best team Minnesota has faced this year (of course, my opinion, but it plays into the point I am making), and so playing to UNO's level (I assume they are about equal, Minnesota may be a little more talented, but who knows yet?), will be a good thing this weekend. I do not think Minnesota's problem the past few years has been losing to equal/superior teams (except Denver, and occasionally UND). It was losing to the Northern Michigans, Northeasterns, and UAAs of the college hockey world that was frustrating as hell to watch.

Comment

Yes, that is a problem. I never said otherwise. I also never said it was an excuse for losing...my point was, is that UNO will be the best team Minnesota has faced this year (of course, my opinion, but it plays into the point I am making), and so playing to UNO's level (I assume they are about equal, Minnesota may be a little more talented, but who knows yet?), will be a good thing this weekend. I do not think Minnesota's problem the past few years has been losing to equal/superior teams (except Denver, and occasionally UND). It was losing to the Northern Michigans, Northeasterns, and UAAs of the college hockey world that was frustrating as hell to watch.
                        Great points, I understand where you are coming from!

HOWEVER, I will say that if we have roughly double the number of NHL draft choices as the opposition, we SHOULD win - both games - notwithstanding the fact that in the game of hockey anything can happen in a single game, or even in a two game (short) series. But if 'effort and intensity' are roughly the same on both sides, chances are the more talented team SHOULD prevail...and that still means Minnesota. But then again, I realize that= in hockey many things (esp. goaltnding!) will determine which team wins... ane UND should have the edge in most sports - ecpecially hocey!
                        Last edited by D2D; 11-29-2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          That sounds like a little bit of sandbagging from the ol' Slapper!
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Great points, I understand where you are coming from!

HOWEVER, I will say that if we have roughly double the number of NHL draft choices as the opposition, we SHOULD win - both games - notwithstanding the fact that in the game of hockey anything can happen in a single game, or even in a two game (short) series. But if 'effort and intensity' are roughly the same on both sides, chances are the more talented team SHOULD prevail...and that still means Minnesota. But then again, I realize that= in hockey many things (esp. goaltnding!) will determine which team wins... ane UND should have the edge in most sports - ecpecially hocey!
                            I don't agree with this line of thinking, it is way overblown by the media and others. All that really means is the 'potential' is there for the kid who was drafted, this does not mean that at this point in time in their career they are head and shoulders above anyone else. In fact many times they either don't pan out or it takes until their junior season or so before they start to reach their potential (of course there are exceptions) in the meantime while they are still freshman and sophomores they can struggle playing against older non-drafted players.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              I don't agree with this line of thinking, it is way overblown by the media and others. All that really means is the 'potential' is there for the kid who was drafted, this does not mean that at this point in time in their career they are head and shoulders above anyone else. In fact many times they either don't pan out or it takes until their junior season or so before they start to reach their potential (of course there are exceptions) in the meantime while they are still freshman and sophomores they can struggle playing against older non-drafted players.
                              I Agree. Lineups stacked with high draft picks hasn't neccessarily guaranteed us success in the past. However, it should more often than not if we are recruiting and developing our players right. Just goes to show that recruiting and drafting are not exact sciences. When York regires, he should give seminars to other college coaches. He'd make a fortune because whatever formula/criteria he's using seems to be the benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                I Agree. Lineups stacked with high draft picks hasn't neccessarily guaranteed us success in the past. However, it should more often than not if we are recruiting and developing our players right. Just goes to show that recruiting and drafting are not exact sciences. When York regires, he should give seminars to other college coaches. He'd make a fortune because whatever formula/criteria he's using seems to be the benchmark.
                                I agree but our state is actually producing high draft picks. Mass. isn't exactly setting the world on fire which offers him a different avenue that he has used.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X