Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nebraska-Omaha vs. Minnesota. 11/30, 12/01.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nebraska-Omaha vs. Minnesota. 11/30, 12/01.

I'm curious and anxious to see how the Gophers respond back at home against a solid, well-coached team after taking two against a less talented team on the road. I would hope that the team will not be satisfied with anything less than 3 points, and will be doing everything possible to get all 4...which against this calibre of team won't be easy. But it's no time to take a step back, and with two all-out efforts in front of their own fans they could win both.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I think the over/under on my cursing Montpetit's name should be around 14.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Hey folks! I echo those on the board here and am stoked for this series. I don't know much about the Gophers yet other than you're very, very good. So far the scoring has been a pleasant surprise this year being better than expected and pretty balanced. It seems that a different player steps up every night or weekend. At Tech it was Raubenheimer, Duluth it was Zombo. This year's D corps is probably the best we've had 1-6 in quite some time, maybe ever. If they're decisive with their breakouts UNO can get up and down the ice pretty quick. There's a tendency to chase the puck at times in their own zone though and that causes problems. Faulkner is the clear #1 goaltender and should start both nights. He seems to be pretty aggressive and is tracking the puck well. I'm hoping for a split. Enjoy!

Comment

If anybody saw what I had to say in my post in the UNO season thread about this upcoming series, then you've noted that my prediction about what this week would end up being about has come to fruition in FS23's "NCAA Rankings, Week 7" thread.

I'll copy and past the salient portion of my post, here:

"The downside (of UNO's season, so far), and once a thread for our upcoming Minnesota series gets started, every fan not wearing a UNO or Minny jersey is going to be saying the same thing about both of us:

Minnesota's record against Tuc's: 0-0-0
          UNO's record against Tuc's: 0-1-0

UNO, Minnesota, Niagara, Holy Cross, and Union are probably the biggest unknowns in the top 25 of Pairwise right now (if you even believe Pairwise is worth looking at before about January 1) as, collectively, these 5 teams are are only 1-3-0 against Tuc's.

That is going to get shoved in our faces all week, particularly by fans of our conference foes. It's the only thing tempering my enthusiasm, somewhat, right now (about our season, to-date).

Needless to say, with apologies to, perhaps, CC and UND, our series with Minnesota this weekend is the biggest of the season so far in the WCHA."

The Gophers are getting called out about this by several posters in that thread.

This is hilarious because the other theory being put before the house there is that Minnesota is #3 in the current USCHO poll, well, because they are Minnesota. A contention that I don't necessarily disagree with. In fact, I find myself wondering if Minnesota and UNO traded their season-to-date resume's in their entirety if either team's current residence in the poll rankings would be one iota different.

This is funnier still because UNO, at # 13 in the poll, is escaping this discourse entirely even though you can make almost the exact same case that we might be overrated as well. We are escaping that scrutiny because:

1. We aren't Minnesota.
          2. We are UNO and nobody really hates us--yet.
          3. UNO has nowhere near the program street cred of Minnesota.
          4. UNO is only in the top ten in a couple of the "here's what I think" polls posted there.
          5. See reason #1

Thank you, Minny, for being the whipping boy in the public discourse about this. Better you than us. We'll continue hiding off in the shadows on this one for now.

Ought to be a great weekend of hockey no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            If anybody saw what I had to say in my post in the UNO season thread about this upcoming series, then you've noted that my prediction about what this week would end up being about has come to fruition in FS23's "NCAA Rankings, Week 7" thread.

I'll copy and past the salient portion of my post, here:

"The downside (of UNO's season, so far), and once a thread for our upcoming Minnesota series gets started, every fan not wearing a UNO or Minny jersey is going to be saying the same thing about both of us:

Minnesota's record against Tuc's: 0-0-0
            UNO's record against Tuc's: 0-1-0

UNO, Minnesota, Niagara, Holy Cross, and Union are probably the biggest unknowns in the top 25 of Pairwise right now (if you even believe Pairwise is worth looking at before about January 1) as, collectively, these 5 teams are are only 1-3-0 against Tuc's.

That is going to get shoved in our faces all week, particularly by fans of our conference foes. It's the only thing tempering my enthusiasm, somewhat, right now (about our season, to-date).

Needless to say, with apologies to, perhaps, CC and UND, our series with Minnesota this weekend is the biggest of the season so far in the WCHA."

The Gophers are getting called out about this by several posters in that thread.

This is hilarious because the other theory being put before the house there is that Minnesota is #3 in the current USCHO poll, well, because they are Minnesota. A contention that I don't necessarily disagree with. In fact, I find myself wondering if Minnesota and UNO traded their season-to-date resume's in their entirety if either team's current residence in the poll rankings would be one iota different.

This is funnier still because UNO, at # 13 in the poll, is escaping this discourse entirely even though you can make almost the exact same case that we might be overrated as well. We are escaping that scrutiny because:

1. We aren't Minnesota.
            2. We are UNO and nobody really hates us--yet.
            3. UNO has nowhere near the program street cred of Minnesota.
            4. UNO is only in the top ten in a couple of the "here's what I think" polls posted there.
            5. See reason #1

Thank you, Minny, for being the whipping boy in the public discourse about this. Better you than us. We'll continue hiding off in the shadows on this one for now.

Ought to be a great weekend of hockey no matter what.
            We may very well be a little over-rated, due in part to our stronger tradition in the sport of hockey. But I suspect that the (perceived?) talent level may have something to do with it as well, based on the number of NHL draft choices on the team. Could all of those NHL clubs be wrong, or could those who have a vote in the polls be wrong? Or both?

So far there is no clear answer, but we'll begin to find out this weekend in what's arguably the Gophers' strongest test of the season.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Really who cares this early where people are ranked at this point? Minnesota is some of the best recruiting grounds for hockey obviously so of course people will always think they have an edge in talent vs the majority of teams. UNO just needs to win games, and if they could take some points against Minnesota all the better.

Comment

Ranks and pairwise are good for measures against current opponents, but they really won't mean anything until January.

Regardless, this will be a great series against two opponents who were just getting to know each other before conferences split. Here's to hoping this remains a non-conference series respectively.

Comment

Time to kick the hicks back to the sticks.

This has been tArrogance speaking. Signing off for the night. Thank you for your time.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Haven't looked at the Schedule. Is this At MN? I assume Fri/Sat at 7?

Hope the Gophs can play up to the competition.
                    There still is something off about implying Nebraska and "good at hockey" belong together. Just doesn't seem natural. What's next? The Badgers have a knowledgable fan base, or the Whioux are a team of fine upstanding gentlemen? It's mass hysteria!

Comment

Originally posted by puckhead@uno View Post
                      Hey folks! I echo those on the board here and am stoked for this series. I don't know much about the Gophers yet other than you're very, very good. So far the scoring has been a pleasant surprise this year being better than expected and pretty balanced. It seems that a different player steps up every night or weekend. At Tech it was Raubenheimer, Duluth it was Zombo. This year's D corps is probably the best we've had 1-6 in quite some time, maybe ever. If they're decisive with their breakouts UNO can get up and down the ice pretty quick. There's a tendency to chase the puck at times in their own zone though and that causes problems. Faulkner is the clear #1 goaltender and should start both nights. He seems to be pretty aggressive and is tracking the puck well. I'm hoping for a split. Enjoy!
                      Should be some fun hockey to watch. The Gophers definitely run and gun for the most part. Outside of the sconnie series(because sconnie plays boring, trap hockey) and the 3rd period against Vermont last weekend(UVM came out strong and caught the Gophers flat footed) the Gophers have been able to move the puck and log lots of offensive zone time and SOG.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I have been very impressed with what UNO has been able to do during it's relavively short history at the D1 level, and the fans I have had the pleasure to meet and interact with have been very friendly and passionate. Really looking forward to this series as it should provide a good bench mark on where both of these teams are at. The Gophers have been playing much better defensively as of late, but this weekend will be a good indicator on how far they have come and how far we have left to go.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          We may very well be a little over-rated, due in part to our stronger tradition in the sport of hockey. But I suspect that the (perceived?) talent level may have something to do with it as well, based on the number of NHL draft choices on the team. Could all of those NHL clubs be wrong, or could those who have a vote in the polls be wrong? Or both?

So far there is no clear answer, but we'll begin to find out this weekend in what's arguably the Gophers' strongest test of the season.
                          There is also the fact that they were a final four team last year and didn't lose much from that team, beyond the goalie and a couple 3rd, 4th liners. And now the goalie situation seems to be stable and positive so that is not the concern it might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            There is also the fact that they were a final four team last year and didn't lose much from that team, beyond the goalie and a couple 3rd, 4th liners. And now the goalie situation seems to be stable and positive so that is not the concern it might have been.
                            I actually think the reason we have had a more difficult start than we all thought we would is because of those players that are no longer here (including Warning). Hansen was a 2nd line wing and Matson and Sachetti were key pieces to the late season run. We haven't yet found the players to fill that void left by those guys imo, when we do this team will be tough to beat.
                            Last edited by SanTropez; 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Matson was big. Every time the intensity dipped, the captain went out there and worked his tail off. It worked wonders.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Matson was big. Every time the intensity dipped, the captain went out there and worked his tail off. It worked wonders.
                                Rau can be that guy, which is why I think he's destined for captaincy if he sticks around.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X