Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Gwoz's father, Dr. Geoge, lived until he was 93. He didn't retire from his medical practice until age 90! Longevity runs in the family.
    Maybe, but Gwoz was showing signs of dementia in his mid-50s by walking on the dashboard and on the ice during games in GF. Nothing to guarantee he would not relapse into that type of behavior.

Comment

Maybe it's secret, I don't know, but I certainly admit that even I don't agree with my own arguments all the time. But I never let a little thing like that stop me.

Our own ChuckAndySchwartzJohnson has had an article and poll up regarding Eaves that I imagine most actually interested folks have read.

I'm stealing a portion of his work from the article without his permission for this question. (He'll probably sue. I would.) but here is his chart comparing other coaches to Eaves tenure at Wisconsin. In honor of the BU/UW tilt this week (and because it's probably relevant) I've added Jack Parker and BU's stats on here:

Parker .......... BU ......... .586 ...... 6-12 .........1 ................ 1 .................. 2 ................. 2

So my question is, which of the programs represented here would Badger fans gladly change places with over the last 12 years?
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Eaves has a .577 winning percentage. In addition, not all NCAA appearances are to be judged equally when you are comparing in this manner.

For one, we were under .500 (which would exclude us now I believe) and for another, we had to win our conference tourney to get in.

I think most would like to see us make it by our pairwise rather than hoping for a good weekend to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Eaves has a .577 winning percentage. In addition, not all NCAA appearances are to be judged equally when you are comparing in this manner.

For one, we were under .500 (which would exclude us now I believe) and for another, we had to win our conference tourney to get in.

I think most would like to see us make it by our pairwise rather than hoping for a good weekend to get in.
          I feel like either work has gotten in the way of you making a totally coherent response, (Shameful!) or it's getting in the way of me understanding exactly what you are trying to say. I agree with that last sentence, but I don't get the middle one.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

If we're to judge these coaches on the selected criteria on that chart, I'm suggesting that it isn't always apples to apples.

2 of the seven appearances have been by the hair on our balls. Yes, they are still appearances, but hardly the way we want to go about our business.

I think the .577 overall winning percentage dovetails into that.

I get it. You want to convince us that Eaves is the best we can get and you think he should keep his job.

I just don't think you're gonna be able to convince those of us who want him gone of that - no matter how many paragraphs you write or how many charts you link to.

You might have a different perspective if you were here living it.

Who knows, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Maybe it's secret, I don't know, but I certainly admit that even I don't agree with my own arguments all the time. But I never let a little thing like that stop me.

Our own ChuckAndySchwartzJohnson has had an article and poll up regarding Eaves that I imagine most actually interested folks have read.

I'm stealing a portion of his work from the article without his permission for this question. (He'll probably sue. I would.) but here is his chart comparing other coaches to Eaves tenure at Wisconsin. In honor of the BU/UW tilt this week (and because it's probably relevant) I've added Jack Parker and BU's stats on here:

Parker .......... BU ......... .586 ...... 6-12 .........1 ................ 1 .................. 2 ................. 2

So my question is, which of the programs represented here would Badger fans gladly change places with over the last 12 years?

You do make a good point on past history. The 1 NCAA title trumps most of the programs on the list. I think the issue is the way the program is trending and that is a downward spiral. Another massive issue is the team appears to have quit on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Fwiw, Wisconsin didn't need the as auto bid to make the NCAA's two years ago. They needed to win 3 games, which they did, too get their PWR in the field. It just so happens that winning the three games also gave them an auto bid.

There are many arguments on why Eaves should be fired, I'm not sure merit of some of his teams that made the tourney is one I'd use. There are another two years where Wisconsin was the first team left out. Puck bounce or two the other way and things may be different. Same as if a puck bounces different in the Cornell game Eaves doesn't have a title.

Comment

I think the ZERO regular season titles tells the story too. In that amount of time he should have bagged a couple at minimum. The fact of the matter is generally we're hoping just to eek into the ncaa tourney, let alone fighting tooth and nail to win the reg season title. How many times in Eaves' tenure has UW been a lock to get in the ncaa's (not counting the autobid)....3? (2006, 2010, 2014).

We can't forget Blasi as a short list candidate.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I don't know if this was intentional, but I do know that it's hilarious.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      Fwiw, Wisconsin didn't need the as auto bid to make the NCAA's two years ago. They needed to win 3 games, which they did, too get their PWR in the field. It just so happens that winning the three games also gave them an auto bid.

There are many arguments on why Eaves should be fired, I'm not sure merit of some of his teams that made the tourney is one I'd use. There are another two years where Wisconsin was the first team left out. Puck bounce or two the other way and things may be different. Same as if a puck bounces different in the Cornell game Eaves doesn't have a title.

Points taken, and I know about the Cornell game - was there. I believe they (Cornell) hit a post/crossbar in one of the OTs.

The bolded helps to illustrate where I see the problem. We shouldn't be on the bubble so often or at least I'd like to see us not on the bubble so often.

Maybe it isn't realistic, but that's where I'm at. It seems that others are there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I get it. You want to convince us that Eaves is the best we can get and you think he should keep his job.

I just don't think you're gonna be able to convince those of us who want him gone of that - no matter how many paragraphs you write or how many charts you link to.
                        Thanks for clarifying, turns out it was me reading your other post weirdly.

I'm not under any illusions about convincing you or anybody, not that I'm really trying to. I do think it merits discussion beyond

"Eaves has DESTROYED the Program!!11!!!! Mark Johnson!!!!!111!!!

Which is what I see a good deal of in places outside of here and probably a couple of drive-by's here. I like what you said about not being a bubble team as much. We start talking bounces and we have to throw in the bad puck off of fat *** MacMillian in the last 2 minutes 9 months ago. Goes the other way and Wisco is 3-1 favorites against Ferris to make the FF and play MN who they swept a month before. And possibly firing 2 win Eaves gets even a tiny bit more complicated.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Mark Johnson wouldn't even be on the list of people I'd want considered.

Still awaiting Barry's call for my list...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I think the ZERO regular season titles tells the story too. In that amount of time he should have bagged a couple at minimum. The fact of the matter is generally we're hoping just to eek into the ncaa tourney, let alone fighting tooth and nail to win the reg season title. How many times in Eaves' tenure has UW been a lock to get in the ncaa's (not counting the autobid)....3? (2006, 2010, 2014).

You probably know this, but Bob Johnson won 1 regular season title in 16 years and Jeff Sauer won 2 in 20 years. Not that that means that Eaves should have 0.

Gurt said earlier that all ncaa appearances aren't equal, which is still true, but it breaks both ways. When I look at this list I have always felt that Miami, ND, and Michigan would have significantly less wins and less NCAA appearances if any of them had been playing in the old WCHA. But that's hypothetical and tough to actually prove.

Blasi is on all the short lists.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              You probably know this, but Bob Johnson won 1 regular season title in 16 years and Jeff Sauer won 2 in 20 years. Not that that means that Eaves should have 0.

Gurt said earlier that all ncaa appearances aren't equal, which is still true, but it breaks both ways. When I look at this list I have always felt that Miami, ND, and Michigan would have significantly less wins and less NCAA appearances if any of them had been playing in the old WCHA. But that's hypothetical and tough to actually prove.

Blasi is on all the short lists.
                              All NCAA appearances are equal, ask the back-door Badgers about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                Thanks for clarifying, turns out it was me reading your other post weirdly.

I'm not under any illusions about convincing you or anybody, not that I'm really trying to. I do think it merits discussion beyond

"Eaves has DESTROYED the Program!!11!!!! Mark Johnson!!!!!111!!!

Which is what I see a good deal of in places outside of here and probably a couple of drive-by's here. I like what you said about not being a bubble team as much. We start talking bounces and we have to throw in the bad puck off of fat *** MacMillian in the last 2 minutes 9 months ago. Goes the other way and Wisco is 3-1 favorites against Ferris to make the FF and play MN who they swept a month before. And possibly firing 2 win Eaves gets even a tiny bit more complicated.
                                it doesn't matter how the team finishes a year given the regularity of sub-0.500 starts to most seasons since 05-06. That type of start REALLY leaves a bad memory for most fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X