Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    All it takes is one big donor a la Penn State and you are off and running. The founder of Under Armour (Kevin Plank) is a Maryland alum and a billionaire. Maybe he could be their version of Terry Pegula someday. That area is a pretty good hockey market with the Capitals.

It comes down to media markets. You don't give up sizable media markets and the money that comes with it. Some of those "other side" schools actually have more attractive media markets than the "big boyz" you mentioned.
    It'll happen. This idea is nothing more than the NHL's "southern strategy" writ large. Sure, they'll like the money but they'll see certain aspects stagnate and then certain eyes will get out their measuring tape and saws. Fact is these groups will be very large and their interests will go a few different ways. One of the big boys will split apart in the next 10 years. Just a matter of who and when. The only tie that will bind after awhile is money... but as we know, money is never a full substitute for ego.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

All it takes is one big donor a la Penn State and you are off and running. The founder of Under Armour (Kevin Plank) is a Maryland alum and a billionaire. Maybe he could be their version of Terry Pegula someday. That area is a pretty good hockey market with the Capitals.

It comes down to media markets. You don't give up sizable media markets and the money that comes with it. Some of those "other side" schools actually have more attractive media markets than the "big boyz" you mentioned.
      Not refuting your comment, but as a point of interest, "Kevin Plank just announced today that he would not contribute to Maryland's ACC Exit Fee."

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...-exit-fee.html

The Big Ten TV Network is based on a regional model that involves securing TV markets. My point about the Big Boyz possibly leaving the Big Ten, would be driven by ESPN throwing billion$ at some sort of a "Super National Conference." Today were talking millions, tomorrow...who knows?

Anyway congrats on adding Rutgers. I didn't see that one coming, that's for sure.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        Chapter 18 on Championships.

"18.5.1 Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
        (a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is
        sought; and
        (b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in
        Bylaw 31.3.4. (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)"
        That sounds like the NCAA rule, not the B1G rule. I was talking about the B1G handbook.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          Not refuting your comment, but as a point of interest, "Kevin Plank just announced today that he would not contribute to Maryland's ACC Exit Fee."

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...-exit-fee.html

The Big Ten TV Network is based on a regional model that involves securing TV markets. My point about the Big Boyz possibly leaving the Big Ten, would be driven by ESPN throwing billion$ at some sort of a "Super National Conference." Today were talking millions, tomorrow...who knows?

Anyway congrats on adding Rutgers. I didn't see that one coming, that's for sure.
          If he's giving money to the school, he's helping with the exit fee, albeit in a roundabout way. Think of it this way: you give your kid $5 but say he can't buy candy with it. He goes to the store with that, and $5 he earned raking the neighbor's lawn and buys the $5 toy that he absolutely HAD to have, and $5 worth of candy because he's got money in his pocket. If you hadn't given him $5, he wouldn't have bought the candy, so can you really say what your $5 bill bought?
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Do you know where in the Handbook it says that? I've been looking all over for it and cannot find it.
            I don't know where you can find the actual rule posted, but the jist of it from my understanding is that the Big Ten won't allow a conference tournament unless there are at least six schools participating in the sport. And without a conference tournament, it has never made sense financially to form a BTHC.

Once PSU added hockey, it gave them the sixth team, and the ability to hold a conference tournament if they formed a BTHC.
            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM.
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              I don't know where you can find the actual rule posted, but the jist of it from my understanding is that the Big Ten won't a conference tournament unless there are at least six schools participating in the sport. And without a conference tournament, it has never made sense financially to form a BTHC.

Once PSU added hockey, it gave them the sixth team, and the ability to hold a conference tournament if they formed a BTHC.
              Yes, but what kind of vote is necessary to carry that process forward? Is it the full membership or just the concerned parties?
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Yes, but what kind of vote is necessary to carry that process forward? Is it the full membership or just the concerned parties?
                I have no idea. I was just clarifying that the rule is six schools, not 50% of the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  I don't know where you can find the actual rule posted, but the jist of it from my understanding is that the Big Ten won't allow a conference tournament unless there are at least six schools participating in the sport. And without a conference tournament, it has never made sense financially to form a BTHC.

Right, that was my understanding as well, but I'm curious if their Bylaws say 50% or 6 teams. It never made a huge difference before because they always needed 6 to get an automatic bid. Of course, it wouldn't really make a difference now, as I'm sure they would grandfather the league in (if it said 50%), but I'm just curious what the Bylaws actually say.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Ok, let's take the hockey perspective out of this. I guess it's possible, but not likely, especially not any time soon.

Let's even take out the location perspective. The closest current Big Ten school to Maryland and Rutgers is ~4hrs away from both institutions.

We're talking about a 9-1 Rutgers football team and a (usually) competitive Maryland hoops team. What are Kill and Tubby's excuses going to be when those teams get added in 2014?

Another thing, how will they adjust the divisions for football? They already don't make sense to me geographically so I would assume they will mess that up even worse once they add two more teams.

Serious question: Is there a hockey culture in New Jersey outside of the Devils?
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      Right, that was my understanding as well, but I'm curious if their Bylaws say 50% or 6 teams. It never made a huge difference before because they always needed 6 to get an automatic bid. Of course, it wouldn't really make a difference now, as I'm sure they would grandfather the league in (if it said 50%), but I'm just curious what the Bylaws actually say.
                      Everything I have ever read or heard is that it is six teams. Hard number, not percentage. Has always been six teams. I have never read or heard anything about it being 50% of member schools.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        Ok, let's take the hockey perspective out of this. I guess it's possible, but not likely, especially not any time soon.

Let's even take out the location perspective. The closest current Big Ten school to Maryland and Rutgers is ~4hrs away from both institutions.

We're talking about a 9-1 Rutgers football team and a (usually) competitive Maryland hoops team. What are Kill and Tubby's excuses going to be when those teams get added in 2014?

Another thing, how will they adjust the divisions for football? They already don't make sense to me geographically so I would assume they will mess that up even worse once they add two more teams.

Serious question: Is there a hockey culture in New Jersey outside of the Devils?
                        Fair question. Couple of points.

The devils have to compete with both the Rangers and the Flyers for fans. Besides that HS hockey has been and continues to grow in NJ. The biggest problem many players and schools have is getting ice rink time.

Comment

Yes. (USA Hockey registrations stats below):

1990-91: 6,452
                          2009-10: 16,041
                          Growth: 148.6%

Now, it's not the 53,450 participants Minnesota has or the 51,404 Michigan has, but it is a significant amount of participation and the growth is encouraging.

As for Maryland, Chris Peters at USofH had this to say:

I wanted to single out Maryland here to show how much it has continually grown over the last few years. In 2010-11, the state experienced 14% growth and is at an all-time high of 8,351 members. Some of this growth has been helped by a very solid and continually growing adult hockey community.

However, the youth ranks have grown significantly over the last two years. In 2010-11, youth membership had increased by 33.7% from 2008-09. This is an incredibly encouraging and exciting development.

There’s no doubt the success of Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals have played a role, but I’ve met some of the dedicated volunteers helping hockey in Maryland and they deserve a big piece of the credit.

Maryland’s neighbor, Virginia, also had another year of growth, increasing membership by an admirable 8.1%. While Washington, D.C., experienced an 8.5% spike in membership. Both have reached all-time highs in membership with 7,838 players in Virginia and 805 in D.C.
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Maryland and RU to Penn State and OSU's division, Illinois going to Michigan's. Already announced I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              The problem with your thinking is it removes the psychology of how programs want to view themselves. Some of those "big boyz" would end up being a doormat in the type of conference you are suggesting. As we all know, ego is a big thing in college athletics and I don't see most of those schools risking their current status/brand as a winner by possibly suddenly becoming the equivalent of Gopher football in their new super conference. The money is nice but fans at these places are also used to winning... and that will go down for some of these places in such a scenario.

And I'll say it again... a smart business person isn't going to ditch teams in sizable markets like Chicago and Minneapolis (which is what you are suggesting). Even if they are lousy teams, you are throwing away a healthy chunk of eyeballs.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

The problem with your thinking is it removes the psychology of how programs want to view themselves. Some of those "big boyz" would end up being a doormat in the type of conference you are suggesting. As we all know, ego is a big thing in college athletics and I don't see most of those schools risking their current status/brand as a winner by possibly suddenly becoming the equivalent of Gopher football in their new super conference. The money is nice but fans at these places are also used to winning... and that will go down for some of these places in such a scenario.

And I'll say it again... a smart business person isn't going to ditch teams in sizable markets like Chicago and Minneapolis (which is what you are suggesting). Even if they are lousy teams, you are throwing away a healthy chunk of eyeballs.
                                I wouldn't waste your time talking to him Hammy.

Comment

Working...
                                X