Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part II: You Better Starting Posting the Engineer Way

Probably everyone read it while I was out, but today's "What If" on WaP is the Graeme Townshend incident.

Since these appear to be chronological, that means Oates et al. not leaving isn't included.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part II: You Better Starting Posting the Engineer Way

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I would think that only a small part of the decline is due to the ECAC. I think that the biggest part is the RPI Admin requiring higher academic standards than they allowed at that time. Some, by no means a majority, of the 1985 team would not have been admitted a few years later.
      Agree 100%! Even 5 years later, things were different.
      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
        To be fair, I never said they wouldn't have, I simply said it could have created a more difficult road.

I suspect we have different evaluations on how Hockey East developed, and of RPI's ability to compete for recruits with the top end of the Hockey East food chain. Perhaps things could have been different if RPI had won a national championship in Hockey East and in the conference's first year, but not all of the program's decline since 1985 is directly related to being in the ECAC.

Trying to be fair and have an energetic discourse --> Articles have been great!

I didn't mean to attribute a lot of the decline to the ECAC. I was trying to say the program could have differentiated in HE - executing is an entirely other matter.
        Class of '93

Comment

WaP's What If for today: What if Servinis had been called offsides? My opinion is that we would have won anyway and probably by the same score since we would have kept up the pressure longer.

1. I would have a different name
          2. They would have won regardless. I still maintain Puppa let in PC's only goal.
          Class of '93

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Possibly RB. But I saw a lot of that 1984 team and they were a very well oiled offensive machine. Perhaps a tad less good at defense than the following year but they usually could just plain score on anyone at any time. I felt back then that I had never seen a better two game performance by a goalie and i still feel that way. Perhaps we would not have won it all anyw ay. But if I close my eyes right now-I think I could still see some of the saves he made. Of course we will never know what would have happened-but if we someohow had gotten by him and NDak-I think we would have been a handful for anyone. BTW although Casey really did virtually beat us pretty much by himself, the rest of the NDak team was very very good and the games would have been tough anyway. Just do not even ask me to comment about the officiating of that series. I thought coach Addessa would burst a blood vessel in his head the first night.
            I agree w/ DrD. Casey, and Casey only held UND in this series. I felt they had a more talented team all-around in 83-84. But, if you listen to the Q&A from the anniversary gathering on rpitv, to a man, the team said they became more mature and focused with this loss, and overall were well prepared for 84-85. I'm just thrilled they got it done one time...
            Class of '93

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
              I agree w/ DrD. Casey, and Casey only held UND in this series. I felt they had a more talented team all-around in 83-84. But, if you listen to the Q&A from the anniversary gathering on rpitv, to a man, the team said they became more mature and focused with this loss, and overall were well prepared for 84-85. I'm just thrilled they got it done one time...
              Exactly-the one time was a shining light. But i cannot help but feel we had that other chance the year before and it was just not to be. Even after the first night that Casey beat us (and make no mistake-Jon Casey beat us) i was still so sure we would come back and blow them out the next night. Very depressing trip back down the Thruway after that series. The thought had dawned on me that maybe that was our only chance-and that the next year we would just have lost too much either to graduation or turning professional.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Things to put in the, "Duhh", column....I've got the NHL Network on in the background & they're showing a replay of last years WJR's game, Finland vs Slovakia. It's not until Milos Bubela takes a penalty that I realize......
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

WaP from Saturday, "What if" we had lost athletic scholarships in 2003 http://www.withoutapeer.com/2012/12/what-if-purity.html
                  WaP from yesterday, "What If" Andy Murray had accepted the job offer to coach RPI http://www.withoutapeer.com/2012/12/...g-of-troy.html
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"What If" Andy Murray had accepted the job offer to coach RPI http://www.withoutapeer.com/2012/12/...g-of-troy.html
                    I am usually in sync with the editors of WaP but I don’t even like to hazard to guess where we would be without our great coach. Just to tick off a few things we would be missing if SA was not here are 1) seeing the development of Chase and Yorkie into Hobey Baker finalists. 2) seeing talented players like JDA and Pirri wearing the Cherry and White. 3) Getting an NCAA bid in the 5th year of the rebuild. 4) Enhancement of hockey experience at HFH. Etc. etc. etc.

In an ironic twist to this column, my vast college hockey sources informed me that when Murray got the Western Michigan job, SA was the first choice (remember Blashill is SA’s best friend). Mark it down RB, when # 17, #19 and # 33 are seniors this team will be a frozen four contender.
                    Last edited by AspyDad; 12-24-2012, 06:26 PM.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        I am usually in sync with the editors of WaP but I don’t even like to hazard to guess where we would be without our great coach. Just to tick off a few things we would be missing if SA was not here are 1) seeing the development of Chase and Yorkie into Hobey Baker finalists. 2) seeing talented players like JDA and Pirri wearing the Cherry and White. 3) Getting an NCAA bid in the 5th year of the rebuild. 4) Enhancement of hockey experience at HFH. Etc. etc. etc.

In an ironic twist to this column, my vast college hockey sources informed me that when Murray got the Western Michigan job, SA was the first choice (remember Blashill is SA’s best friend). Mark it down RB, when # 17, #19 and # 33 are seniors this team will be a frozen four contender.
                        I hope you're right and not into your 2nd qrt of egg nog when you wrote this. Although you are asking for another 3 years before we are contenders and I think others on here would agree we would rather see next year or even better this year but we know that probably is not going to happen.

Merry Xmas to you brother.

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
                          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                            Mark it down RB, when # 17, #19 and # 33 are seniors this team will be a frozen four contender.
                            That's 2016. Aren't we supposed to win that year?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That's 2016. Aren't we supposed to win that year?
                              Every 31 years seems about right. I suspect we will be a much better team as this year progresses and that the next few years we will finally see the fruits of all the solid recruiting done. Start thinking about getting tickets to the NCAA tournament games soon guys-it is going to happen! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here and thanks to those who have kept it interesting with wit, sarcasm, facts, and occassional whimsy.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I know that RPI had success after George Low's departure but I think that was the begining of the end for Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X