Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part II: You Better Starting Posting the Engineer Way

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The audio is from RPI's radio station WRPI, so there is more talking than one would normally get from a video production. It certainly isn't a major problem.
    I seem to remember, during Tim Heiman's first few cracks at Time Warner, that he would call the game just like if he were on the radio. Personally, I think it sounds like awkward silence if you don't call it as if you were on the radio; I much prefer radio announcers on top of video.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part II: You Better Starting Posting the Engineer Way

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I seem to remember, during Tim Heiman's first few cracks at Time Warner, that he would call the game just like if he were on the radio. Personally, I think it sounds like awkward silence if you don't call it as if you were on the radio; I much prefer radio announcers on top of video.
      Ralph is correct, for obvious reasons, TV PBP is less wordy than radio. I have a friend in broadcasting and he instilled in me a long time ago, hockey is by far the hardest game to call - on either medium. The artistry being not in what is said, but what the PBP announcer leaves out...As hard as many try (Jason Moy comes to mind -- no offense Jay) you cannot keep up with the travel of the puck.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
        Compared to Union, Colgate, Clarkson and some of the other schools in the league, I think the facilities, media coverage and support from the school and the community is as good or better. As for Troy, it is getting better. Have you seen New Haven? And little burgs like Canton, Hamilton, Hanover and Hamden don't exactly scream out, "come here for four years." Troy was much worse off in the 80's and that didn't stop guys like Hammond, Sadeghpour, Oates, Servinis, Jooris and Juneau from coming. RPI has the things in place to succeed in this league. I don't think any ECAC teams are going to win a national championship soon, but the top 2 or 3 can compete with most of the rest of the teams in the country most years.
        Yes, I have seen New Haven, but not since the early 1990's. It certainly wasn't great back then.

I certainly agree that Troy has improved, and the fact that NY 7 has been rerouted also helps a bit as I imagine that most recruits arrive from that direction.

The "beauty" of Troy in any case is overshadowed by other factors. I visited RPI in the summer of 1963, and whatever I saw at that time didn't deter me from attending. (almost 50 years. )
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes, I have seen New Haven, but not since the early 1990's. It certainly wasn't great back then.

I certainly agree that Troy has improved, and the fact that NY 7 has been rerouted also helps a bit as I imagine that most recruits arrive from that direction.

The "beauty" of Troy in any case is overshadowed by other factors. I visited RPI in the summer of 1963, and whatever I saw at that time didn't deter me from attending. (almost 50 years. )
          Did you come up on US 7 and then head west, or something?

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Radio announcers who do TV games seem to continually speak as if they are on the radio describing the play, creating a visual for the listener.
            However, for TV, you don't have to continually speak since the audience is viewing it. Two totally different calls from a play by play perspective.
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

The City has indeed come a long way. What we haven't discussed is the growth of the campus. Despite what folks here think of Shirley's leadership, through her tremendous success in growing the endowment, she has absolutely transformed RPI into a world class campus, IMO. The ECAV and HFH reno being just two of many examples.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                I respectfully disagree. Radio announcers who do TV games seem to continually speak as if they are on the radio describing the play, creating a visual for the listener.
                However, for TV, you don't have to continually speak since the audience is viewing it. Two totally different calls from a play by play perspective.
                It's all good. Maybe I'm just used to RJ, who calls Sabres games on WGR and has his audio put into the Empire and now MSG telecasts. I just don't really like hearing silence on a telecast unless the situation is warranted; I'll attribute it to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  Ralph is correct, for obvious reasons, TV PBP is less wordy than radio. I have a friend in broadcasting and he instilled in me a long time ago, hockey is by far the hardest game to call - on either medium. The artistry being not in what is said, but what the PBP announcer leaves out...As hard as many try (Jason Moy comes to mind -- no offense Jay) you cannot keep up with the travel of the puck.
                  I have said this before, but I also want to commend WRPI's announcers for giving essentially nonpartial commentary. I assume that being RPI students or alumni, they do root for RPI, but IMHO it still has no place in the coverage. In the days of B2/America One, subscriptions included away games at other schools that had B2. I remember in particular SLU's announcers as being impossible to listen to. It was better to lsiten to WRPI which wouldn't be synched with B2.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    The City has indeed come a long way. What we haven't discussed is the growth of the campus. Despite what folks here think of Shirley's leadership, through her tremendous success in growing the endowment, she has absolutely transformed RPI into a world class campus, IMO. The ECAV and HFH reno being just two of many examples.
                    He's not arriving until next season.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                      Was it onside? I watched it 3 times, looked like #10 was in before the puck. I'd be interested in seeing Q's 2nd goal, but I imagine that video was burned
                      I watched it at five in the morning, so I may have not seen it (and I was looking for it). They have two guys that arguably could have been called offsides, when I get home and get on a connection that doesn't suck I'll take another look at it. They had two guys offsides when the pass was made, both got their skates back to the line but perhaps it was after the pass entered the zone.

At any rate, the only thing it would mean is something we already know, the officiating is awful. Isn't why we lost and I hold QU blameless.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                        Compared to Union, Colgate, Clarkson and some of the other schools in the league, I think the facilities, media coverage and support from the school and the community is as good or better. As for Troy, it is getting better. Have you seen New Haven? And little burgs like Canton, Hamilton, Hanover and Hamden don't exactly scream out, "come here for four years." Troy was much worse off in the 80's and that didn't stop guys like Hammond, Sadeghpour, Oates, Servinis, Jooris and Juneau from coming. RPI has the things in place to succeed in this league. I don't think any ECAC teams are going to win a national championship soon, but the top 2 or 3 can compete with most of the rest of the teams in the country most years.
                        FWIW downtown New Haven has been upgraded considerably since the 90's. There is a thriving nightlife and dining scene and with the addition of Gateway College replacing two shuttered anchor stores even more pedestrian traffic. The restoration and upgrade of Ingalls Rink is a spectacular success. Given the choice between the two cities, I would choose New Haven hands down. Having been to Troy and the barn you suffer in for a rink, the fantastically supportive fans deserve a better facility. Just do not change The Notty Pine whatever you do!
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          FWIW downtown New Haven has been upgraded considerably since the 90's. There is a thriving nightlife and dining scene and with the addition of Gateway College replacing two shuttered anchor stores even more pedestrian traffic. The restoration and upgrade of Ingalls Rink is a spectacular success. Given the choice between the two cities, I would choose New Haven hands down. Having been to Troy and the barn you suffer in for a rink, the fantastically supportive fans deserve a better facility. Just do not change The Notty Pine whatever you do!
                          I'll second the Notty. I try to head there whenever I'm in town and not grazing on something else. No comment on your rink assessment.

Comment

I'll second the Notty. I try to head there whenever I'm in town and not grazing on something else. No comment on your rink assessment.
                            Some day while in Troy, I will have to venture into the Notty Pine again. My recollection of its food from way-back-when is that it was horrid. The problem is getting up the nerve.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Some day while in Troy, I will have to venture into the Notty Pine again. We recollection of its food from way-back-when is that it was horrid. The problem is getting up the nerve.
                              We've been there more than once, for what it's worth. I can't recall all the various menu items members of our group ordered, I had burgers each time and they were fine. I like the atmosphere there, it's my kind of dive! They have a nice house chianti as well, liked it so much we started buying it to drink at home too (Carlo Rossi chianti, a classic jug wine).
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Some day while in Troy, I will have to venture into the Notty Pine again. My recollection of its food from way-back-when is that it was horrid. The problem is getting up the nerve.
                                Pizza (square pan) and wings are the attraction RB, that and the fact than many players/families regularly fill the back room after home games. Let me know when you're coming, its on me!...and bring Doc with you for gawds sakes

Comment

Working...
                                X