No announcement yet.

Saint Anselm possibly moving up to D-I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saint Anselm possibly moving up to D-I?

Originally posted by davinchi View Post
    Russell,
    I am not disagreeing with you but since you stated it as 'fact' - can you pove this occurred?
    If Chris Lerch is lurking, he will remember the details better than I. But, if I recall properly, the coach at the time told us the school gave the hockey team six scholarships to dole out. He would give partial scholarships out to as many players as possible. Being a Division I school, it was perfectly legal, as long as the conference they competed in didn't have a rule against it. Apparently, the ECAC West did not.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      "Atlantic" Hockey is DI in name only - most of the schools are DI or DII schools that played down to DIII and didn't compete very well. The exceptions are AFA and Army (which have always had low end DI programs), and RIT which had a very self-important DIII program. St. As could compete here, but would they really want to, given the travel costs?
      Atlantic Hockey is a LOT better than it was when RIT and Air Force joined the league. Last year, they received their first at-large tournament bid. They are still mid-major without question, but the teams are getting better and are more competitive against non-conference teams. Going off what St. A's record has been playing DIII hockey, without improvement, I think they would be a bottom half of the league team to start. If Sullivan Arena is as nice as you say it is, it will be a nice recruiting tool to get better players - especially with a chance to go to the DI NCAA tournament.

NCAA tournament success is still limited to RIT's run to the Frozen Four and single game wins by Air Force and Holy Cross. But the games are competitive - Canisius nearly beat Quinnipiac last year, and they were a bottom half of league team that won the Atlantic Hockey tournament.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        Atlantic Hockey is a LOT better than it was when RIT and Air Force joined the league. Last year, they received their first at-large tournament bid. They are still mid-major without question, but the teams are getting better and are more competitive against non-conference teams. Going off what St. A's record has been playing DIII hockey, without improvement, I think they would be a bottom half of the league team to start. If Sullivan Arena is as nice as you say it is, it will be a nice recruiting tool to get better players - especially with a chance to go to the DI NCAA tournament.

NCAA tournament success is still limited to RIT's run to the Frozen Four and single game wins by Air Force and Holy Cross. But the games are competitive - Canisius nearly beat Quinnipiac last year, and they were a bottom half of league team that won the Atlantic Hockey tournament.
        Saint Anselm's rink is a beauty and it has room to double the capacity easily should they go D1 and develop a decent fan base.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Saint Anselm's rink is a beauty and it has room to double the capacity easily should they go D1 and develop a decent fan base.
          Not sure that expansion of the rink is necessary to join ATlantic Hockey
          Most , excluding Army,AirForce, average under 1000 in attendence.
          Sullivan Arena can easily handle those numbers. There is no team in the league That will be that " big" draw to require expansion.
          New rumor is St.A's and Holy Cross going to ECAC in both men's and womens.
          Better fit IF DI is in fact a real option, which
          Will be decided in the next year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
            If the ECAC expands, I've got to think that RIT is the first one in. They have made no secret of the fact they would love to end up in the ECAC. And the ECAC has invited them before, but at the time RIT didn't want to move up to D1.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              If the ECAC expands, I've got to think that RIT is the first one in. They have made no secret of the fact they would love to end up in the ECAC. And the ECAC has invited them before, but at the time RIT didn't want to move up to D1.
              The thought is that HC and St.A's join as a pair .
              For the currently under represented NE members , the travel to Manchester, Worcester makes all sorts of sense .

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                Not sure that expansion of the rink is necessary to join ATlantic Hockey
                Most , excluding Army,AirForce, average under 1000 in attendence.
                Sullivan Arena can easily handle those numbers. There is no team in the league That will be that " big" draw to require expansion.
                I wasn't insinuating they needed to expand. Just saying that they easily could expand the rink should they need to if they start drawing big crowds that sell out their current capacity.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Do you think RIT would have gotten in over Quinnipiac had they applied for the ECAC opening instead of Atlantic Hockey? I'm curious. I think the AHA has been very good for RIT, so I don't think there is any regret.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Do you think RIT would have gotten in over Quinnipiac had they applied for the ECAC opening instead of Atlantic Hockey? I'm curious. I think the AHA has been very good for RIT, so I don't think there is any regret.
                    Doesn't mean the ECAC won't be better for RIT.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

It was between Holy Cross and Quinnipiac as to who got in. Quinny got in because they said they'd field a D1 women's team. Holy Cross keeps their women's team down playing D-III teams.

HC was the better fit academically, but the lack of commitment to women's hockey did them in.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        HC was the better fit academically, but the lack of commitment to women's hockey did them in.
                        There was a lot of grumbling among some of the Ivies that Quinnipiac was not academically up to snuff.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

There was a lot of grumbling among some of the Ivies that Quinnipiac was not academically up to snuff.
                          There was a lot of grumbling from some of the NESCACs that Castleton was not academically up to snuff...

Gee, like minds think alike?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

The Ivies grumble about every school that is not Ivy League. So, what's your point?
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

The Ivies grumble about every school that is not Ivy League. So, what's your point?
                              I went to one, and some of it is reasonable - however, some of it is chest thumping arrogance. Although, the the Ivies are much more egalitarian in that regard than are the NESCACs. The Ivies even allowed Clarkson in to the ECAC (waiting, waiting ...)
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I went to one, and some of it is reasonable - however, some of it is chest thumping arrogance. Although, the the Ivies are much more egalitarian in that regard than are the NESCACs. The Ivies even allowed Clarkson in to the ECAC (waiting, waiting ...)
                                http://abcnews.go.com/Business/12-co...4#.Ua_qaECPOac
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X