This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSSU Laker Hockey 2012-2013, Part 2

Old thread was about to max out. So I thought I 'd fire up a new thread.

Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2012-2013, Part 2

OK, frustrating split. But I think Coach Roque's comments on Saturday night were good -- sometimes you have to tip you hat to the other team. The Lakers fired a ton of shots at Ferris on Saturday -- but very few second-chances. Lots of shots ere on target, and then cleared away quickly -- or covered expertly.

I don't have a problem with that, because you can't score if you don't shoot. But aside from the shots that were too-easily cleared, the Lakers had a few nice chances in the offensive zone and they fumbled the puck, or made a sloppy pass. Too many opportunities went wasted. But I think Roque made a nice point in the post-game comments about having little to complain about. He knows this is not an offensive machine. He knows that really we have one really good line, a decent second line, and then a good collection of checkers. But they were generating chances lines 1 through 4. That is nice to see. Yes, they tossed away a few of those chances, but the what I see is this: They are moving the puck up ice, and getting into the zone.

I think they should've had the sweep, and its a shame they didn't get it. But that is OK. UAH is coming into town -- need a nice strong showing. Then OSU comes to town.

Comment

It's nice that they are looking good moving the puck up the ice, but and there is always a but. They need to finish the offensive play when the chances are there and bury the puck in the net. You can win games with a good defense but you also need to have guys take the pressure from defensive games with better offense when you get 7 power plays and 40 some shots. Somehow someway they need to get the pucks into the net when given so many chances.

Comment

This weekend's series with UAH will be the last one with students in two months. They will be gone next weekend for Thanksgiving and then they will be gone for the NMU and Union series for Christmas break.

Heard Pete Spratte might play this coming weekend depending on his wrist.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

And as an aside, Ferris is not exactly chopped liver as a team.

I think the scheduling is a little poor this year, at least the Students are concerned. I think they are getting jobbed with so many home games on "vacation" weekends. Hopefully the boys can put up some nice wins and greet the students back to town in January with a winning team.

Comment

In the preseason I hypothesized that if LSSU scored 120 goals and held their opponents to 100 goals in their 36 regular season games that they would finish in the CCHA top 4 and secure an NCAA berth, along with a list of goal projections IMade for each player that I thought was feasible to reach that 120 goal mark. The Lakers are 5-5 after 10 games, 27.7% of the way through their season and they have scored 25 goals thus far, only 20.8% of their needed goal total for this scenarios, so they are behind their required pace toward the 120 mark. They have given up 28 goals, 28% of their "allotment" of 100 so they are about right on pace defensively. Below in the left colum is each players goal total thus far for the season and in the right column was my preseason projection for them as a reference with their progress percentage listed....27.7% would be exactly on pace, a higher percentage means they are above their goal allotment pace, a lower than 27.7% means they are behind their projected pace.

Mcparland 3 - 17 17%

Monardo 3 - 15 20%

Lain 2 - 12 16.6%

Campbell 0 - 7 0%

Ciotti 4 - 7 57%

Radke 3 - 7 42%

Perfetto 2 - 7 28.5%

Power 2 - 7 28.5%

Robinson 2 -7 28.5 %

McKay 0 - 5 0%

Vernace 0 - 5 0%

Czuczman 1 - 5 20%

Ainsworth 0 - 3 0%

Schmitt 0 - 3 0%

Perrault 0 - 2 0%

Loesch 0 - 2 0%

Sternberg 2 - 2 100%

Bruneteau 0 - 2 0%

Wees 0 - 1 0%

Dommett 0 - 1 0%

Spratte 0 - 1 0%

Wall 0 - 1 0%

Drapluk 1 - 1 100 %
            Last edited by AnchorsAway; 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
              In the preseason I hypothesized that if LSSU scored 120 goals and held their opponents to 100 goals in their 36 regular season games that they would finish in the CCHA top 4 and secure an NCAA berth, along with a list of goal projections IMade for each player that I thought was feasible to reach that 120 goal mark. The Lakers are 5-5 after 10 games, 27.7% of the way through their season and they have scored 25 goals thus far, only 20.8% of their needed goal total for this scenarios, so they are behind their required pace toward the 120 mark. They have given up 28 goals, 28% of their "allotment" of 100 so they are about right on pace defensively. Below in the left colum is each players goal total thus far for the season and in the right column was my preseason projection for them as a reference with their progress percentage listed....27.7% would be exactly on pace, a higher percentage means they are above their goal allotment pace, a lower than 27.7% means they are behind their projected pace.

Mcparland 3 - 17 17%

Monardo 3 - 15 20%

Lain 2 - 12 16.6%

Campbell 0 - 7 0%

Ciotti 4 - 7 57%

Radke 3 - 7 42%

Perfetto 2 - 7 28.5%

Power 2 - 7 28.5%

Robinson 2 -7 28.5 %

McKay 0 - 5 0%

Vernace 0 - 5 0%

Czuczman 1 - 5 20%

Ainsworth 0 - 3 0%

Schmitt 0 - 3 0%

Perrault 0 - 2 0%

Loesch 0 - 2 0%

Sternberg 2 - 2 100%

Bruneteau 0 - 2 0%

Wees 0 - 1 0%

Dommett 0 - 1 0%

Spratte 0 - 1 0%

Wall 0 - 1 0%

Drapluk 1 - 1 100 %

With Lain back in the fold, I would expect to see continued growth from the top line. But your chart offers some insight into why the team is "only" .500 -- secondary scoring. The bottom lines are not chipping in much of anything.

You can have a lousy PP as long as the 3rd and 4th lines are producing a goal or two per weekend. You can have a few stinker games (Saturday Tech, Saturday BSU) -- but the Lakers left points on the ice in Faribanks, and at home against MSU and Ferris, because they had neither PP nor the secondary scoring. UAF, MSU, and Ferris should have been, and could have been, three wins. 9 points. Time for the boys lower on the depth chart to start chipping in offensively.

Comment

Offense offense offense has been the sore point keeping the team from becoming an upper tier team for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                  With Lain back in the fold, I would expect to see continued growth from the top line. But your chart offers some insight into why the team is "only" .500 -- secondary scoring. The bottom lines are not chipping in much of anything.

You can have a lousy PP as long as the 3rd and 4th lines are producing a goal or two per weekend. You can have a few stinker games (Saturday Tech, Saturday BSU) -- but the Lakers left points on the ice in Faribanks, and at home against MSU and Ferris, because they had neither PP nor the secondary scoring. UAF, MSU, and Ferris should have been, and could have been, three wins. 9 points. Time for the boys lower on the depth chart to start chipping in offensively.
                  Could not agree more, as I listed above, The Lakers are on track defensively as it is, but the offensive woes seem more glaring when you consider that the Lakers 3 bad defensive games ( losses against MSU, BSU, and MTU) have accounted for 17 of their 28 goals...their remaining 11 goals against have been spread out among their other 7 games, for an average GAA of 1.57 and I'm sorry but you cannot afford to lose games that your defense is only requiring on average a 2 goal output to win.

As far as my projections, it appears I overestimated the contributions from especially McKay and Vernace, I was expecting that they would be two of our leading freshmen, and unfortunately they have only combined to be in the lineup 7 times thus far, but who knows maybe one night when they get in they can pop in a goal and get their season back on track.

The Lakers have what appears to be a softball of a series this weekend against UAH at home, under no circumstances is anything but a clean sweep acceptable.

Comment

Off to a good start. We should be 7-5-0 after the weekend. On par with the past five years.

(12-13) 7-5-0
                    (11-12) 8-3-1
                    (10-11) 5-5-2
                    (9-10) 6-6-2
                    (8-9) 6-3-3

We're counting on a good second half to get us in the top 1/2 of the league and a trip to JLA Arena in the leagues final year.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post

We're counting on a good second half to get us in the top 1/2 of the league and a trip to JLA Arena in the leagues final year.
                      It would certainly nice to see, being that this is the last year for the CCHA and the J.L.A.

Anyone have any opinions on the current proposal to try and get UAH into the new WCHA? I have sympathy for Alabama and their predicament but I do not think it should fall on the smaller schools (and that is what the NWCHA will consist of) to support both Alaska teams and UAH....the cost will simply be too much but apparently Roque is in favor.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                        It would certainly nice to see, being that this is the last year for the CCHA and the J.L.A.

Anyone have any opinions on the current proposal to try and get UAH into the new WCHA? I have sympathy for Alabama and their predicament but I do not think it should fall on the smaller schools (and that is what the NWCHA will consist of) to support both Alaska teams and UAH....the cost will simply be too much but apparently Roque is in favor.
                        I'm in favor of admitting UAH to the nWCHA. Yes, it's a long bus trip but so was the trip to UNO when they were in the CCHA. It's also to a warmer climate and should be a nice break from the Winter weather. I think the second trip to Alaska in a season is a bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          I'm in favor of admitting UAH to the nWCHA. Yes, it's a long bus trip but so was the trip to UNO when they were in the CCHA. It's also to a warmer climate and should be a nice break from the Winter weather. I think the second trip to Alaska in a season is a bigger issue.
                          Agreed with what Bill said.
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                            Agreed with what Bill said.
                            I think UAH is best fit for Atlantic Hockey. Just my opinion. I have no problem with alaska trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                              I think UAH is best fit for Atlantic Hockey. Just my opinion. I have no problem with alaska trips.
                              I agree with Lakerblue.
                              Go Lakers!

Comment

Working...
                              X