This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2012-2013, Part 2

Anyone going to one of the Regionals this weekend? I'm planning on going to the West Regional in GR.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
      Buddy Robinson has signed with the Ottawa Senators.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....al-with-ottawa
      I have a feeling that Czuczman will be the next to go this offseason.

Comment

Congratulations to Buddy Robinson becoming the 4th Laker in the last 2 years to leave early to sign with an NHL team. Unfortunately this leaves our offense in even more of a precarious situation, and I would say takes even more wind out of the argument that Lake State is playing with subpar talent and emboldens the question as to why we are not producing greater results these days when we have more pro level players than in years past when we had less pro type players. On the bright side hopefully this will further our reputation in the recruiting world as a launching pad to the pros...4 players leaving early to sign pro deals in two years? That has to be near the top of the heap in college hockey.

On another topic that has been basically brushed over, I didn't realize this until a friend brought this to my attention but how in the world does Domenic Monardo, who led the entire CCHA in goals scored in league play only make honorable mention??? What a biased joke the CCHA was, thank god we won't have to deal with the favoritism towards the "big boy" schools in our new league.

Any predictions for the NCAA tournament?? I picked Miami to win it all, they seem prone to poor play this time of year recently but I respect Coach Blasi and that entire program and I'm hoping this is the year they can finally bury the skeleton of the 2009 title game and finish the job.

Comment

Anchors,you don't think a MI or a Miami or Notre Dame or some other top teams couldn't lose a handful of players to early departures ? I think the reason why the Laker players jumped was for the reason of not getting bogged down with a program that doesn't seem to develope the players . The players leaving most likely see a better chance of developement than staying at Lake State.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            Anchors,you don't think a MI or a Miami or Notre Dame or some other top teams couldn't lose a handful of players to early departures ? I think the reason why the Laker players jumped was for the reason of not getting bogged down with a program that doesn't seem to develope the players . The players leaving most likely see a better chance of developement than staying at Lake State.
            They leave for two reasons: dollars and cents. Stay, risk injury, NHL contract- GONE! As for Monardo, he was tied for 15th in conference scoring. Which of those first or second team forwards should have been left off someone's ballot in favor of Monardo?
            Last edited by davyd83; 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
              Congratulations to Buddy Robinson becoming the 4th Laker in the last 2 years to leave early to sign with an NHL team. Unfortunately this leaves our offense in even more of a precarious situation, and I would say takes even more wind out of the argument that Lake State is playing with subpar talent and emboldens the question as to why we are not producing greater results these days when we have more pro level players than in years past when we had less pro type players. On the bright side hopefully this will further our reputation in the recruiting world as a launching pad to the pros...4 players leaving early to sign pro deals in two years? That has to be near the top of the heap in college hockey.

On another topic that has been basically brushed over, I didn't realize this until a friend brought this to my attention but how in the world does Domenic Monardo, who led the entire CCHA in goals scored in league play only make honorable mention??? What a biased joke the CCHA was, thank god we won't have to deal with the favoritism towards the "big boy" schools in our new league.

Any predictions for the NCAA tournament?? I picked Miami to win it all, they seem prone to poor play this time of year recently but I respect Coach Blasi and that entire program and I'm hoping this is the year they can finally bury the skeleton of the 2009 title game and finish the job.
              I agree with Davy about Monardo. I guess Domenic needed more assists to balance out his scoring. He finished tied for 15th in CCHA scoring stats. All the forwards that made 1st or 2nd team had more points than him except Carpenter, who had the same amount. My guess is that if the Lakers beat BG in the 3rd game of their playoff series and Domenic put up a point or two, he would have made second team CCHA instead of Carpenter.

Miami has an outside shot if they can generate more offense. Their problem is that they have the big scoring line with Barber and Czarnik on it, and if you shut down that line, they are definitely beatable. They need to play with the lead or at least stay even late into tourney games. I think if they get behind, especially by more than one goal, they are in trouble. If they can get scoring from their other lines, it will greatly improve their chances.

While getting guys into the pros helps the program's name on the one hand, you also have to wonder if the number of guys leaving early the past few seasons might be because they've lost confidence in Roque.
              Last edited by Bill; 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

With all that talent, and finishes in the last eight seasons of 8th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 8th, and 7th, and a career winning percentage of 38%, its no wonder the Athletic Director, President of the University, and the majority of people on here want this coach back for another few years. The Lakers will dominate the nWCHA under the direction and proven track record, on and off the ice, of this head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  I agree with Davy about Monardo. I guess Domenic needed more assists to balance out his scoring. He finished tied for 15th in CCHA scoring stats. All the forwards that made 1st or 2nd team had more points than him except Carpenter, who had the same amount. My guess is that if the Lakers beat BG in the 3rd game of their playoff series and Domenic put up a point or two, he would have made second team CCHA instead of Carpenter.

Miami has an outside shot if they can generate more offense. Their problem is that they have the big scoring line with Barber and Czarnik on it, and if you shut down that line, they are definitely beatable. They need to play with the lead or at least stay even late into tourney games. I think if they get behind, especially by more than one goal, they are in trouble. If they can get scoring from their other lines, it will greatly improve their chances.

While getting guys into the pros helps the program's name on the one hand, you also have to wonder if the number of guys leaving early the past few seasons might be because they've lost confidence in Roque.
                  Is the number of players leaving early at Michigan because they've lost confidence in Red? If Austin Czarnik or Riley Barber leaves Miami, is it because they've lost confidence in Rico? Did Riley Sheahan leave Notre Dame for the Red Wings because he lost confidence in Jeff Jackson?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Is the number of players leaving early at Michigan because they've lost confidence in Red? If Austin Czarnik or Riley Barber leaves Miami, is it because they've lost confidence in Rico? Did Riley Sheahan leave Notre Dame for the Red Wings because he lost confidence in Jeff Jackson?
                    I don't believe any player has left LSSU early in the past few years because of a lack of confidence in the coach or the program. In fact, it should reflect positively on Roque that he and his staff are starting to bring in players which are in demand in the pro ranks, and who have the option going pro early.

None of that alters my opinion that I would not mind seeing a change at the top. That is not because Roque can't recruit -- he is in fact a fine recruiter, in my opinion. Its not that he is a bad coach, either. Rather, as discussed at length in other postings, I just think he is unable to put the team over the hump. There are too many second-half flops, too many lost road trips through Ohio (for instance), too many games like this seasona against Bemdiji, UAF, and UAH where points were lost too cheaply. Too many playoff failures. Too many seasons ending in ugly, uninspired lopsided sweeps. Too many empty seats.

Just my oft-noted opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
                      and a career winning percentage of 38%.
                      Actually it's 46% Truthy.
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        Anyone going to one of the Regionals this weekend? I'm planning on going to the West Regional in GR.
                        May check out the series in Toledo.
                        Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Actually it's 46% Truthy.
                          120 wins in 314 games = 38% winning percentage. Not ties, or shootout wins, percentage, but actual W's....Hey that is good enough for the Administration up there, good enough for the majority of posters on here, good enough for the hundreds of people that show up for a playoff series, its good enough for me.

Next season 39% and 7th place in this coaches 9th season!!!

Comment

With Robinson now gone, who the hell is left who can even score goals ?

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I think the main reason players leave early for the pros is the money and the fact that ultimately that is their dream, to eventually make it in the big time NHL. Davy, I know you like playing the devils advocate, but I think you're going way overboard with that comment/comparison. I'm simply saying, and this is my opinion, that in the case of the Lakers I've had a growing feeling over the past several seasons that perhaps Jim Roque doesn't have the confidence and respect of his players that should be there. The team has been annoyingly inconsistent in recent seasons. Unfortunately the most consistent aspect of their performance is that they tend to go in late season slumps, which is the opposite of what you would want. Roque and staff have done a pretty job of recruiting, the overall talent level of the teams has been increasing, but the bottom line results aren't getting better. It's getting to be "same old same old" every season. Yes, the teams are better that Anzalone's second stint, but they've been in a rut for too many seasons now. When we do get a few (relatively) higher end players, and they have to make a decision about whether to leave early or come back to play for the Lakers for another season (or two), there isn't much incentive to come back and play in the hopes or expectations of maybe challenging for a league title and possible NCAA tourney appearance the following season because Roque doesn't seem to be able to get them over the hump into the upper echelons of the league, not just occasionally, but at all. Now I admit that I could be wrong, but I just don't have the feeling that the level of confidence in and respect for their coach that the players should have is where it needs to be to have a successful team, not just for the guys with pro potential but for the team as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Jim Roque doesn't have the confidence and respect of his players that should be there. The team has been annoyingly inconsistent in recent seasons. Unfortunately the most consistent aspect of their performance is that they tend to go in late season slumps, which is the opposite of what you would want. The bottom line results aren't getting better. It's getting to be "same old same old" every season. Roque doesn't seem to be able to get them over the hump into the upper echelons of the league, not just occasionally, but at all.
                                The Truth Is Out There.....
                                TBA
                                TBA

Comment

Working...
                                X