PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pirate
11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
They would compete in the uniform of your most hated rival against your alma mater...ok or not ok?

Do you discourage it? Try to steer them away? Say you are ok and pray they choose elsewhere?

Never talk to them again? Don't talk for 4 years?

alfablue
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
theoretically, this could happen to my niece. and I would be totally ok with it. mostly because my alma mater does not have womens hockey.

FlagDUDE08
11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
They would compete in the uniform of your most hated rival against your alma mater...ok or not ok?

Do you discourage it? Try to steer them away? Say you are ok and pray they choose elsewhere?

Never talk to them again? Don't talk for 4 years?

Or you could just support him/her. If they want to play there, be proud they have a chance to play, especially if they are receiving a first-class education via scholarship. They wouldn't have gone that far if it weren't for you; the least you can do is support the child's play, even if you don't wish to root for the team.

northeastern
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Given the odds ..and how hard it is to get & skate at D1 heck yes..absolutely I would not care.

It's not about me.. its (would be) their time. Take the opportunity, the education, the experience .. everything. :)

UncleRay
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
If I had a kid being recruited to my most hated rival his mother would have some 'splaining to do. Or my doctor. ;)

JohnsonsJerseys
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Tell your kid that you fully support them playing for the arch rival program.
Better yet, go one step further and them that is what you want them to do.
Your son / daughter will instantly lose all interest in said program because...
"It's what Mom and Dad want me to do..."
:D
Ryan J

Slap Shot
11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't have to worry because neither of my sons would ever sell their soul.

RaceBoarder
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I would have no problem with it...

However, there would be no holds barred when it came to taunting and sh*t talking :p

They are adults at that point and need to learn to deal with it....

sterlippo1
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Given the odds ..and how hard it is to get & skate at D1 heck yes..absolutely I would not care.

It's not about me.. its (would be) their time. Take the opportunity, the education, the experience .. everything. :)

even if she were to become a Terrier?:eek::confused:;)

TonyTheTiger20
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
This is a legitimately difficult question. My wife semi-jokingly asks me this all the time.

I'd be able to deal with it. I think. But I'd prefer not to think about it unless I had to.

mookie1995
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
sure. i would hope he scored a hattie and lost 4-3.

TimP
11-07-2012, 09:22 PM
He or she better get a full ride because I wouldn't be paying for it.

Carmine Scarpaglia
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
There are some variables at play here.

But in short, I'd let my son play for BU as long as Jack Parker was gone and the next coach isn't a complete buffoon like Jack Parker.

Then you do what mookie says and root for the kid at all times and hope the kid does well but your alma mater still wins when the two match up. At this rate of BC winning 3 titles every 5 years, I'm ok with that and would hope my kid could swipe one of the titles in the other 2 years (which BU did in fact did in 2009 :D).

state of hockey
11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Probably.

FadeToBlack&Gold
11-07-2012, 09:47 PM
My dad, a U of M grad, encouraged me to make my own choice with regards to where I wanted to attend college. U of M was on the final short list, but obviously I didn't go there. So I feel that I'd owe any future hockey-playing kids who made it that far the same respect. If Northern or LSSU recruited my son, and he decided to play there, I'd support him (but only him).

sure. i would hope he scored a hattie and lost 4-3.

I like this attitude! ;)

Hockeybuckeye
11-07-2012, 10:01 PM
My daughter was a prospect for Michigan in her sport. It was about her, not me although one of the coach's kiddingly challenged me to wear their colors here in Columbus.

TonyTheTiger20
11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
He or she better get a full ride because I wouldn't be paying for it.Haha I'm a fan of this one.

burd
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Theoretically, if my hockey playing daughter was recruited and chose to play hockey for UMinn, I would do the right thing and find a good qualified couple to adopt her. Fortunately, I raised her right and can say that if I accepted an opportunity to coach hockey at UMinn she would find a good qualified couple to adopt her.

DaveStPaul
11-08-2012, 12:13 AM
No effing way, man! :p

MavHockey14
11-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Philip Nelson, QB of the Gophers, did just this.(sort of, not sure about most hates rival..) his father played at Wisconsin, Philip chose MN. You learn to support and cheer on the school that suits your child best.