PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

jcarter7669
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
No way, there is entirely too much crack/cocaine in the Lowell area.

IrishHockeyFan
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I let my daughter join the Air Force so I suppose I could've gotten on board with her if she wanted to go to Michigan (or USC). :D

icehawk
11-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Some very admirable parents. Can we at least agree that the degree of difficulty goes WAY up when it's the Gophers your flesh and blood is considering?I agree.:D

jjmc85
11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Absolutely. If your ties to your college hockey team are more important to you than your ties to your child, you don't deserve to have children.

I would buy season tickets for my child's team and wear their jersey.

owslachief
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Recruited? No problem. But I would stipulate that they must decommit at the last possible minute or, if it's not in favor of my alma mater, play a couple October games for show and then sign with a Sarnia or a Plymouth.

burd
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Absolutely. If your ties to your college hockey team are more important to you than your ties to your child, you don't deserve to have children.

I would buy season tickets for my child's team and wear their jersey.

I see things differently. It took me four years to achieve alumnus status, but it took only about 37 minutes for me to sire this child. Well . . . maybe 2 minutes. OK, 27 seconds but you get the idea.

Fighting Sioux 23
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
This thread reminds me of this commercial...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0iR05lYy1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Timothy A
11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
This is a legitimately difficult question. My wife semi-jokingly asks me this all the time.
I'd be able to deal with it. I think. But I'd prefer not to think about it unless I had to.

I'd love to see your kids, if they are any good, end up at UW or some western power. Your little eastern biased noggin would implode. Sweet.

I can spout off all I can about how I hate the sue and the rodents and how I'm wanting to nuke those 2 states, but if my kid thought it was best for him to go there, I'd support them. I may not understand it, but I would support it. I wouldn't be caught dead in any of the school's gear or anything, but I'd attend as many games as possible and be very supportive of the lads.

dubbie31
11-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Disowned. No child of mine is going to wear maroon and gold. Ever.

:D cue the peanut gallery in 3.......2........1.......

Just like no child of mine will wear the Black and gold of CC. Black and gold is ok if its the University of Colorado.

HowardMBurgers
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Our 3 year old's nuts are already way too big to ever play (or cheer) for the Gophers so, thankfully, we have no worries.

The Rube
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
If I somehow ended up with a kid or kids, they'd be too smart and good to attend my team's lowly rivals.

SCSU Euro
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
If I somehow ended up with a kid or kids, they'd be too smart and good to attend my team's lowly rivals.

Why would they be better then their father? :D

The Rube
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Why would they be better then their father? :D

They would be better than me, because the woman I end up with will be out of my league, and the sum will be greater than the parts. :D

burd
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
They would be better than me, because the woman I end up with will be out of my league, and the sum will be greater than the parts. :D

I'm guessing you're counting on the Schwanns man.

The Rube
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm guessing you're counting on the Schwanns man.

Whoosh.

(most every woman is outta my league ;) )

pirate
11-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Couple of thoughts, we are all people who follow and post on a college hockey site so I didn't expect a few of the indignant responses. I'm not suggesting people would deny their child's only shot at competing in college. Any kid getting recruited is going to have a few choices, especially at the beginning.

No need to make it a morality issue.

Although some would say it is immoral to let their kid attend the 'other' school!

burd
11-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Couple of thoughts, we are all people who follow and post on a college hockey site so I didn't expect a few of the indignant responses. I'm not suggesting people would deny their child's only shot at competing in college. Any kid getting recruited is going to have a few choices, especially at the beginning.

No need to make it a morality issue.

Although some would say it is immoral to let their kid attend the 'other' school!

Hey, if you're not going to say it, I will. NO GOPHERS!!! Kids want rules. The need to know the TRUTH. At such a young age, they do not understand shame.

And be careful not to assume people are serious if they seem to criticize you. We are a bunch of boneheads. Lovable but boneheaded and, in the case of gopher fans, lost.

Red Cows
11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
It certainly happens.

Former Omaha Northwest standout and KU basketball star Ron Kellogg Jr's son is the current backup quarterback for the Cornhuskers (Ron Kellogg III). He turned down an NU scholarship offer to go KU, too.

KU and NU have no love lost for each other, particularly since the Huskers are 91-23-3 all time (football, obviously) against KU.

Has to have made for some interesting conversations between father and son since the Kellogg the younger is a junior and has been on the NU roster when KU and NU were still conference foes and played one another, once as redshirt and two times as a player.

Slap Shot
11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I love my sons, but if they want to attend UW or UND it will be for bong hits or cow tipping, not education or athletics (never mind real women).

burd
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I love my sons, but if they want to attend UW or UND it will be for bong hits or cow tipping, not education or athletics (never mind real women).

Hey, I let one of my daughters go off to Columbia, one of UND's biggest academic rivals.