Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

Everyone is approaching this the wrong way. The gameplan would obviously be to go to UND, but the alternate gameplan would be for my son to go to DU as a goalie. In games against anyone besides UND, he would be the All-American, first round draft pick, certain superstar. However, he would "uncharacteristically" () have just awful games against North Dakota. Basically, he would be the DU version of Mike Lee.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Some may be surprised to hear this, but absolutely.

If he were good enough to get that opportunity, I'd even become a fan of his team for 4 years.

Blood = thicker. I'd rather watch him play hockey than either of the teams I follow (Badgers & Blackhawks).

Due diligence would require me to make sure he understands all of the ramifications of a decision like that, being a home town kid. Probably put him in touch with Philip to gain some perspective, see if there are any regrets.

Ultimately, it's his ride though, not mine.

I find it hard to believe at this point that he'd choose that though. If they came calling, there would be other offers to choose (including the Badgers) from and he might choose somewhere else.

I certainly wouldn't force him to the Badgers. I'd like him to go away to school. Experience a different city or part of the country.

Comment

Disowned. No child of mine is going to wear maroon and gold. Ever.

cue the peanut gallery in 3.......2........1.......
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Well it's a silly exercise because:
          a. He has my genes and therefore will never be athletic enough to be considered for DI and
          b. I raised him better than that - he'd never want to be a Stinkin BADger.

Our whole family loves the Casey Hankinson story. He was talking to Woog about the Gophers but had no offer and Sauer was recruiting him for Sconny. Casey's dad, John, was a Gopher QB back when they still contended for Rose Bowl berths, his mom, Bonnie, was a Gopher cheerleader, older brothers Ben and Peter played hockey for the Gophs. Casey was still just 17 at the time and he took the LOI for Sconny to mom to get it signed since he wasn't yet 18. She said no son of hers would be a stinkin BADger! (Of course they had enough money that he could have walked on to UMN - that may be what Woog was thinking and he'd save the scholly).

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I certainly wouldn't force him to the Badgers. I'd like him to go away to school. Experience a different city or part of the country.
            I felt the same way, and my three daughters went away to New York, Atlanta, and New Orleans for college. Getting them to a different environment was good, but I sure envy parents whose kids stay close so they can see them more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              Disowned. No child of mine is going to wear maroon and gold. Ever.

cue the peanut gallery in 3.......2........1.......
              I'll pipe up for the rest of the gallery - how will you ever have a kid? Doesn't that require that some particular action take place between you and a fertile female? That seems even less likely than a child of mine having enough athletic talent to make DI.

Wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                They would compete in the uniform of your most hated rival against your alma mater...ok or not ok?
                It's their life, I love them and support them and help them think things through on their own to make the best decision that is right for them.

I'm not Dena Lohan, for chrissake! too many parents try to live their own life vicariously through their children's achievements. that's perverted. It makes for one screwed up child.

I mean, sports is just sports, it's not life.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  It's their life, I love them and support them and help them think things through on their own to make the best decision that is right for them.

I'm not Dena Lohan, for chrissake! too many parents try to live their own life vicariously through their children's achievements. that's perverted. It makes for one screwed up child.

I mean, sports is just sports, it's not life.
                  Well said. My daughter had a chance to go to a half dozen D1 schools next year. Anyone of them would of been fine. But she choose to go to Concordia for her education and hockey because she loved the school and coach. With girls it's a little different obviously since once their college career is done so is their hockey career unless of course one is good enough to be an Olympian.
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

So let me get this straight. Someone wants to give your family something worth 100K, maybe 200K, and you're not even going to listen to the sales pitch? Yeah, right.

If the son/daughter is lucky enough to have multiple offers, then maybe I do a little lobbying against the rival's package. Should the rival's offer be accepted, maybe I never get around to wearing the rival's gear. But we're definitely going through the recruiting process. And in the end, what's best for the child outweighs all of the other factors. By a lot.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Some very admirable parents. Can we at least agree that the degree of difficulty goes WAY up when it's the Gophers your flesh and blood is considering?

Comment

No way, there is entirely too much crack/cocaine in the Lowell area.
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Re: Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your mosted hated rival?

I let my daughter join the Air Force so I suppose I could've gotten on board with her if she wanted to go to Michigan (or USC).

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Some very admirable parents. Can we at least agree that the degree of difficulty goes WAY up when it's the Gophers your flesh and blood is considering?
                            I agree.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Absolutely. If your ties to your college hockey team are more important to you than your ties to your child, you don't deserve to have children.

I would buy season tickets for my child's team and wear their jersey.
                              #NewMass

Comment

Recruited? No problem. But I would stipulate that they must decommit at the last possible minute or, if it's not in favor of my alma mater, play a couple October games for show and then sign with a Sarnia or a Plymouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X