Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your most hated rival?

My daughter was a prospect for Michigan in her sport. It was about her, not me although one of the coach's kiddingly challenged me to wear their colors here in Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
      He or she better get a full ride because I wouldn't be paying for it.
      Haha I'm a fan of this one.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Theoretically, if my hockey playing daughter was recruited and chose to play hockey for UMinn, I would do the right thing and find a good qualified couple to adopt her. Fortunately, I raised her right and can say that if I accepted an opportunity to coach hockey at UMinn she would find a good qualified couple to adopt her.

Comment

No effing way, man!
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Philip Nelson, QB of the Gophers, did just this.(sort of, not sure about most hates rival..) his father played at Wisconsin, Philip chose MN. You learn to support and cheer on the school that suits your child best.
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

As long as I didnt have to pay for his College I wouldn't care.
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

There so many variables that go into making a decision about what school to go to, but I would work with my child to ensure they were making an informed decision and support them 100%. To actually have choice(s) to play at this level is a great accomplishment in and of itself, so how could any decent parent not? Have to consider:

* academics - does the school have the field of studythey want to pursue?
                * opportunity to compete for spot & play - how many players of his/her position do they already have? What year are? What kind of playing time they been getting? I will note that my son a goalie so this point even more important.
                * Type of campus - bigger vs. smaller, urban vs. suburban, private vs. public
                * coach - which one seems to relate better with your child? style of play? on the hot seat (potential of being fired)?
                * the parents "legacy" - I don't have one, but if a parent had played the same sport there perhaps the child wants to make thier own legacy, not have to deal with the pressure of living up to their parent's (good or bad).
                * amount of aid offered.
                * your relationship with your child - some may do it out of spite.

These some I know that were discussed when my son made his decision.
                Last edited by fangers; 11-08-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Re: Would you allow your son/daughter to be recruited to your mosted hated rival?

FWIW, Josh Jooris, the son of Mark Jooris ('86) who played wing for Adam Oates on RPI's 1985 NCAA championship team, now plays for Union. Although RPI played Union while Mark was at RPI, Union was still D-III, so they couldn't be called RPI's "mosted hated rival" at the time.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                    You hit it right on the head! Couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

I would mock them for not being good enough to play for my alma mater. And they'd have to get a full scholarship, because my money is not going to that school. Though I'd offer to pay for grad school at a real college afterwards if they'd want that.

Truthfully, sure, you cheer for the kid, and still against the team when they play your favorite team. Support whatever opportunity will be best for the kid.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Since PC's only admitted rival is in the Ivy League, hell yes, I wouldn't have a problem.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

bu, happily, had dropped baseball, so I felt quite certain that my son would see the wisdom of not trying to pay for college himself. I happily paid my son's tuition/board to Northeastern where he had a terrific all around experience. He got to keep all of the $ he made on Coop and has never needed another penny of support from his family

Had he gone to bu, I suppose I would have continued to breathe, but would have been harder to trust his judgement.

Comment

I wouldn't mind if either/both of my boys attended North Dakota, especially on scholarship, but I'd question what happened to their integrity after playing hockey there. Hopefully it would remain intact.

Comment

Id have serious questions about what the hell happened when I was raising them...

I could never let my kid go to CC or UND, I'd feel as if I had raised them wrong! Thankfully I don't have kids yet!
                              Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

If I had a child that went to Minnesota or North Dakota, I would acquiesce. Assuming it was on his way to the NHL, I would simply request that he pay for Badger season tickets with his NHL money.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X