PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Hockey Expansion?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jdmaxim23
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Reading the article of the interview with the Atlantic Hockey league commissioner, he states that they are looking at expansion, with 4 teams in talks. I am curious if anyone has any idea or speculation on who those could be?

Nick Papagiorgio
11-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Atlantic Hockey would be a great fit for Uconn after they lose their first 88 Hockey East games and everyone figures out it wasn't a good idea.

J.D.
11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Atlantic Hockey would be a great fit for Uconn after they lose their first 88 Hockey East games and everyone figures out it wasn't a good idea.

Could they take Notre Dame with them???

;)

UncleRay
11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I heard the four were Huntsville, Bowling Green, Syracuse, and Iowa. Reliable source, close to the league.

FlagDUDE08
11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I heard the four were Huntsville, Bowling Green, Syracuse, and Iowa. Reliable source, close to the league.

Syracuse is not getting a team any time soon. They had to take out a bunch of sports and add women's ice hockey just to get to Title IX status!

Ralph Baer
11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Syracuse is not getting a team any time soon. They had to take out a bunch of sports and add women's ice hockey just to get to Title IX status!

I'll start a rumor. It's the 4 ECAC Liberty League teams who will be looking for a home when the Ivies leave. :eek:

FlagDUDE08
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I'll start a rumor. It's the 4 ECAC Liberty League teams who will be looking for a home when the Ivies leave. :eek:

And you expect Colgate and Q-Pac to fold?

Ralph Baer
11-06-2012, 01:53 PM
And you expect Colgate and Q-Pac to fold?

Join the Big-10? ;)

FlagDUDE08
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Join the Big-10? ;)

Or perhaps the BHHC needs some cupcakes? ;)

davyd83
11-06-2012, 02:09 PM
I heard the four were Huntsville, Bowling Green, Syracuse, and Iowa. Reliable source, close to the league.Iowa wouldn't be able to join. They are a Big Ten school. They can't play the sport that the Big Ten sponsors in a different conference.

lmg6841
11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
rumor rumor rumor.... Navy? Would make sense.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
If this were a serious thing, I'd put my money on UAH and maybe a handful of the D-II schools currently playing D-III schedules.

Otherwise, I'd guess Wossamotta U.

Fighting Sioux 23
11-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Iowa wouldn't be able to join. They are a Big Ten school. They can't play the sport that the Big Ten sponsors in a different conference.

Well, he could have meant Iowa State. Or it could be another UncleRay ploy. :p:D:D

UncleRay
11-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, my source said Iowa, but she must have meant Iowa State. Sorry for the confusion.

Ursula
11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Syracuse is not getting a team any time soon. They had to take out a bunch of sports and add women's ice hockey just to get to Title IX status!Who says a possible SU mens team has to use scholarships? They could do something similar to what UConn did.

Ralph Baer
11-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Who says a possible SU mens team has to use scholarships? They could do something similar to what UConn did.

Doesn't Title IX cover both opportunity to play and opportunity to get a scholarship?

AFHockeyFan
11-07-2012, 12:54 PM
UAH seems like the most likely candidate to keep it at 12. Navy is a reasonable guess. URI has been thrown around (although it's hard to believe that Rhode Island could support three D-1 programs). Would be nice to see another western team in the conference, but I don't know if anyone is serious about starting a D-1 program west of the Mississippi. Smaller schools in hockey hotbeds (MA, NY, MI, MN) seem like reasonable guesses, but why would anyone go see Wayne State when Ann Arbor is right there. I think a school would have a better shot if they were the only game in town. Someone like UMKC could duplicate UNO's success in a major metropolitan area with no NHL presence.

lmg6841
11-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Maybe it's time AF finds a western conference.. *coughcough*

UAH seems like the most likely candidate to keep it at 12. Navy is a reasonable guess. URI has been thrown around (although it's hard to believe that Rhode Island could support three D-1 programs). Would be nice to see another western team in the conference, but I don't know if anyone is serious about starting a D-1 program west of the Mississippi. Smaller schools in hockey hotbeds (MA, NY, MI, MN) seem like reasonable guesses, but why would anyone go see Wayne State when Ann Arbor is right there. I think a school would have a better shot if they were the only game in town. Someone like UMKC could duplicate UNO's success in a major metropolitan area with no NHL presence.

AFHockeyFan
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't mind if AF was in the new WCHA. Probably happen right after RIT joins the EZAC.

lmg6841
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm still bitter that Uconn (pretty much) screwed us out of an ECAC spot.

I wouldn't mind if AF was in the new WCHA. Probably happen right after RIT joins the EZAC.