Atlantic Hockey Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey Expansion?

I don't think Air Force will ever join the NCHC. Way too competitive of a league, AF has a small rink with no room for expansion, no Canadians, etc., etc. Look at what DU and CC did already this year. A 3-27-2 hockey team won't sell many tickets (AF sells out its season tickets and most home games now) I think a better question is if AF would ever join the watered-down WCHA. Again, I think this is a long shot. Travel really isn't an issue when you have a fleet of C-17s standing by to take you anywhere in the country, the players actually prefer to be away from the zoo, so long trip aren't an issue, and the competitive balance in the AHA is much more to our liking. Playing CC and DU twice a year instead of once is one thing (fills up an extra NC weekend with a close game) but playing that level of competition 30 times is a non-starter. Depending on what happens to Bemidji, Mankato, etc. when the NCHC schools split, the WCHA might be a possibility, but not anytime soon.

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
    I'm not AFHockeyFan, but I would guess that Air Force is not keen on leaving a conference that has their fellow service academy, Army. That becomes even more true if/when Navy joins.
    Good point. Having a Commander-in-Chief's trophy for service academy hockey would be interesting. I hope Navy is really as close as the league seems to think.
    Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM.
    2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
    2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
    Air Force Falcons
    2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
    2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
    2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
    2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
    2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

St Anselms Sullivan Arena. (right next to dining hall which is fantastic)

http://www.saintanselmhawks.com/info...Sullivan_Arena

Comment

Would any of the mentioned candidates generate anywhere near the same amount of buzz that Navy would, if they were the selected addition? I love St. A's as a school. URI adds Big StateU back into the mix. UAH doesn't really excite me.

Navy, on the other hand, adds so much potential. All three service academies (sorry USCGA) and the media buzz that Army-Navy would generate, true Atlantic Seaboard presence, and adding to a growing academic angle for the conference..... none of the other candidates even come close to this IMHO.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
          Would any of the mentioned candidates generate anywhere near the same amount of buzz that Navy would, if they were the selected addition? I love St. A's as a school. URI adds Big StateU back into the mix. UAH doesn't really excite me.

Navy, on the other hand, adds so much potential. All three service academies (sorry USCGA) and the media buzz that Army-Navy would generate, true Atlantic Seaboard presence, and adding to a growing academic angle for the conference..... none of the other candidates even come close to this IMHO.
          UAH isn't that bad--you can golf there in January. I wouldn't mind having them back in the league, although it would upset the East-West balance (RIT to the East?) But, you're right. Navy would be a huge get. Look at all the buzz around Penn St. when they added a program.
          2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
          2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
          Air Force Falcons
          2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
          2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
          2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
          2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
          2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

UAH doesn't really excite me.
            I agree. I have no idea why the AHA would consider bringing on UAH. They add nothing in my opinion except more travel expense to a "cost containment" conference.
            My Four Favorite teams:
            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
              I agree. I have no idea why the AHA would consider bringing on UAH. They add nothing in my opinion except more travel expense to a "cost containment" conference.
              I think mentioning UAH is just a politically correct way of doing things. They're not going to to go the AHA. If anything, they will go to the WCHA and help split it into two divisions.
              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I suspect that it was not AHA that initiated the idea. And I also suspect the reason UAH is on the short list isn't AHA's need, but UAH's.

At the very least, it's another committed and respectable program in the mix, so it's not a terrible idea from the AHA perspective. Neither is it, however, an ideal arrangement, for either party.
                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  I think mentioning UAH is just a politically correct way of doing things. They're not going to to go the AHA. If anything, they will go to the WCHA and help split it into two divisions.
                  I can see maybe the PC thing, and I guess mentioning UAH isn't a bad thing, but I still content it was useless. As for going to the nWCHA...maybe, maybe not. It certianly is taking nWCHA long enough to make a decision on it.

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                  I suspect that it was not AHA that initiated the idea. And I also suspect the reason UAH is on the short list isn't AHA's need, but UAH's.

At the very least, it's another committed and respectable program in the mix, so it's not a terrible idea from the AHA perspective. Neither is it, however, an ideal arrangement, for either party.
                  I agree that it was probably UAH grudgingly coming to the AHA and inquring. A backup plan for them not getting into the nWCHA.

I still have lingering doubts that UAH is committed. They are what 2 years removed from esentially closing down their program and for all purposes it's still on lifesupport.

And again, it does nothing for the AHA but increase costs. With the likes of some of the eastern members in the AHA, I don't feel that respect is all that important to them.
                  My Four Favorite teams:
                  RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                  Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

USCHO Forum Poll

Comment

What about dipping into D3 for the next AHA instead of D2 or club? St. A's does have a nice rink, but also have limited appeal and are not much of an established program. I find it hard to believe if St. A's was added they would be able to compete any better then some of the bottom teams in the league already. What about a program like Oswego or Norwich or maybe even Utica? Much more established programs that kids would actually recognize and want to go play for. Neumann U wouldn't be bad either with their campus recent commitment to building new athletic facilities and Philly being only 15 minutes down the highway from their campus. The addition of Penn State's program would be a motivating factor for the AHA to court Neumann to do D1 as well since they and Robert Morris are the only D1 programs in the state?

Comment

Originally posted by neumanniaknights09 View Post
                        What about dipping into D3 for the next AHA instead of D2 or club? St. A's does have a nice rink, but also have limited appeal and are not much of an established program. I find it hard to believe if St. A's was added they would be able to compete any better then some of the bottom teams in the league already. What about a program like Oswego or Norwich or maybe even Utica? Much more established programs that kids would actually recognize and want to go play for. Neumann U wouldn't be bad either with their campus recent commitment to building new athletic facilities and Philly being only 15 minutes down the highway from their campus. The addition of Penn State's program would be a motivating factor for the AHA to court Neumann to do D1 as well since they and Robert Morris are the only D1 programs in the state?
                        It would be VERY difficult for them to compete, since as members of D-III, they are not permitted to offer scholarships for their D-I sports.

In fact, I can't remember if they are even allowed to elevate individual sports to D-I anymore......?

Comment

Pretty sure Mercyhurst is from PA as well.

The addition of Penn State's program would be a motivating factor for the AHA to court Neumann to do D1 as well since they and Robert Morris are the only D1 programs in the state?
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

It would be VERY difficult for them to compete, since as members of D-III, they are not permitted to offer scholarships for their D-I sports.

In fact, I can't remember if they are even allowed to elevate individual sports to D-I anymore......?
                              I don't think they are. RIT petitioned to get the woman's hockey team to go DI on merits of Title IX.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I agree that it was probably UAH grudgingly coming to the AHA and inquring. A backup plan for them not getting into the nWCHA.

I still have lingering doubts that UAH is committed. They are what 2 years removed from esentially closing down their program and for all purposes it's still on lifesupport.

And again, it does nothing for the AHA but increase costs. With the likes of some of the eastern members in the AHA, I don't feel that respect is all that important to them.
                                I think you'll find that it was far from a majority desire in the administration, much less a unanimous one, to put the UAH hockey program on (off?) ice.

But, in general, I think for associational memberships like these, you at least have the courtesy obligation to hear the pitch.

I would think the assumption would be that if St. Anselm was to make the jump, it would be *as a result* of deciding to make a larger commitment. The NESCAC pulling out of the interlock was a major blow to the quality of play coming to St. A's, and I think they're coming to the conclusion that being virtually D-III in everything but name in ice hockey is not a plan for the program's future. Of any of the "DII-DIIIs", they're the ones most likely to make something of it.

As for other D-IIIs making the jump, the NCAA is sort of tightening the boundaries between divisions at the moment, and has emplaced a series of moratoriums and restrictions on movement. It will be difficult for teams to make such a jump, as they'll have to petition (St. A's won't, because they are entitled as a D-II classified team in a sport without a D-II championship to play up), and none of them will be able to give scholarships. The school themselves would have to make the call whether they wanted to reclassify.
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X