Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denver at Minnesota State 11/9 and 11/10

Originally posted by MAVSFAN4EVER View Post
    I'll be very excited if Minn St. gets 4 points this weekend........just being honest.
    Minnesota State was swept 14 days ago by SCSU.

The last time DU was swept in a weekend series was Oct. 16 2010 against Boston College.

The last time DU was swept in a WCHA series was Nov. 15 2008.

I think we can all agree that Minnesota State is no Boston College.

DU's almost four-year streak of not being swept must be approaching an all-time WCHA record.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 11-08-2012, 06:48 AM.

Comment

While DU is certainly the superior team of the two, Mankato is not a town that DU plays all that well in. I think this series has split written all over it, but I could see Mankato taking 3 points in a pair of quirky games.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Minnesota State was swept 14 days ago by SCSU.

The last time DU was swept in a weekend series was Oct. 16 2010 against Boston College.

The last time DU was swept in a WCHA series was Nov. 15 2008.

I think we can all agree that Minnesota State is no Boston College.

DU's almost four-year streak of not being swept must be approaching an all-time WCHA record.
        I don't think that MAVSFAN4EVER said that we were going to sweep.

He simply said that he would be very excited if MSU swept

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
          I don't think that MAVSFAN4EVER said that we were going to sweep.

He simply said that he would be very excited if MSU swept
          Thanks to me, he won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Comment

I think this will be an interesting series. Both teams should have swept the previous weekend, but did not. In the case of the Mavericks, it was dumb penalties that hurt them, and with the Pioneers, they played a team on Friday that was pumped up to win and played on their heels for 50 minutes. Both teams recovered, and both teams have something to prove.

DU can score, so Minnesota State needs to do their best to stay out of the box, dump the puck out of the zone, and forecheck. DU needs good goaltending and a defensive corps to keep the puck out of the net Friday night.

I think DU will take four points, but Minnesota State will keep their heads up after the weekend, still playing well.

Comment

DU is unbeaten in the series since 2007-08, going 12-0-2 in the last 14 meetings, including five-straight wins.

Comment

DU has 24 players on the roster. Zack Hope in the 4th goalie and is staying home as is forward Larkin Jacobson who is suspended. So DU will have the normal 22 players in the traveling party, including Murray.

DU rolls 7 D-men which means they need one less forward.
                Is Jacobson a slow learner? He just got off suspension. He played Friday, but not Saturday against St Cloud.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

DU is unbeaten in the series since 2007-08, going 12-0-2 in the last 14 meetings, including five-straight wins.
                  I still get nervous playing Mankato. I still remember the whacked out games from 2003-2005...still haunts me to this day...
                  Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                  www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                    I still get nervous playing Mankato.
                    I am glad I am not the only person to still call them Mankato. I was being PC typing "Minnesota State" but I was thinking/saying Mankato.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                      I am glad I am not the only person to still call them Mankato. I was being PC typing "Minnesota State" but I was thinking/saying Mankato.
                      Just easier saying Mankato!
                      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

A lot of my Gopher friends expected 4 points last week as well. Most were grateful they got two after the way the games played out. It's tough to expect a sweep in this league, and I'm not saying we can consistently play with the top teams in the league yet. Minn St. is a very young and talented team, and Mike Hastings will build a competive program. The Mavs will have their rough nights, but they are also going to put some nice nights together. My opinions won't change based of historical statistics from a different era of Maverick hockey.

Go State!!!

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                          Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                          Just easier saying Mankato!
                          I don't think anybody has any problem with calling us just Mankato. The problem is people insisting on Mankato State, which hasn't been the name of the school since 1998. Since it's Minnesota State University, Mankato, using just the Mankato as a shortcut in conversation is fine.
                          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                            I don't think anybody has any problem with calling us just Mankato. The problem is people insisting on Mankato State, which hasn't been the name of the school since 1998. Since it's Minnesota State University, Mankato, using just the Mankato as a shortcut in conversation is fine.
                            I agree, most Minn St. fans have no problem being referred to as "Mankato". Especially the older Mankato St. alum, like myself.

Comment

A lot of my Gopher friends expected 4 points last week as well. Most were grateful they got two after the way the games played out. It's tough to expect a sweep in this league, and I'm not saying we can consistently play with the top teams in the league yet. Minn St. is a very young and talented team, and Mike Hastings will build a competive program. The Mavs will have their rough nights, but they are also going to put some nice nights together. My opinions won't change based of historical statistics from a different era of Maverick hockey.

Go State!!!
                              I disagree. I think we can consistently play with top teams. I just don't think it's realistic I expect 3-4 point weekends against top teams.

I see a split. But a sweep either way also wouldn't surprise me.
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I agree, most Minn St. fans have no problem being referred to as "Mankato". Especially the older Mankato St. alum, like myself.
                                I'm glad we've cleared that up!

RIP Butch

sigpic
                                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                                X