X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver-The Real XXXIV

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Announcement of Dakota Mermis signing on London Knights' site. One of his teammates from Green Bay last year, Alex Broadhurst, is on the team. FYI, the addition of Dakota places 9 d-men on London's roster. They must have promised him the world as they are already the first place team in the OHL. If they make him one of their top 6 d-men, he will be taking someone else's job on the team. That player probably won't be too happy.

http://www.londonknights.com/article...o-ohl-contract

Last two d-men to leave DU for the CHL have had mixed success. William Wrenn went to Portland and captained the team. He is property of the San Jose Sharks and is playing his first pro year in Alaska in the ECHL. Was one of the first cuts in San Jose's AHL camp. Keith Seabrook left DU for Calgary of the WHL. He bounced around the AHL being traded several times by his NHL teams. He was not under contract this year and began the season in Italy. He is no longer with the team.
    1. If Dakota didn't think he got enough PP time with 7 D-men, why would he think he will get more with 9 D-men?
    2. Throw TJ Fast into the D-men who left early and his career follows the same route. Went to TriCity did well and bounced ECHL and AHL and is not on any roster this year.
    3. For a freshman he was doing pretty well. Seemed like he got plenty of ice time. Did he outperform Makowski or LaLeggia on offense? No. Mayfield, Didier, or Phillips as a shutdown D-Man? No. Is he better than the other freshman, Zajac? Why not compete and find out?
    4. Personally, I am offended by someone leaving mid-season. It seems to be a very selfish move--grades, behavior not meeting the standard, get it together or suffer the consequences , player is accountable--not enough ice time, work harder, player is accountable. I don't care whether you're a Pioneer, gopher, maverick, eagle, terrier, husky, etc.
    5. CHL raids mid-season show no class at all. If the "family advisor" is the one initiating the contact, shame on you for encouraging the loss of a good education.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      1. If Dakota didn't think he got enough PP time with 7 D-men, why would he think he will get more with 9 D-men?
      2. Throw TJ Fast into the D-men who left early and his career follows the same route. Went to TriCity did well and bounced ECHL and AHL and is not on any roster this year.
      3. For a freshman he was doing pretty well. Seemed like he got plenty of ice time. Did he outperform Makowski or LaLeggia on offense? No. Mayfield, Didier, or Phillips as a shutdown D-Man? No. Is he better than the other freshman, Zajac? Why not compete and find out?
      4. Personally, I am offended by someone leaving mid-season. It seems to be a very selfish move--grades, behavior not meeting the standard, get it together or suffer the consequences , player is accountable--not enough ice time, work harder, player is accountable. I don't care whether you're a Pioneer, gopher, maverick, eagle, terrier, husky, etc.
      5. CHL raids mid-season show no class at all. If the "family advisor" is the one initiating the contact, shame on you for encouraging the loss of a good education.
      1.) Because London promised him they would put him on the PP unit

2.) Dakota is probably better than TJ Fast, but probably faces longer odds of making an NHL roster. In TJ's defense he was a 2nd Round pick. Think LA would like to have that pick over again?

3.) Mermis wants to play in the NHL, this was the best decision for him to reach that goal

4). This is a new era. Coaches don't meet the needs of the player, the player bolts. Who's left holding the bag? The coaches.

5). CHL teams like London average 7,000 fans per game. They don't have any overhead like supporting a math department or proping up the Volleyball team. Who makes more money if the CHL team wins? The owners of the team. Who makes more money if a college team wins? Nobody.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Agreed on all points, Vizoroo.

DG: I don't think that coaches should toss out power play time like candy to kids. The goal of DU hockey is to win games. To win games, you put your best people on the power play. Why should a coach have to sit like 3 people who are more deserving (better players, who have actually stuck with the program) in order to keep some kid around. You get on the power play, when putting you on the power play will help the team win.

Good preview below, DU78. It is definitely a huge weekend for DU, and hopefully they will play like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

DG: I don't think that coaches should toss out power play time like candy to kids. The goal of DU hockey is to win games. To win games, you put your best people on the power play. Why should a coach have to sit like 3 people who are more deserving (better players, who have actually stuck with the program) in order to keep some kid around. You get on the power play, when putting you on the power play will help the team win.
          DU is 20% on the PP this season.

During the losing streak DU was at 12%.

DU PP during losing streak

Yale 0-5
          UNH 0-5
          Sconnie 0-3
          Sconnie 1-5
          UND 1-5
          UND 2-7
          BSU 1-5
          BSU 0-6
          You have a situation where the power play was faltering and a player who was frustrated about not improving or showcasing his ability. On one hand you have a program that's selling itself to recruits as a pathway to the NHL and on the otherhand you aren't developing his power play opportunities. Seems to me DU is going to lose a lot more players to major juniors if the coaches can't come up with a solution.
          Last edited by dggoddard; 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            DU is 20% on the PP this season.

During the losing streak DU was at 12%.

You have a situation where the power play was faltering and a player who was frustrated about not improving or showcasing his ability. On one hand you have a program that's selling itself to recruits as a pathway to the NHL and on the otherhand you aren't developing his power play opportunities. Seems to me that you are going to lose a lot of players to major juniors if the coaches can't come up with a solution.
            I hear you--but how can someone be legitimately frustrated about being behind on the depth chart to much better players, 3 months into his college career??? There's something very wrong with that lack of patience, in my opinion, and it indicates that the player had no business going to college in the first place.

In terms of solutions--I guess coaches could try harder to filter these kids out in the recruiting process. (Though I think DU has done pretty well, as these kinds of defections aren't all that common at DU.) And hopefully coaches don't have to use power play time as a recruiting tool. It's said below in this thread that scouts are smart. If they are smart, aren't they smart enough to know that a kid isn't a better pro prospect, just because he racks up 5 additional assists to Nick Shore & Knowlton on the PP? You could put ME on the power play, and I might even rack up an assist or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
              I hear you--but how can someone be legitimately frustrated about being behind on the depth chart to much better players, 3 months into his college career??? There's something very wrong with that lack of patience, in my opinion, and it indicates that the player had no business going to college in the first place.

In terms of solutions--I guess coaches could try harder to filter these kids out in the recruiting process. (Though I think DU has done pretty well, as these kinds of defections aren't all that common at DU.) And hopefully coaches don't have to use power play time as a recruiting tool. It's said below in this thread that scouts are smart. If they are smart, aren't they smart enough to know that a kid isn't a better pro prospect, just because he racks up 5 additional assists to Nick Shore & Knowlton on the PP? You could put ME on the power play, and I might even rack up an assist or two.
              The NHL is all they think about, its all they've been taught and their entire self-worth is tied to someday putting on an NHL Jersey and cashing a paycheck.

If DU is recruiting the best players, this is going to come with the territory.

It would appear that the coaching staff is having trouble communicating with the players & parents and if they are communicating with the players and parents; the players aren't understanding the message.

Dakota Mermis would have been an excellent four year player at DU. As a free agent he would of been able to pick his own situation and after a few years in the minors, might have had a small chance at making an NHL Roster.

That message doesn't sound too appealing to folks that have been told on message boards, by scouting services, recruiters and the like that Dakota Mermis was a surefire NHL 1st Round pick ever since he was 15 years old. As it turned out, the problem was that Dakota didn't grow to 6'3 200 lbs.

How many US born defensemen are in the NHL under 6 feet? Guessing probably around 6 or less.
              Last edited by dggoddard; 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Time to start thinking about this coming weekend's series against #12 Cornell. DU currently ranked at #11. In the PWR DU is at #13 and Big Red at #12. This is a huge series for DU as it is the last out of conference series of the season. DU is 3-2-0 in out of conference games so far this season and 2 more wins would put them nicely at 5-2-0. Against teams under consideration for the PWR, DU is already 7-4-1 and pushing that to 9-4-1 with two wins this weekend would help solidify their PWR standings and move them up. I would expect to see Jussi get the start in goal on Friday and if he is successful probably get Saturday's start. With only 6 d-men on the roster now, the boys will be logging lots of ice time. Due to the short roster, DU will probably only dress 11 forwards with Allen injured and J. Mermis in chateaux bow wow.
                Cornell scares the crap out of me. I still haven't gotten over 1986!! I don't suppose Joe Newendyke still plays for them does he???
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  Cornell scares the crap out of me. I still haven't gotten over 1986!! I don't suppose Joe Newendyke still plays for them does he???
                  That is the last time DU played Cornell. All time record between DU and Cornell is 4-4-0. The biggest game was the 1969 NCAA title bout in Colorado Springs against Cornell in which DU beat Ken Dryden 4-3.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

How many US born defensemen are in the NHL under 6 feet? Guessing probably around 6 or less.
                    Not way off. These guys played at least one NHL game last year.

John-Michael Liles
                    Keith Ballard
                    Alex Goligoski
                    Francis Bouillon
                    Andy Greene
                    Kevin Shattenkirk
                    Brett Lebda
                    Matt Hunwick
                    Jack Hillen
                    Nick Leddy
                    Steven Kampfer
                    Matt Taormina
                    Cade Fairchild
                    Torey Krug
                    Aaron Ness
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Not way off. These guys played at least one NHL game last year.

[FRESHMAN STATS]

John-Michael Liles - MSU [8 goals, 20 assists] 4 years of college
                      Keith Ballard - MN [10 goals, 13 assists] 3 years of college
                      Alex Goligoski - MN [5 goals, 15 assists] 3 years of college
                      Francis Bouillon - CHL
                      Andy Greene - MIA(OH) [4 goals, 19 assists] 4 years of college
                      Kevin Shattenkirk - BU [4 goals, 17 assists] 3 years of college
                      Brett Lebda - ND [7 goals, 19 assists] 4 years of college
                      Matt Hunwick - MI [1 goal, 14 assists] 4 years of college
                      Jack Hillen - CC [2 goals, 9 assists] 4 years of college
                      Nick Leddy - MN [3 goals, 8 assists] 1 year of college
                      Steven Kampfer - MI [1 goal, 3 assists] 4 years of college
                      Matt Taormina - Providence [1 goal, 10 assists] 4 years of college
                      Cade Fairchild - MN [2 goals, 13 assists] 4 years of college
                      Torey Krug - MSU [3 goals, 18 assists] 3 years of college
                      Aaron Ness - MN [2 goals, 15 assists] 3 years of college
                      Seems like the common thread is lots of assists and three/four years of college.

Most of those guys listed were fantastic college players, who's development by their Freshman year was way ahead of where D Mermis is today.

Joey Leggs [DU Freshman Stats-11 goals, 27 assists] caused DU's unbalanced recruiting of seven scholie blueliners when he decommitted to UNH and fell into DU's lap at the 11th hour.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 01-03-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

You'll have to help me out with this, but most of those guys listed were fantastic college players. In other words, guys who could be getting major PP minutes at DU.
                        Some I don't really remember seeing, but certainly the players on the list who we saw around the WCHA were considered top 2 or 3 defensemen on their teams at the time. And of the 15 or so on the list probably at least half of them saw no more than a handful of NHL games last year.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/us-st...eer-stats.html
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I say we send Fredo fishing, so he can show us his surefire technique for catching the big ones. "Hail Mary, full of grace. . .BLAM!" I said fishing not fisting. Good riddance. Learn the lesson. Fix the problem (if there is one). The Denver Pioneers do not succeed or fail because of one selfish kid.

Old Pio Annecdote Alert: Years ago in the old 6 team league, with Boston generally in last place, optimistic Bruins fans were saying: "Just wait 'till Bobby Orr comes up." At the time, Bobby was 14!
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

That is the last time DU played Cornell. All time record between DU and Cornell is 4-4-0. The biggest game was the 1969 NCAA title bout in Colorado Springs against Cornell in which DU beat Ken Dryden 4-3.
                            And George Morrison put the GWG in his 5-hole!

70 goals in just two seasons (only 62 games played). Two time WCHA scoring champ. First Pioneer to leave early for the pros. Jimbo said he was our best-ever left wing. I agree.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 01-02-2013, 07:15 PM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              It's not that I don't want him to succeed. I just don't give a sh*t.

Comment

George Morrison was the best I saw at DU.

Comment

Working...
                                X