X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver-The Real XXXIV

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
    I staided in skuul and luuk how dat turnded out...
    By their standards it has probably worked out so far. Getting paid to play hockey is their dream. Being that close to the NHL is a lot closer than most of us get to our dreams. Some of us get lucky and others get to realize our dream wasn't a good choice.
    Perhaps. On the other hand, working for WKRP in Cincinnati isn't exactly a substitute for NY, Chicago or LA.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      TJ Fast left as well. DU has also lost a couple of commitments in Ty Morris (around 10 years ago or so) and recently Connor Honey.
      Keith Seabrook, too. I took that one personal, since I gave myself credit for recruiting him in the first place.
      Edit: oops '78 beat me to it.

Comment

BU just beat UNH 3-2 and DU dropped from 10th to 11th in PWR.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

bump!!
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
            He probably would have been better off getting his name announced while accepting a diploma.

I guess it's a personal choice, but the kids would be wise to realize that leaving college too early hasn't paid off for most who have gone that route. Stay in school, kids!
            You can see how a recruiter would play it though - "You can always go back and get a degree, you only have a limited time to play hockey. Strike while the iron's hot & get the best deal you can."

When you're young with dreams of the NHL in your eyes, it's easy to see why you'd want to skip a page or two. Then you get older & realize after the fact what a mistake it was. It's how we learn.

Comment

So...

Let's talk goalies. Anyone else think that Jussi's earned the #1 slot? Could it be possible that Gwoz won't platoon the goalies this weekend & go with the hot hand?

Comment

UOTE=BooneLives;5569336]You can see how a recruiter would play it though - "You can always go back and get a degree, you only have a limited time to play hockey. Strike while the iron's hot & get the best deal you can."

When you're young with dreams of the NHL in your eyes, it's easy to see why you'd want to skip a page or two. Then you get older & realize after the fact what a mistake it was. It's how we learn.[/QUOTE]

DU was a founder member of a consortium of big city schools (started by DU grad Richard Lapchick at Northeastern) whose purpose it is to make it easier for athletes to complete their degrees when their playing days are over. Low or no cost tuition in return for spreading the word about the value of staying in school. I assume we're still members.

Quoting from Wiki: One year after the Center’s inception, Lapchick wanted to take its mission national and established the National Consortium for Academics and Sports (NCAS). For 25 years, the NCAS has been “creating a better society by focusing on educational attainment and using the power and appeal of sport to positively affect social change.” It is a group of over 230 colleges and universities that created the first of its kind degree completion and community service programs. To date, 29,856 athletes have returned to NCAS member schools. Over 13,700 have graduated. Nationally, the NCAS athletes have worked with more than 18 million students in the school outreach and community service program, which focuses on teaching youth how to improve race relations, develop conflict resolution skills, prevent gender violence and avoid drug and alcohol abuse. They have collectively donated more than 19 million hours of service while member colleges have donated more than $320 million in tuition assistance.

As I say, DU was among a handful of schools which were among the founders of
                the consortium.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BooneLives View Post
                  You can see how a recruiter would play it though - "You can always go back and get a degree, you only have a limited time to play hockey. Strike while the iron's hot & get the best deal you can."

When you're young with dreams of the NHL in your eyes, it's easy to see why you'd want to skip a page or two. Then you get older & realize after the fact what a mistake it was. It's how we learn.
                  Indeed. And for every 5 "bad" decisions, there may be 1 good decision. A lot of us thought that Stastny was not ready for the next level. Clearly, he was. I doubt Rycroft and Pettinger have too many regrets, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                    Indeed. And for every 5 "bad" decisions, there may be 1 good decision. A lot of us thought that Stastny was not ready for the next level. Clearly, he was. I doubt Rycroft and Pettinger have too many regrets, either.
                    Kevin Dineen told the 2005 team that he regretted not getting his degree.

Don't think for a second that just because they have great hockey careers that many future doors will remain closed without the paperwork.

A vast majority of pro athletes are broke with 2-5 years of their last game, no matter how much they make during their careers.

http://www.businesspundit.com/25-ric...ho-went-broke/
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      UOTE=BooneLives;5569336]You can see how a recruiter would play it though - "You can always go back and get a degree, you only have a limited time to play hockey. Strike while the iron's hot & get the best deal you can."

DU was a founder member of a consortium of big city schools (started by DU grad Richard Lapchick at Northeastern) whose purpose it is to make it easier for athletes to complete their degrees when their playing days are over. Low or no cost tuition in return for spreading the word about the value of staying in school. I assume we're still members.

Quoting from Wiki: One year after the Center’s inception, Lapchick wanted to take its mission national and established the National Consortium for Academics and Sports (NCAS). For 25 years, the NCAS has been “creating a better society by focusing on educational attainment and using the power and appeal of sport to positively affect social change.” It is a group of over 230 colleges and universities that created the first of its kind degree completion and community service programs. To date, 29,856 athletes have returned to NCAS member schools. Over 13,700 have graduated. Nationally, the NCAS athletes have worked with more than 18 million students in the school outreach and community service program, which focuses on teaching youth how to improve race relations, develop conflict resolution skills, prevent gender violence and avoid drug and alcohol abuse. They have collectively donated more than 19 million hours of service while member colleges have donated more than $320 million in tuition assistance.

the consortium.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about that program. Thanks for the education.

Be interesting to see how many players who left early actually take advantage of it.

And if I'd actually read a little more careful, I could have answered that question.

Comment

Originally posted by BooneLives View Post

the consortium.
                        I didn't know about that program. Thanks for the education.

Be interesting to see how many players who left early actually take advantage of it.

And if I'd actually read a little more careful, I could have answered that question.[/QUOTE]

The original group was maybe 8 or 10 schools, all in big cities with lots of pro teams. DePaul in Chicago was one. I've always been very proud of our involvement in this program which isn't generally well known but clearly making the world a little bit better place. Nearly 14K degrees conferred, on guys who probably wouldn't have gotten them any other way.

Comment

After skating to a 1-1 tie in North Dakota last night, DU remains in 1st in the WCHA by 2 points over Minnesota. They are currently #12 in PWR, Minny is #11 and UND is #14. Hopefully all of the forwards that were banged up last night can play tonight. At one point in the 2nd period DU was down to 6 forwards on the bench as 4 w ere in the locker room being attended to for injuries. Gwoz gave high props to Q Shore who at one time was out there taking all of the faceoffs. He said Q played his best game as a Pio. Apparently Viva Larraza didn't make the trip due to illness per one of the game wrap-ups.
                          Last edited by du78; 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            After skating to a 1-1 tie in North Dakota last night, DU remains in 1st in the WCHA by 2 points over Minnesota. They are currently #12 in PWR, Minny is #11 and UND is #14. Hopefully all of the forwards that were banged up last night can play tonight. At one point in the 2nd period DU was down to 6 forwards on the bench as 4 w ere in the locker room being attended to for injuries. Gwoz gave high props to Q Shore who at one time was out there taking all of the faceoffs. He said Q played his best game as a Pio. Apparently Viva Larraza didn't make the trip due to illness per one of the game wrap-ups.
                            DU was really gassed last night in the 3rd and OT. And the Sioux were flying. By all rights they should have scored 4 or maybe 5, except for Jussi. That's one of the best games I can ever recall by a DU goalie, particularly under the circumstances. We better be able to get the walking wounded out there tonight. They're gonna come out really wanting to get the "W." It's funny, we'd miss "Viva" no matter the circumstance, but evidently it isn't his knee that kept him home and somehow that feels better.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

It's always fun to watch an out of town broadcast. Those child molesters at the jewelry store in Anchorage are priceless. Last night we were treated to PSAs on locking your car while it warms up, not leaving food on your patio so the mooses can''t get to it and my favorite, how corn cobs are an eco-friendly alternative to TP for use in your outhouse.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                It's always fun to watch an out of town broadcast. Those child molesters at the jewelry store in Anchorage are priceless. Last night we were treated to PSAs on locking your car while it warms up, not leaving food on your patio so the mooses can''t get to it and my favorite, how corn cobs are an eco-friendly alternative to TP for use in your outhouse.
                                Toilet Paper!!!???? Get real...we used the Sears Catalog when I was growing up.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X