Miami @ Michigan 10/26-27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami @ Michigan 10/26-27

After another week of nobody else posting a game thread for UM, I'll do it again.

This is a big CCHA match up against two teams that have been at the top for quite a while now. And has changed into a rivalry, except for one thing- this will be the last time we play a regular season conference game, EVER. Possible that we could meet up in the playoffs, but with Miami and Michigan not as match ups this season, we just get this early weekend this season. With the addition of the B1G, and Miami deciding that what was left wasn't for them (as well as almost abandoning MAC team WMU and actually leaving home state MAC foe BGSU to the dredges)....

Well, we play hockey this weekend for the last regular season match up, ever.

Michigan is still trying to find itself. We are even seeing different things as we watch the games- nothing wrong with that- but it does illustrate that nothing is really firm, yet. #1 concern is goaltending- Rutledge had a bad game agaist RIT, and Racine looks, well- ok. I suspect that we will see Racine on Friday, but could be wrong if Rutledge has a good practice week.

Passing is ever so slowly getting better. But that's pretty normal for this program, so I'm not really scared. I have read that the directive is to KISS, passing wise.

Offense- get a lot of shots, but have not gotten to cycle the puck as much as we have in the past. We will see.

Defense- not doing badly, except for some of the passes. Claire should be back? That should help depth. But Moffie and Bennett have really stepped up their games. IMHO, Trouba is the only real concern- as he's missed some coverage- not for the lack of trying- just flat out missing. He's shown improvement in his D play over the 3 games.

Old guys- Treais is playing well, PDG is playing well, I could go on- but a few guys are just on the verge of really standing out.

New guys- Mostly notice Boo Nieves on O. Copp looks good, Selman looks good, but if Trouba can get his d game going (as i think he's trying to)- he's going to be something really special. Shooting, skating, passing- he's good. Alledgedly, he's super physical, but he needs to speed up his mind a little- missing some big hits, and some 1-1s.

Anyway, here's the thread to talk about this weekends match up at Yost.

Re: Miami @ Michigan 10/26-27

Well, I like our offensive balance. Last game our top three lines all had 2-3-5. Selman, Copp, Hyman were especially good because they actually backchecked, too. The top line of Treais-Moffatt- PDG is dangerous offensively, but has a collective -4 +/-, which I tend to look at more closely. That has to improve. Our discipline was really good last friday, and for the season. That surprised me considering that we had a Szuma/Serville pairing that defended really well. Serville did take the only penalty, but he had too, and sure enough Bentley scored on the delay, then went to the PP. Good to see Guptill get on the board, he had a slow start. Mac Bennett, IMO is probably our best player when he is on the ice.

I think Trouba is learning he can't bull everyone over at this level. He should have known this, playing 20+ games last season with the USDNT. It isn't like they don't play D1 teams. The kid is a pure talent with an edge, but he got stood up a few times last week. Miami won't be any easier.

Goaltending is a work in process. Red said that Rutledge looks lights out in practice. Racine has been ..okay... as you said, giving up at least one softie in his two wins. I hope they both can compete this weekend since Miami's freshmen goalies are leading the NCAA in save% and GAA. It also appears that their freshmen and sophomores are the go-to guys for offense. I don't think we'll have as easy of a time getting to the net or for rebounds with Hartman and Spinell back on the blueline. These will be, as Red says, games played by men, not boys. I hope we come prepared for that, stay patient and play better defense.
    Miami isn't infallible, especially at Yost, but we need to send a message to the better teams in the league early- and take some points before hitting the road for Marquette the next weekend. I'd rather tighten up now instead of trying to push the offense every shift.

Comment

Interesting series for Miami, I’ll be happy with any points we take away. It was fairly obvious our young guys were in way over their heads last spring when they traveled to Ann Arbor, hopefully the current crop of freshman will be a little more composed.

Injury-wise, Hartman missed both games against Providence, and Mullin was a scratch for the Saturday game. Alex Wideman is also out indefinitely with mono. No word on if they are expected to make the trip this weekend.

Biggest concern so far, aside from the 9 freshman out on the ice every night, has to be the power play. There are clearly some growing pains for a unit that had come to rely almost exclusively on Reilly Smith. Miami has more than enough skill to pull it together, but that would seem unlikely to happen by this weekend.

Only making it over for the Friday game, but I’m certainly looking forward to checking out all the Yost renovations.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        Interesting series for Miami, I’ll be happy with any points we take away. It was fairly obvious our young guys were in way over their heads last spring when they traveled to Ann Arbor, hopefully the current crop of freshman will be a little more composed.

Injury-wise, Hartman missed both games against Providence, and Mullin was a scratch for the Saturday game. Alex Wideman is also out indefinitely with mono. No word on if they are expected to make the trip this weekend.

Biggest concern so far, aside from the 9 freshman out on the ice every night, has to be the power play. There are clearly some growing pains for a unit that had come to rely almost exclusively on Reilly Smith. Miami has more than enough skill to pull it together, but that would seem unlikely to happen by this weekend.

Only making it over for the Friday game, but I’m certainly looking forward to checking out all the Yost renovations.
        I was wondering where Hartman was. I knew about Wideman and Mullin. Road games are tough, no matter how good the opponent is.

As far as our PP, "looks" better than last season, but didn't click against Bentley. Anything more than 15% this year will be a bonus. Having Trouba is a real help, he's got a cannon. Merrill would have provided similar threat, not the same shot though, but he is out at least until Thanksgiving.

Oh, forgot to mention Clare was practicing and may play Friday.
        Last edited by streaker; 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

...Only making it over for the Friday game...
          You are probably not the only one. With Michigan football playing at Nebraska Saturday night for the inside track to the B1G title game and with Game 3 of the World Series being played in Comerica Park, I think Yost will be emptier than Value City Arena for Saturday's game.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Old guys- Treais is playing well, PDG is playing well, I could go on- but a few guys are just on the verge of really standing out.

New guys- Mostly notice Boo Nieves on O. Copp looks good, Selman looks good, but if Trouba can get his d game going (as i think he's trying to)- he's going to be something really special. Shooting, skating, passing- he's good. Alledgedly, he's super physical, but he needs to speed up his mind a little- missing some big hits, and some 1-1s.
            A quick follow up to my own note. Not noting players isn't a bad thing- I generally don't pick out players who are playing good defense- it's easy to see ones that make mistakes, and generally easy to pick the ones that are amazing. But "solid" is a good way to look at our in zone play. Good-bad- all averaged out so far.

Alton- should be easy to find parking Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
              I think Yost will be emptier than Value City Arena for Saturday's game.
              This may play out well for me. My brother (who goes to MSU) and parents will be around Ann Arbor this weekend and told me I should come visit, it seems fate is telling me I should see my first Miami away game.

Comment

I have got to say i'm kinda ****ed that this is the last regular season meeting, or scheduled meeting for that matter, against UM. i have thoroughly enjoyed watching the MU-UM series turn into, what I would consider, a pretty fair rivalry over the last few years. At the very least, it is a great benchmark to determine where each of the teams is at the time.

Looking forward to a great series. As good as Miami's D and goaltending has looked thus far (5 goals in 4 games i think), but they haven't faced a truly skilled offensive group. Huge test for the hawks.
                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Per @MichiganHockey on twitter, MU expressing interest in signing a long term non conference deal.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Per @MichiganHockey on twitter, MU expressing interest in signing a long term non conference deal.
                    That's in line with what we've heard from Rico at various events. Going forward Miami has signed a deal with OSU to open each season with a Friday/Saturday home & home, and are in talks with Michigan to continue playing each year. Hope they can work something out.

Comment

Really hope this comes to fruition.
                      2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

That's in line with what we've heard from Rico at various events. Going forward Miami has signed a deal with OSU to open each season with a Friday/Saturday home & home, and are in talks with Michigan to continue playing each year. Hope they can work something out.
                        this gets my vote!
                        Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

So far, I have heard that Michigan will go on the road next year and play tech in a 2 game series. Perhaps they will schedule a long term deal with them too. B1G is only going to have a 20 game conference schedule so there is a lot of room.
                          ---
                          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                          19 Conference Championships
                          10 Conference Tournament Championships
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Figured that'd be the case. I have to believe Miami will attempt to schedule "former" CCHA members who are reasonably to Oxford including State, U-M, duhOSU and BG in addition to the obvious continuation of the Western series which remains in-conference.
                            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

This weekend will be interesting. In no way, shape, nor form, do I think Miami is worthy of the #3 ranking. Two freshmen goaltenders and 11 of the 13 goal scorers are freshmen or sophomores. First road series. At Yost. Yikes.

Michigan's blue line is intimidating enough without Merrill. But, if Clare's back, and then you later add Merrill. Wow. This is one of Miami's smaller teams of the last decade. Built, me thinks, with beating Hockey East schools in the national tournament in mind. Speed wise, we probably match up better against Michigan in that department than we have in a long time, but size wise, we will be at a disadvantage, especially up front.

It would be nice to have Hartman back this weekend to add a little more size and strength, but I wouldn't count on it. That could mean we'll start four freshmen on the blueline this weekend.
                              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Working...
                              X