Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Cross 2012-13: A Return to the NCAA Tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cross 2012-13: A Return to the NCAA Tournament?

First time poster, but long time reader.

I know full well that I may be having conversations with myself on this board as I don't think any other Holy Cross fans post here, but so be it.

HC is a basketball school, first and foremost, then comes football, and then baseball and hockey are somewhere after that.

It frustrates me as a fan and close follower of the program that the administration and powers that be don't put the extra funding and support behind the Holy Cross hockey brand.

1) Didn't jump at the opportunity to join the ECAC (incredible perplexing to me, since the main reason for the formation of the Patriot League was to compete against "like minded institutions", but instead of competing against Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, etc., HC would rather play in Springfield against AIC on a Friday night. Mind boggling.)

2) Didn't capitalize on the 2006 win versus Minnesota in terms of added funding, a new/expanded arena, influx of scholarships right away, etc.

3) Didn't make a concerted effort to join the Hockey East this past year. Guarantee that if HC committed themselves to build a new arena, the Hockey East would have taken them instead of UConn.

About the only thing HC has done right is extend Paul Pearl's contract. He's one of the best in college hockey.

Anyways, enough rambling. Just needed to get that off the old chest.

Great start to the year soundly defeating AIC 6-2, and then a nice win over Clarkson 3-1.

Would be nice to sweep Army and UConn next weekend to be 4-0 heading out to Colorado Springs.

Hope that others will join my ramblings of Holy Cross hockey here. I don't want it to be myself going back and forth after every game!

Re: Holy Cross 2012-13: A Return to the NCAA Tournament?

Picked up one measly vote in this week's top 20 to check in at #38 overall...I'll take it.

Need to have a four point weekend (home against Army and UConn) prior to the trek out to Colorado Springs.

Air Force, by the way, picked up four votes. Kind of surprising to me since they were smoked by Denver and Colorado College. Suppose that their ties against Alaska and Anchorage are carrying some decent weight.

Comment

Enjoy your thread!
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Hey, SoV. I am sure Bentley folks will post on your thread from time to time. Hope to get out to Hart on the 9th. I think that the Bentley - Holy Cross rivalry is the best in Atlantic Hockey. Please feel invited to post on our thread.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          Enjoy your thread!
          Ugh, was really enjoying the musings with myself. You just had to ruin it, eh?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Hey, SoV. I am sure Bentley folks will post on your thread from time to time. Hope to get out to Hart on the 9th. I think that the Bentley - Holy Cross rivalry is the best in Atlantic Hockey. Please feel invited to post on our thread.
          Thanks. It has developed into a nice rivalry, indeed. From HC fans' perspective, I think there has been a bit of a rivalry that has developed with RIT in recent years too.

Comment

North Dakota fans approve of this thread...

Comment

Considering that the plan for the past 15 years was to get UConn, with its bigtime name in sports, into HE, I doubt the was anything that HC could have done. And they knew it, which was why they didn't make the effort.

So, with that statement as background, let the trash talking prior to Friday night begin. Have to think HC is favored, but you never know ....

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Considering that the plan for the past 15 years was to get UConn, with its bigtime name in sports, into HE, I doubt the was anything that HC could have done. And they knew it, which was why they didn't make the effort.
                Was that the plan? I wasn't aware. 15 years ago Connecticut wasn't a Division 1 program.

Comment

Correction. UConn was always a D-1 program, as was HC. Prior to 1997 (15 years ago) they played an ECAC East D-3 schedule, however, and abided by D-3 (and D-1) rules despite not having access to the NCAA D-3 tournament (because they were D-1). Go figure. In 1997, the MAAC hockey league was formed. Even in those days it was talked about that UConn would eventually move to HE after their FBS level football team became established. At the time, such talk seemed preposterous. Now, not so much.

Comment

Ah okay. So, I guess it was D-1 in name only.

Comment

Originally posted by Sons of Vaval View Post
                      Ah okay. So, I guess it was D-1 in name only.
                      Yeah, but because they had to adhere to D-1 rules too, it was more restrictive. For instance a SA can transfer to a D-3 school and play immediately the next season. In D-1, the SA has to wait a year. A lot of stuff like that made the D-1 schools want a better situation. When the MAAC formed, it allowed a lot of schools to keep their hockey programs and yet play on a level rink with each other.
                      Last edited by RSTuthill; 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

2-1 HC with just under 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd period. Both goalies have played exceptionally well this evening.

Comment

Good win for Holy Cross topping Connecticut 2-1.

Kyle Fletcher had the game winner with a little over 5 minutes left.

3-0 on the young season. Next up: Army, who is getting absolutely housed by Penn State tonight (5-0 early in the 3rd period).

Matt Ginn has been tremendous in goal this year giving up just 4 goals in 3 games. He has turned away 97 of 101 shots.

Comment

Nice win for the Crusaders over Uconn last night. Great to see local product Castan Sommer score his
                            first collegiate goal. Ginn has looked great in net so far. Who'd have thought tonight's game with Army
                            would be a battle for first place?
                            The price of success is paid in advance.

Comment

Why am I seeing postings on the fan forum that are being posted in the future? Oh yah the forum clock has not been reset to standard time yet.

I'm more than a little concerned by this recent trend of the Crusaders winning close games on Friday only to get blown out on Saturday. Need to find a way to finish off the weekend if we want to be a championship contender.
                              The price of success is paid in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X