2012 Brice AK Goal Rush: UAF, UAA, NoDak, Merrimack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Brice AK Goal Rush: UAF, UAA, NoDak, Merrimack

What should be a great weekend of hockey, combined with a couple of big-time tests for the local Alaska schools, is upon us. I know absolutely nothing about UND or Merrimack this season, other than the Sioux aren't bringing a bunch of players to Fairbanks thanks to suspensions.

As for the 'Nooks...

On Friday, they looked decent against a pretty good Air Force team. Decent as in about what you'd expect from a young-ish team with limited to no D1 goaltender experience. On Saturday, they all apparently had some hot dates to think about back in the 'Banks because Canisius had their way with them in a thorough woodshedding. No offense to Canisius, as they obviously wanted that W a helluva lot more than UAF did, but that outcome shouldn't have happened. Sophomore Sean Cahill looked good in net against Air Force on Friday; after a shaky first period he settled down and made some good saves, including getting the W in the shootout. On Saturday, freshman John Keeney got the nod and turned in a similarly shaky first period, but also settled down as the game wore on. One critique of Keeney is he doesn't swallow up pucks; there were numerous juicy rebounds against Canisius and a skilled offensive team will take advantage of that. Considering it was the first game of his college career I'm sure he'll get over that, but it was one of two glaring deficiencies I noticed about UAF last weekend, the other being the lack of having a player screening the opposing goalie. Andy Taranto has made a living scoring goals of that nature, so why we didn't establish a presence in front of the net is baffling. Too many times we had three guys stacked up on one side of the ice with nobody going to the net.

Also, the fact that we have yet to have a Steve Thompson sighting tells me that the coaching staff is using this season to break in Cahill and Keeney for the future, which is probably smart. My gut tells me Cahill is going to be "the man" this season, with Keeney and Thompson splitting the backup duties.

I'll let my erstwhile Seawolf brethren chime in on UAA, but for a team with zero expectations they looked pretty good last weekend. That said, North Dakota and Merrimack are a definite step up from Air Force and Canisius.

All in all, should be a great measuring stick for the hometown team. Hopefully some of the NoDak and Merrimack faithful while chime in on some expectations.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Re: 2012 Brice AK Goal Rush: UAF, UAA, NoDak, Merrimack

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    What should be a great weekend of hockey, combined with a couple of big-time tests for the local Alaska schools, is upon us. I know absolutely nothing about UND or Merrimack this season, other than the Sioux aren't bringing a bunch of players to Fairbanks thanks to suspensions.

As for the 'Nooks...

On Friday, they looked decent against a pretty good Air Force team. Decent as in about what you'd expect from a young-ish team with limited to no D1 goaltender experience. On Saturday, they all apparently had some hot dates to think about back in the 'Banks because Canisius had their way with them in a thorough woodshedding. No offense to Canisius, as they obviously wanted that W a helluva lot more than UAF did, but that outcome shouldn't have happened. Sophomore Sean Cahill looked good in net against Air Force on Friday; after a shaky first period he settled down and made some good saves, including getting the W in the shootout. On Saturday, freshman John Keeney got the nod and turned in a similarly shaky first period, but also settled down as the game wore on. One critique of Keeney is he doesn't swallow up pucks; there were numerous juicy rebounds against Canisius and a skilled offensive team will take advantage of that. Considering it was the first game of his college career I'm sure he'll get over that, but it was one of two glaring deficiencies I noticed about UAF last weekend, the other being the lack of having a player screening the opposing goalie. Andy Taranto has made a living scoring goals of that nature, so why we didn't establish a presence in front of the net is baffling. Too many times we had three guys stacked up on one side of the ice with nobody going to the net.

Also, the fact that we have yet to have a Steve Thompson sighting tells me that the coaching staff is using this season to break in Cahill and Keeney for the future, which is probably smart. My gut tells me Cahill is going to be "the man" this season, with Keeney and Thompson splitting the backup duties.

I'll let my erstwhile Seawolf brethren chime in on UAA, but for a team with zero expectations they looked pretty good last weekend. That said, North Dakota and Merrimack are a definite step up from Air Force and Canisius.

All in all, should be a great measuring stick for the hometown team. Hopefully some of the NoDak and Merrimack faithful while chime in on some expectations.
    I only got to see UAA on the internet, and I did't get to see the Nanooks at all. UAA looked good at times and bad at times. They need to get the pp clicking and get more shots on net. I think they have a good nucleus of players and if they get strong starts that bodes well as they seemed to play better as both games progressed last weekend.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

UND is ranked #2 in the country for a reason. They only lose 3 position player's from last years team that was a #1 seed in the NCAA's. They get back a healthy Rocco Grimaldi, and freshman 1st rounder Jordan Schmaltz is already on the top d-pairing to start the season. Goaltending was the only question mark coming into this season, losing Brad Eidsness and Aaron Dell, but if the exhibitions are any indication transfer Clarke Saunders should more than suffice.

UND should have one of the best lines in college hockey with Corban Knight and Danny Kristo. There 2nd line is great as well, and Rocco Grimaldi could be the 3rd line center, which could be a huge mismatch for every team in the country, as he might be the best 1 on 1 player in the league. If you can, get out and watch this kid in person, you will be out of your seat every time he touches the puck. He is tiny, but extremely dynamic.

As much offense as UND will have, defense should be their strength. Derek Forbort should be one of the top d-men in the country, senior captain Andrew MacWilliam has been one of the NCAA's biggest hitters the last few seasons, he might be the best purely defensive d-man in the country. Nick Mattson and Dillon Simpson are very good two-way players who play alot of minutes. Every one of their top 6 defensemen are drafted, I can't remember another time that has happened at UND.

Overall, this team is not as physically dominant as prior teams, but they are for sure faster. Very good depth at all positions. I would say, on paper, a clear cut #2 team behind Minnesota, who are so far ahead of every one right now its ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by as15 View Post
        UND is ranked #2 in the country for a reason. They only lose 3 position player's from last years team that was a #1 seed in the NCAA's. They get back a healthy Rocco Grimaldi, and freshman 1st rounder Jordan Schmaltz is already on the top d-pairing to start the season. Goaltending was the only question mark coming into this season, losing Brad Eidsness and Aaron Dell, but if the exhibitions are any indication transfer Clarke Saunders should more than suffice.

UND should have one of the best lines in college hockey with Corban Knight and Danny Kristo. There 2nd line is great as well, and Rocco Grimaldi could be the 3rd line center, which could be a huge mismatch for every team in the country, as he might be the best 1 on 1 player in the league. If you can, get out and watch this kid in person, you will be out of your seat every time he touches the puck. He is tiny, but extremely dynamic.

As much offense as UND will have, defense should be their strength. Derek Forbort should be one of the top d-men in the country, senior captain Andrew MacWilliam has been one of the NCAA's biggest hitters the last few seasons, he might be the best purely defensive d-man in the country. Nick Mattson and Dillon Simpson are very good two-way players who play alot of minutes. Every one of their top 6 defensemen are drafted, I can't remember another time that has happened at UND.

Overall, this team is not as physically dominant as prior teams, but they are for sure faster. Very good depth at all positions. I would say, on paper, a clear cut #2 team behind Minnesota, who are so far ahead of every one right now its ridiculous.
        I wish I saw the team in the same light. They have only played 2 exhibition games, and won both, but....Defense should be the strongest part of the team but didn't play cohesively so far. They let a bunch of 17 year old score 4 goals. Mac was out the first game and with a freshman it will take a while for them to gel. Putting the puck in the net should not be a problem. Winning faceoffs should set up a lot of shots (Knight was about 75% last week). Saunders looks strong and I think will be the starter this year. If he can put up a 906 save % at UAH, I'm looking forward to seeing him in goal at UND. As far as them being ranked number 2, watch for it to fall - I see a typical Hakstol team - start slow. And it won't help to have only 16 forwards for Friday, and the captains all suspended for that game.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Well, apparently AFN is more important than the UAA and North Dakota game. GCI is not showing the Friday night game live, only OnDemand. For those that don't know, AFN stands for the Alaska Federation of Natives. So, I guess blanket toss beats hockey game. Lame.
          _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
          No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
            Well, apparently AFN is more important than the UAA and North Dakota game. GCI is not showing the Friday night game live, only OnDemand. For those that don't know, AFN stands for the Alaska Federation of Natives. So, I guess blanket toss beats hockey game. Lame.
            Look at it as a reprieve from possibly listening to Bruce Cech turn a lump of a coal into a diamond.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

I agree with everything you said defensively, but for some reason I am optimistic they will turn it on for the regular season. Schmaltz is the only new comer, everyone else is battle tested, theoretically there should be no learning curve for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
                That is too bad, I would expect alot of North Dakota fans will want to watch theses games. What does "OnDemand" mean? How long after game time until it will be available to watch?

Comment

[QUOTE=Siouxfaninseattle;5522994]I wish I saw the team in the same light. They have only played 2 exhibition games, and won both, but....Defense should be the strongest part of the team but didn't play cohesively so far. They let a bunch of 17 year old score 4 goals. Mac was out the first game and with a freshman it will take a while for them to gel. Putting the puck in the net should not be a problem. Winning faceoffs should set up a lot of shots (Knight was about 75% last week). Saunders
                  looks strong and I think will be the starter this year. If he can put up a 906 save % at UAH, I'm looking forward to seeing him in goal at UND. As far as them being ranked number 2, watch for it to fall - I see a typical Hakstol team - start slow. And it won't help to have only 16 forwards for Friday, and the captains all suspended for that game.[/QUOTE)

Agreed - even with a full lineup, UND not playing well defensively. For game vs. UAA they will be missing five of their best seven forwards and their best defensive defenseman. Against UAF they will be again be missing Kristo and Parks along with Panzarella, Gaarder, Pattyn. Team will be two players short of a full lineup on Friday, one short on Saturday.
                  Last edited by Back check; 10-16-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by as15 View Post
                    That is too bad, I would expect alot of North Dakota fans will want to watch theses games. What does "OnDemand" mean? How long after game time until it will be available to watch?
                    You can watch them live online. He was talking about the TV simulcast in Anchorage.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I was planning on doing anyway.

Comment

With Merrimack you will be seeing an inexperienced team. After a great win over Union the Warriors came out very poorly against Northeastern. Despite battling back they lost 3-2. Both goalies will probably start a game as they split the first two. Look for Merrimack to be a defense based team that tries to use the stretch play and speed to generate offense. Wish I could go but Alaska was not in the budget.
                        Rinks Visited
                        DCU Center
                        Tulley Forum
                        TD Garden
                        Tsongas Arena
                        J. Thom Lawler Arena
                        Conte Forum
                        Whittemore Center
                        Agganis Arena
                        Verizon Center
                        Gutterson Fieldhouse
                        Matthews Arena
                        Thompson Arena
                        Mullins Center
                        Alfond Arena
                        Schneider Arena
                        Magness Arena
                        Ingallas Arena
                        Hart Center
                        Prudential Center
                        TD Bank Sports Center
                        John A Ryan
                        Lynah Rink
                        Appleton Arena
                        Cheel Arena
                        Germain Arena
                        XL Center
                        Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Even without half the team, UND rolls. Rocco scores 12 goals on the weekend and walks across the Chena River back to the Comfort Inn on Saturday night.

The river isn't frozen over yet, is it? Because it would be must less impressive if it's already frozen. Does the sun still make an appearance at this time of year in Squarebanks? Is there a new horrible UAF intro video this year? Will the bear take a nuclear bomb to all of Alaska this time? Will Dallas Ferguson ever get the surgery so he'll have a neck? Were the Nolans forced by No Neck to have sequential numbers? Who names their kid Kaare? Did the entire team share the same suit and tie for their pictures? How is it possible that Justin Tateson is whiter than Aaron Dell?
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

UND is staying at the Hotel Formerly Known As The Comfort Inn? Was the Klondike Hotel already booked? I figured you high rollers would at least pony up for the Best Western Plus on the Chena.

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            Even without half the team, UND rolls. Rocco scores 12 goals on the weekend and walks across the Chena River back to the Comfort Inn on Saturday night.

The river isn't frozen over yet, is it? Because it would be must less impressive if it's already frozen. Does the sun still make an appearance at this time of year in Squarebanks? Is there a new horrible UAF intro video this year? Will the bear take a nuclear bomb to all of Alaska this time? Will Dallas Ferguson ever get the surgery so he'll have a neck? Were the Nolans forced by No Neck to have sequential numbers? Who names their kid Kaare? Did the entire team share the same suit and tie for their pictures? How is it possible that Justin Tateson is whiter than Aaron Dell?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              UND is staying at the Hotel Formerly Known As The Comfort Inn? Was the Klondike Hotel already booked? I figured you high rollers would at least pony up for the Best Western Plus on the Chena.
                              North Dakota's huge budget surplus doesn't come from irresponsible spending on things like Klondike Hotel rooms...

Comment

Working...
                              X