Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Carry on.

Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Ha! Cheesy... Wisconsin. Clever.

Comment

Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      Ha! Cheesy... Wisconsin. Clever.

I considered thinner and deer, but my fellow fans don't embrace our vices full on like I do.
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
        trust me there's an undercurrent of discontent with this past weekend...but it's too early to jump all over the coaching staff (though last weekend resembled most weekend's last season)...I do recall the 06 Championship team started 1-3 or something like that, maybe 2-4? anyway, I remember 3-4 of us bemoaning that at the time and then about 20 games later we were pretty **** happy...so all in all, time to be patient at least for the first 4-5 weeks...
        Working off the assumption that the talent level of UMN, UND, DU, and UW are (and have been similar over the course over Eaves tenure as coach, first year excepted) and that the talent level at UW has been roughly equal from team to team, it really causes me to wonder why the UW teams have been so much more inconsistent and generally under-performing than any of the other 3 programs.

I have three potential explanations (I suspect that they ALL contribute in some way and are in many ways inter-related)
        1.) Uneven recruiting classes: I know that this has been harped on repeatedly but none of the other three schools undergo the same recruiting cycle imbalance as UW, this leads to massive turnover in players every 4 years, a level of player turn over that is often only experienced at other schools during Head Coaching changes. This leads to a massive swings in the collective experience of the team AND discontinuity in maintaining a constant team culture.
        2.) Coaching staff turnover: Looking at the other three schools, they have all undergone some Assistant Coach turnover, all top programs do, but nothing to the extent that UW has undergone during Eaves tenure when 1st assistants last about 3 years and 2nd assistants last about 2 years (not to even mention the Coach Howard departure debacle). This has major impact in recruiting and player development as each coach has a unique recruiting eye and focuses on different aspects of players. Recruiting is more art than science and the knowledge of what it takes to excel at the college level is the result of first hand experience as much as anything. NHL evaluation and draft status is NOT a predictor of the impact that the player will make in college (it's BARELY a predictor of what the player will do in the NHL (with zero impact outside of the first two rounds)
        3.) Team unity and cohesion: It's commonly stated that the most talented team often isn't the champion because they are unable to go from a group of individuals with a similar goals to a united entity with a single unified objective. If UW has suffered from ANYTHING since the 2005-06 team it is this problem which has been EXACERBATED by the uneven recruiting classes and the assistant coaching turnover (which have seemed to happen at the same time). It is all well and good for players to have NHL aspirations, but I wonder if those dreams are distracting from the players performance while at UW. Strong leaders can help the other team members put their individual aspirations aside for the good of the team, and while the Badgers have had a number of fine captains in the past 6 or 7 seasons, none of them were great leaders like the group that lead UW to the 2006 title.

This is just my analysis of why UW is in it's current situation, I have no idea is these are actually the problem and ZERO idea how to fix them. They can only be fixed from within the program itself and no quick fix exists for these as they are structural problems at the foundation of the program.

re-posted from Almington as it's pretty insightful...

hopefully last weekend was a hiccup
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          I considered thinner and deer, but my fellow fans don't embrace our vices full on like I do.
          That's ok. Minnesotans have their own vices, goats and hair gel. http://www.twincities.com/ci_21758995

Comment

Originally posted by milzie View Post
            That's ok. Minnesotans have their own vices, goats and hair gel. http://www.twincities.com/ci_21758995

That may be the most awesome news ever.

Of course, goats are known sluts...

Comment

Washington County is pretty much Wisconsin.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Qft

Comment

Chuck, I hope you're right and I'm way wrong.

Anyhoo, *** is taking so long? I'm more nervous than a whore in my synagogue. Is no news GOOD news since the NC$$ may be re-considering??
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    Chuck, I hope you're right and I'm way wrong.

Anyhoo, *** is taking so long? I'm more nervous than a whore in my synagogue. Is no news GOOD news since the NC$$ may be re-considering??
                    Appeal is taking place Thursday.

Comment

That may be the most awesome news ever.

Of course, goats are known sluts...
                      Goats eh? Makes sense though--most Minnesotans are too short for deer and probably lack the self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

Does that apply to every county along the Mississippi, or just suburban St. Paul? This wasn't some po-dunk southeastern county adjacent to Iowa that we're talking about here. Where I'm sure this sort of thing happens several times every day.

In addition, this wasn't some dude, down on his luck, can of open thinner, driving along at night, seeing a dead deer and thinking, in the heat of the moment, "that might be fun...."

This was premeditated - the guy had lube. The goat was alive. Dude thought this out, planned it and if there were second thoughts, he ignored them. This was an actual case of premeditated goat-rape.

He's yours Minnesotans. Own it. You sick ****s...

Comment

Does that apply to every county along the Mississippi, or just suburban St. Paul? This wasn't some po-dunk southeastern county adjacent to Iowa that we're talking about here. Where I'm sure this sort of thing happens several times every day.

In addition, this wasn't some dude, down on his luck, can of open thinner, driving along at night, seeing a dead deer and thinking, in the heat of the moment, "that might be fun...."

This was premeditated - the guy had lube. The goat was alive. Dude thought this out, planned it and if there were second thoughts, he ignored them. This was an actual case of premeditated goat-rape.

He's yours Minnesotans. Own it. You sick ****s...

On the plus side he was thoughtful enough to bring lube.

Bad acid trip perhaps, otherwise this guy has some serious Sconnie roots.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            On the plus side he was thoughtful enough to bring lube.

Bad acid trip perhaps, otherwise this guy has some serious Sconnie roots.
                            This explains why a gopher fan will always try to get your goat.

Comment

T-minus about 24-30 hours until we know how screwed we are re: Kerdiles.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X