Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    He's a really good youth coach. Sent my son to his checking/defenseman camp a couple of times. Also coached my son during a couple of summers with a high end youth camp/league. Great at explaining fundamentals and commands the ice as a coach. That's with youth players though, will have to see how that translates to the college level.

He was also the lead at a couple of my USA Hockey coaching certification seminars. Was very good in that role and I feel like I learned from what he had to say.

He wrote an instructional book for USA Hockey on Advanced Body Contact and Defense. Good book and quite useful.

I have a lot of respect for him and I like this choice to get us through this season. He could really help the defense.
    this sounds like a very good hire. Eaves calls him a disciple of Grant Standbrook, music to my ears as Standbrook had a LOT to do with the success of UW from about 77 to 87-88, I can't remember when Sauer pushed him out.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Andringa just stated 7 UW forwards have gone 10 or more games w/out a goal. That encapsulates the past recruiting failures/philosophy nicely. You won't win many games with 7 grinders on the team.

I wonder if Eaves chooses to recruit grinders at forward because it's easier to control them? Guys like Earl, Pavelski, Stepan etc, maybe are more difficult to get to buy into systems?
      regardless, they need about 3 more Kerdiles types right now. Secondary scorers like Barnes and Lee are obviously not coming through and that hurts the team even further.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Andringa just stated 7 UW forwards have gone 10 or more games w/out a goal. That encapsulates the past recruiting failures/philosophy nicely. You won't win many games with 7 grinders on the team.

I wonder if Eaves chooses to recruit grinders at forward because it's easier to control them? Guys like Earl, Pavelski, Stepan etc, maybe are more difficult to get to buy into systems?
        regardless, they need about 3 more Kerdiles types right now. Secondary scorers like Barnes and Lee are obviously not coming through and that hurts the team even further.
        To be fair, three of the forwards in the lineup tonight wouldn't be in if everyone was healthy. But yes...I said it the other day, the ratio of grinders to goal scorers is trending in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          To be fair, three of the forwards in the lineup tonight wouldn't be in if everyone was healthy. But yes...I said it the other day, the ratio of grinders to goal scorers is trending in the wrong direction.
          true...I'm getting testy as a fan just watching 1 period tonight...ugh, make a friggin tape to tape pass guys really.

I do hope Matt Walsh leaves a mark on this program though and I think it's possible he can be a long-term hire. playing for Grant Standbrook (under Sauer) has to have left an indelible impression
          Last edited by solovsfett; 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

This team is depressing to watch.

The 3rd periods are just plain ugly as they have consistently been outplayed in every one of them.

Worst start in the history of the modern era. Wow.

Edit: And don't even get me started on how disgusting the power play is.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

And the disaster continues.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

this team needs 6 Grant Besse's too add to Zengerle and Kerdiles, then it would begin to resemble say the 1992 or 1993 teams at forward. speed, skill, guys that can score.
                but that's not the only problem. the defense gives Peterson and Rumpel no help. they can't make tape to tape or break-out passes and only Shulze and possibly McCabe seem to have the speed to make up for any mistakes made.

Send Matt Walsh or Shuchuk to Canada and tell em not to come back to Madison until they've got 4-6 speed and skill guys lined up

1-6-2, injuries play a role but so does the fact that all those young players (and older players like Lee and Barnes) aren't stepping up, my .02 is that they can't. they're giving it all they can as it is, they just don't have high ceilings
                Last edited by solovsfett; 11-23-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Is this getting sad......yes. But we are hurting with Kerdiles, Zengerle, and Zulinick out this weekend.

I have to say there are only a handful of skilled guys on this team, 3/4 of this team would be fourth liners on DU or Minnesota or struggling to make the line-up. Need to recruit game changers and goal scorers.
                  WISCONSIN BADGERS
                  NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                  B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                  Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Disgusting.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      this team needs 6 Grant Besse's too add to Zengerle and Kerdiles, then it would begin to resemble say the 1992 or 1993 teams at forward. speed, skill, guys that can score.
                      but that's not the only problem. the defense gives Peterson and Rumpel no help. they can't make tape to tape or break-out passes and only Shulze and possibly McCabe seem to have the speed to make up for any mistakes made.

Send Matt Walsh or Shuchuk to Canada and tell em not to come back to Madison until they've got 4-6 speed and skill guys lined up

1-6-2, injuries play a role but so does the fact thUat all those young players (and older players like Lee and Barnes) aren't stepping up, my .02 is that they can't. they're giving it all they can as it is, they just don't have high ceilings
                      I think what we are seeing is the results of Eaves prince or pauper recruiting. Either your a top guy and eaves promises you a full ride or he offers you a pittance to come to UW. The problem is that those middle scores don't bite on the low offers and eaves wants nothing to do with a leader who can challenge his control of the team.

And the play and recruiting of the d has fallen off the map since Oz left for OSU and Butters took over.

Given that the 2013 recruiting class is weak on paper, I fail to see how this will get any better in the next season or two.

No Injuries might make this a 4-3-2, given the level of competition, I fail to see that as an acceptable record either.
                      Last edited by Almington; 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        I think what we are seeing is the results of Eaves prince or pauper recruiting. Either your a top guy and eaves promises you a full ride or he offers you a pittance to come to UW. The problem is that those middle scores don't bite on the low offers and eaves wants nothing to do with a leader who can challenge his control of the team.

And the play and recruiting of the d has fallen off the map since Oz left for OSU and Butters took over.

Given that the 2013 recruiting class is weak on paper, I fail to see how this will get any better in the next season or two.
                        exactly right. I think his maniacal need for 100% control and playing rigid systems means UW will never consistently land kids like Besse or Zengerle. Every now and then it will happen, but generally those guys with high-end skill want to freewheel and go go go, and they can get that at DU, Nodak, BC, MN, Mich and CC.

this doesn't at this time appear fixable by anything other than one of 2 things: 1. a MAJOR philosophical change by Eaves re: recruiting and systems or 2. A change of the head-coach

Comment

How much longer before the "Fire Eaves" chants begin in earnest?
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Considering how few people are starting to go to the games... it won't take many for the sound to carry throughout the arena.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              exactly right. I think his maniacal need for 100% control and playing rigid systems means UW will never consistently land kids like Besse or Zengerle. Every now and then it will happen, but generally those guys with high-end skill want to freewheel and go go go, and they can get that at DU, Nodak, BC, MN, Mich and CC.

this doesn't at this time appear fixable by anything other than one of 2 things: 1. a MAJOR philosophical change by Eaves re: recruiting and systems or 2. A change of the head-coach
                              It's not the besse and zengerle type super elite players that are the problem, it's landing the Adam Burish and Jake Dowell type players out of Wisconsin. Where are those type of players? The upper teen to 20 goal scorers? They still come out of Wisconsin but they play for other teams.

More elite players would be great, but their are only so many of them to go around, you MUST compliment those guys with secondary scorers who may not put up 25 goal and 50 point seasons but they are 15 goal and 35 point seasons. Not the 7 goal 20 point seasons that most of the forwards are lucky to put up. You trade out 4 of UW's 10 grinders on the roster for secondary goal scores this season looks a whole lot different even WITH the injuries and joke of a suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                No Injuries might make this a 4-3-2, given the level of competition, I fail to see that as an acceptable record either.
                                I keep seeing comments like this. Zullinik hadn't contributed anything before his injury. The team was off to a slow start even with Zengerle.

We're only actually missing Zengerle in terms of known assets as we haven't seen Kerdilles yet.

We should be around .500 with the injuries.

Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X