Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Gee...a player who played for Eaves under his first season at UW and was subsequently cut from the program. Can't imagine why his Eaves stories aren't pillow mints and roses.
    Heard the same story from other UW players. I bartended at Amy's Cafe during Eaves first few years and lots of hockey players would go there and play cards. Heard lots of things. And quit lying Chuck err Andy, Heisler was never cut, he quit on his own accord because he didn't want to go through all that again as a walk-on.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Did he really do that?

Least he didn't wipe and show it to them like Bobby Knight.

I've considered using that one. Squirts sure can be short on focus at times.
      The exact story is that in between periods Eaves was ****ed off for lack of effort. He decides to take off all his clothes and stand face to face with every player in dead silence one by one. Even the goalies and players in dress clothes weren't spared. He then put his clothes back on, left, and never came back. He wasn't seen in the locker room until the next practice.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
        The exact story is that in between periods Eaves was ****ed off for lack of effort. He decides to take off all his clothes and stand face to face with every player in dead silence one by one. Even the goalies and players in dress clothes weren't spared. He then put his clothes back on, left, and never came back. He wasn't seen in the locker room until the next practice.
        So, did the team play better after that or not?
        Last edited by Badger Booster; 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Wow, now the '06 national title is somehow diminished and Eaves is a "nut-job." Apparently any success they've had under his watch is in spite of him and any failure they've had is all his fault.

I'm not saying he should be getting a contract extension, but some of this is getting over the top.
          I think Eaves absolutely deserves credit for turning around the program and building the team that was capable of winning the national title and was arguably the best team that season (to this day I wonder what would have happened if Elliott had not hurt his knee).

While Eaves absolutely deserves credit for the turnaround, the fact that the turnaround was not sustained also falls on Eaves.

My question is: Did Eaves leverage his experience with USA hockey and the NTDP to bring in a bunch of recruits who knew his system and who he knew would fit into his system and once that dried up has he been unable to bring in the same type of secondary scorers needed to be successful at this level either because of the perception of uw's style of play, the rigid system that the team runs, or Eaves overall personality and is that likely to change while the head coach remains the same?

After the results of the last two seasons and the start to this season I think that is a very fair question to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            I think Eaves absolutely deserves credit for turning around the program and building the team that was capable of winning the national title and was arguably the best team that season (to this day I wonder what would have happened if Elliott had not hurt his knee).

While Eaves absolutely deserves credit for the turnaround, the fact that the turnaround was not sustained also falls on Eaves.

My question is: Did Eaves leverage his experience with USA hockey and the NTDP to bring in a bunch of recruits who knew his system and who he knew would fit into his system and once that dried up has he been unable to bring in the same type of secondary scorers needed to be successful at this level either because of the perception of uw's style of play, the rigid system that the team runs, or Eaves overall personality and is that likely to change while the head coach remains the same?

After the results of the last two seasons and the start to this season I think that is a very fair question to ask.
            you may have just knocked it out of the park. we'll never be privy to most of the information but man your description really rings true...to me at least

as for that story about the naked locker room situation...jesus, well on one hand I hope it's not true and that Heisler was a disgruntled ***** like Leavitt and a few others along the way. it would make sense to me, why would guys like McDonagh and Justin Schultz stay as long as they did if Eaves was bat****? that's sort of tough to believe...then again once you're there under scholarship your choices are play it out, leave and sit out a year or turn pro

then again, if it were true.....I'd say it's disgusting behavior (I don't care about Bobby Knight or Mike Singletary previously doing the same things in front of their respective teams) and he should be fired for it to be honest.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

You realize we won the title that year. Even went into the NCAA's as the 1 seed. The Gophers never beat us with Elliott.

What's "arguable" about it?

We were hands down the best team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                You realize we won the title that year. Even went into the NCAA's as the 1 seed. The Gophers never beat us with Elliott.

What's "arguable" about it?

We were hands down the best team.
                Didn't win the WCHA regular season title and didn't win the WCHA playoff title.

You want to be the undisputed best team, sweep all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  And didn't that same kid take another look at UW later down the line when his first option didn't work out?
                  Wrong player but ironic that his circumstances were pretty close. Forgot about that though.
                  University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

FWIW, there's no doubt in my mind that UW wins the regular season title that year if Elliott doesn't hurt his knee. Wisconsin was just 2-5 in league games that season when Connolly had to fill in. UW was 20-3-2 in games Elliott started in the WCHA that season, and 2 of those 3 losses came in the weekend immediately returning off his injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post

Those are some pretty lofty goals there Herb.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        FWIW, there's no doubt in my mind that UW wins the regular season title that year if Elliott doesn't hurt his knee. Wisconsin was just 2-5 in league games that season when Connolly had to fill in. UW was 20-3-2 in games Elliott started in the WCHA that season, and 2 of those 3 losses came in the weekend immediately returning off his injury.
                        Isnt the backup goaltender part of the team? Shouldn't the best team be able to overcome the adversity of injuries?

Who knows how NCAAs playout if Elliott had played nearly every ge that season.

I believe that UW was the best team that season, but given the results when Elliott was injured and the fact that they didnt win the Final Five WITH Elliott in net it can be argued that they were not the best team, just had the best goaltender.

Comment

Of the three main powers in the WCHA, I think Eaves has the hardest job. You would think UW would be an easy place to recruit to, and I'm sure it is, but one thing JDubbs was probably right about is that most of those home-growns grow up wanting to play for the gophers. They've bought into the team before they get there. UND recruits make an obvious sacrifice to attend UND, but once there it's all hockey--outside of an occasional lawn mower party. Hakstol has an easier job developing those kids once they get there than he would in Madison, IMO.

Of couse that doesn't explain York's run of success at BC, but I think he stands apart at this point in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Of the three main powers in the WCHA, I think Eaves has the hardest job. You would think UW would be an easy place to recruit to, and I'm sure it is, but one thing JDubbs was probably right about is that most of those home-growns grow up wanting to play for the gophers. They've bought into the team before they get there. UND recruits make an obvious sacrifice to attend UND, but once there it's all hockey--outside of an occasional lawn mower party. Hakstol has an easier job developing those kids once they get there than he would in Madison, IMO.

Of couse that doesn't explain York's run of success at BC, but I think he stands apart at this point in his career.
                            Why does Hakstol have an easier development path at UND? Is it just fewer distractions and a more committed administration or something else?

What about Gwozdecky at DU, Bearinson at Michigan, what Jeff Jackson has done turning around Notre Dame, what Blasi has done at Miami?

York has a factory at BC and he knows exactly what pieces to put in and how to built a balanced team that can compete year in and year out. It's a formula that took him years to develop and perfect at bowling green and clarkson and then adjust it to his specific situation at BC and the changing landscape. That's what has made York one of the greatest college hockey coaches of all time.

Comment

I didn't see this mentioned....now that Maryland and Rutgers are in the B1G, their hockey teams will add 2 more teams to the conference. Wait, what?
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

You know, considering our massive identity crisis right now, it's nice to see that we haven't sprouted any "Fire Mike Eaves" threads yet.

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                I didn't see this mentioned....now that Maryland and Rutgers are in the B1G, their hockey teams will add 2 more teams to the conference. Wait, what?
                                Nyuk nyuk.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X