Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

OK so the results didn't paint a rosy picture over the weekend, but just to fill in the epic vacuum of space left by lack of MSUel fan activity here I'll do the "honors".

Icky. Now, to be fair, that's a talented bunch up there, and there's a fair bit of turnover here in East Lansing. I will say I saw some pretty good shifts despite all that - it's just that there's so much speed MSU couldn't handle the result is predictable - 10 penalties, 31 penalty minutes and a bunch of minutes one-man-down. There were times on Friday I thought MSU could've got a couple more goals with their pressure but it turns out their goalie is good, too. Saturday, no real flow, just some frustration and half the team packing it in for the next week.

On a positive note, there was a good 20 minutes put in by Fr. G Jake Hillebrand and he'll give us some needed relief / new looks this year should Yanekeff have some rough outings.

Also there are some glimpses of talent from the likes of freshmen Keller, Ferrantino, Bondra and DeBlouw. I thought we had a talented freshmen class last year and as sophomores they will produce - but I'm really optimistic about this year's newcomers.

This coming weekend things can settle down and the boys can work on some things - power play, communication on our own zone, burying chances, solidifying our lines and improving on defense - both D-men and forwards. I'd really like to see Rhett Holland in the lineup and how he can can provide sort of a change in culture back there.

Let MSU get a win or two under it's belt and who knows, maybe we can roll into Ann Arbor with some confidence and make some noise

Go Green!
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM.

Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    maybe we can roll into Ann Arbor with some confidence and make some noise
    Not happening. Really don't see it with that performance they had against minnesota.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      Not happening. Really don't see it with that performance they had against minnesota.
      Who's to say your beatdown won't be worse?
      Better dead than Red

Comment

If only you guys weren't Minnesota or maybe if we were in fact, RIT... Oh well, there's always next year.

Also, you seem to spend A LOT of time concerned about MSU. You and the UMICH kid.

Comment

Anyways, I think we're better than that. Everybody probably thinks we're sub-bowling green level right now but I don't.

I was surprised by Saturday's results seeing as how we seemed to get it under much better control after the first period of friday. Friday we managed to look pretty good at times and it was encouraging. Saturday was...a bummer. All of those penalties didn't help things, though.

Also, I know he was put in some tough situations, but Yanakeff needs to make saves. 4 goals on 10 shots in the first period saturday and 3 on 13 friday will never cut it. Not nearly all of those goals were of the "nothing he could do about it" variety. We knew that it was going to be tough to win but when we're down by 3 before our new guys can even settle down, then things are gonna snowball.

I actually do like our team. I think we will end up being pretty decent as long as the Defense can hold their own. I like our freshman.

Also, something of interest is that Mackenzie MacEachern or h owever you spell it is currently the 3rd highest point scorer in the USHL. Hopefully canada doesn't lure him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post

Also, you seem to spend A LOT of time concerned about MSU. You and the UMICH kid.
            Funny, which is why you were woofing about RIT beating Michigan in their thread. It's how the green and white roll, though. Surprised some of your players didn't tweet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              Funny, which is why you were woofing about RIT beating Michigan in their thread. It's how the green and white roll, though. Surprised some of your players didn't tweet about it.
              I guess if you consider one congratulatory comment that includes the fact that I enjoy seeing you guys lose both "woofing" and "spending a lot of time concerned about UM", then alright. I'm not the one traipsing about your season and series threads.

Comment

If only you guys weren't Minnesota or maybe if we were in fact, RIT... Oh well, there's always next year.

Funny. You take pride in something another team did because your team can't do it. You call me concerned, and then you bring up RIT. Just like how it was in football in 2007. It's perfect for a meme. "Mocks Michigan for losing to app state; loses to Michigan"

Also, did you happen to see what happened the next night against RIT? Same with western. Lost to St. Lawrence, beat them the next night. Michigan and western are the top two teams in the state of Michigan. If getting your jollies off to teams who are superior to yours losing the first game of a long season, then have at it.
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I will sadly be missing the Niagara series. But it's for a good cause: I'll be in AA to cheer on the football team.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    I'll be in AA to cheer on the football team.
                    The loss to Iowa was that bad?
                    Oooohhhh, Ann Arbor.

Posted this in the game thread but thought I'd throw it here to: Saw a few things from MSU that impressed me and one play in particular stood out to me: On Saturday one MSU forward (can't remember the number) dropped in front of a slapper from (I think) Alt with ~ 6 or 7 left in the game. He very easily could have bypassed blocking the shot but he didn't and the Spartan players on the bench all got up and slapped their sticks in appreciation. Gutsy kid.

Good luck the rest of the way.
                    Last edited by Greyeagle; 10-15-2012, 09:38 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I guess if you consider one congratulatory comment that includes the fact that I enjoy seeing you guys lose both "woofing" and "spending a lot of time concerned about UM", then alright. I'm not the one traipsing about your season and series threads.
                      Thank you for using the word "traipsing". We'd call it lurking otherwise, which is acceptable in a Michigan opponent's thread? I never said you spent a lot of time, you just chose to toss in a dig- in which I replied that we'll see what happens in Minnesota. The scores said it all, I never brought it back up. Offering congratulatory comments is one thing, taking an opportunity is another. No different than your football team's scrubs woofing on twitter about the Bama score and Rose bowl talk and...then you guys laying three giant eggs at home. It's Sparty being Sparty.

Comment

Funny. You take pride in something another team did because your team can't do it. You call me concerned, and then you bring up RIT. Just like how it was in football in 2007. It's perfect for a meme. "Mocks Michigan for losing to app state; loses to Michigan"
                        I am pretty sure not a year has gone by that MSU hasn't beaten Michigan except for that 2008 season. In fact, I am pretty sure the records are pretty close to .500 the last 10 years or so.

Nevertheless, I don't really give much of a **** to argue about such things you. You really hate MSU and that's fine. I don't really care and will pretty much just be discussing MSU or Niagara this week. Plus, you just seem like a pretty obnoxious person.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          Thank you for using the word "traipsing". We'd call it lurking otherwise, which is acceptable in a Michigan opponent's thread? I never said you spent a lot of time, you just chose to toss in a dig-in which I replied that we'll see what happens in Minnesota. The scores said it all, I never brought it back up. Offering congratulatory comments is one thing, taking an opportunity is another. No different than your football team's scrubs woofing on twitter about the Bama score and Rose bowl talk and...then you guys laying three giant eggs at home. It's Sparty being Sparty.
                          Right.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            The loss to Iowa was that bad?
                            Oooohhhh, Ann Arbor.

Posted this in the game thread but thought I'd throw it here to: Saw a few things from MSU that impressed me and one play in particular stood out to me: On Saturday one MSU forward (can't remember the number) dropped in front of a slapper from (I think) Alt with ~ 6 or 7 left in the game. He very easily could have bypassed blocking the shot but he didn't and the Spartan players on the bench all got up and slapped their sticks in appreciation. Gutsy kid.

Good luck the rest of the way.
                            I had switched to the Tigers game for much of that time so thanks for the observation. Back in my playing days, laying down and blocking a shot was one of the more satisfying things you could do. The team definitely does love it and it fires people up.

Minnesota will be really, really tough this year. This upcoming weekend will tell us quite a bit more about MSU, but I think this past weekend had more to do with Minny being very good rather than MSU being bad. It might take a bit to get going with all of our freshman, but I think in the end, this will look like a powerful statement by a national title favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post

I'd really like to see Rhett Holland in the lineup and how he can can provide sort of a change in culture back there.

Oh, i forgot to mention this. I thought he had a pretty rough game against Windsor. Seemed to have a tough time making decisions compared to the other defensemen. Probably why he was not in the lineup this weekend. He is a big, tough body though and if I would like to see him get another chance to make some plays in a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X