Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA REFEREE Arrested

...aaaand this just hit Fark.

Poor guy's never going to hear the end of this.

Who's got him next weekend? I expect the hell to be razzed out of him.

ETA: I read Brent's follow-up article. HE CAN'T LEAVE ALASKA. OH THIS IS PRICELESS.
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 10-15-2012, 01:18 AM.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/ref.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        We are told repeatedly in airports not to carry anything for anybody, to not leave our bags unattended, to report suspicious bags and activity. Frankly, I think it is reasonable for him to want his name associated with his bag. He knows what is in his bag, he doesn't know what is in his friend's bag. IF there is a bomb or other stupidity in his friend's bag and it gets pulled in screening, it's his butt that is on the line, not his friend's, at least initially. It's reasonable to be concerned about that. And the question, "what if my friend's bag has a bomb in it?" becomes reasonable. How does one ask that without getting thrown in jail? The gate agent is telling two stories of what the ref said. Gee, do you think he got a little coaching from one of the law enforcement types on how best to cover his butt?? I can see him skating when it comes down to the question of believability of what was actually said. Instances like this an audio recording becomes gold.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Catch 22 victims are guilty of nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            I'm not exactly the world's biggest TSA fan, but

1) The airport absolutely did the right thing here. Every threat should be treated as credible and investigated, even if the person appears joking.
            2) He didn't say it to the TSA, he said it to a gate agent from what I can gather.
            I disagree. The biggest idiot(s) are the TSA, gate and other airport personnel who reacted the way they did.

So let's assume it went down the way we're hearing. The two passengers show up. Someone makes a mistake in tagging or marking the bags, or whatever happened. Passenger feigns unhappiness over this error, joking about what happens if there is a bomb in his friend's bag (he could have just as easily said what happens if there is women's underwear in his friend's bag, a much more likely scenario). Airport/TSA employee (possibly embarrassed by their own mistake with the bag) then completely overreacts. Airport gets shut down. Guy gets arrested.

Let me tell you why explosives and other weapons make their way onto planes. It's not because more TSA/airport employees fail to act as this clown did. It's because too many of them have less common sense than a can of bean dip, or they're too busy looking for i-pads to rip off out of someone's bag.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I disagree. The biggest idiot(s) are the TSA, gate and other airport personnel who reacted the way they did.

So let's assume it went down the way we're hearing. The two passengers show up. Someone makes a mistake in tagging or marking the bags, or whatever happened. Passenger feigns unhappiness over this error, joking about what happens if there is a bomb in his friend's bag (he could have just as easily said what happens if there is women's underwear in his friend's bag, a much more likely scenario). Airport/TSA employee (possibly embarrassed by their own mistake with the bag) then completely overreacts. Airport gets shut down. Guy gets arrested.

Let me tell you why explosives and other weapons make their way onto planes. It's not because more TSA/airport employees fail to act as this clown did. It's because too many of them have less common sense than a can of bean dip, or they're too busy looking for i-pads to rip off out of someone's bag.
              They both got processed at the same time going to the same place... As far as I've seen they put on the big and small barcode stickers on the bags. So basically they've swapped names.

You'd have to be a total WCHA hockey referee to bungle that one to be honest.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

You cannot joke about bombs in an airport. It's that simple.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So let me guess, they found a bomb in the suitcase?

What, no?? I am shocked, absolutely shocked they didn't discover a bomb, what with that keen analysis and detective work by the airport/TSA personnel.

Is there anyone here, who when you read the report about what happened, really thought there was any possibility at all there was actually a bomb in that suitcase? So why should we give a pass to some clown who now says they had to shut down an airport and presumably do all sorts of inspections.

People should be mocked for stupidity in this story. But it's the airport personnel.

I think people ought to start saying the word "bomb" at airports. Maybe if everyone did it we'd stop all this nonsense.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I think people ought to start saying the word "bomb" at airports. Maybe if everyone did it we'd stop all this nonsense.
                    Except some idiot would then ruin all the fun by really having one.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

*****http://thedailydish.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bag-balm1.jpg******

Wait ... let me put my bag balm in my baggage.

*****http://www.rivervalleyslf.com/Head%20Shot%20Adam.jpg******

Meet my friend Adam Baum.
                      Last edited by uaafanblog; 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Suppose someone missed a connection because of this malarkey, and as a result lost out on a job offer/business deal or a sick loved one trapped at home died or something. Would there be grounds for a civil suit against him?
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

An unconfirmed source has stated that the person in queston was actually misquoted. What he really said was:
                          "Working games in the NCHC next season is going to be the bomb..."

Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            You cannot joke about bombs in an airport. It's that simple.
                            It's advisable to not even use the B-word openly in any public location today, especially in an airport. 911 did that. Obviously, TSA is on alert with a procedural protocol in case of a bomb threat and it's a very serious matter. A major blunder on the refs part.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Suppose someone missed a connection because of this malarkey, and as a result lost out on a job offer/business deal or a sick loved one trapped at home died or something. Would there be grounds for a civil suit against him?
                              Doubtful that he would have the assets/insurance to cover such a lawsuit, secondly it would be very expensive to conduct a legal action like this against an individual that lives several thousand miles away, and thirdly it was the airport's decision to shut down, delay flights etc...

A more realistic question would be if the Airport would go after him for extra costs associated with the shutdown.

At the end of the day, the Airport probably overreacted and it sounds like the Airport is going to conduct an internal review of its procedures and policies. Its one thing to shut down Anchorage Airport at 1 AM, can you imagine if they shut down O'Hare, Atlanta or LAX at 5 pm?

Not sure if alcohol was a factor in this situation, but if the ref[s] was/were drinking at the airport bar after checking in but before he made the comment to the gate agent, then that's pretty good reason to shut down the bar in the waiting area. You have to weigh the costs of having drunk passengers shutting down the airport vs the benefits of passengers having social drinks and profits from the bars.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                An unconfirmed source has stated that the person in queston was actually misquoted. What he really said was:
                                "Working games in the NCHC next season is going to be the bomb..."

Ryan J
                                LOL, but it would appear that your source incorrectly references the NCHC. He works games in Alaska, so next season it will be in the WCHA!
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X