X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ouch!!!

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
    According to the NYSHSHCA web site, they have the Aud locked in through 2014 for that weekend
    Ironically, Utica's Proctor High School eliminated boys hockey.

Though Utica, Michigan fields 4 teams.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

On a completely unrelated note...

Anyone know where I can find video of Utica's recent victory at the Cooler in Geneva against Hobart? Been looking on Youtube under Hobarts' athletic page but they havn't put it up yet. They've put up video highlights of every home game thus far but still no Utica highlights. I know you don't want to comprise a highlights package of your team losing but they have the highlight video up of them losing to Oswego in Overtime.

So someone let me know if you can find or know of a video or highlights of that game, it'd be appreciated
      Last edited by Pioneers#1; 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM.
      Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
      Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
      Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
      2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
      2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        But other area schools do have teams: New Hartford, Whitesboro, Cazenovia, Clinton and Rome Free Academy.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
          And some still insist that EC should move to the First Arena. $$$$$ Talk. Guaranteed money wins every time, the more, the better.
          I don't think you understand the point many of us have been trying to make about moving to First Arena. We realize the college probably doesn't want to pay the money, but we think it would be more attractive for recruits and would be a bit more exciting to watch a game because the Domes are never near capacity anymore. Some times cheaper isn't better!!!
          2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
            I don't think you understand the point many of us have been trying to make about moving to First Arena. We realize the college probably doesn't want to pay the money, but we think it would be more attractive for recruits and would be a bit more exciting to watch a game because the Domes are never near capacity anymore. Some times cheaper isn't better!!!
            My argument isn't about it being right or wrong, it's about WHY the College won't make the move. I'll go wherever they go but MY own preference is still the Domes. Hopefully there will be 2 more games there this year, not just the 1 scheduled reg. season game.
            Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
            Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
            Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              But other area schools do have teams: New Hartford, Whitesboro, Cazenovia, Clinton and Rome Free Academy.
              And they all have won at least 1 state championship (Clinton 4, N.H. 3, etc.) It's a real shame what NYS has done to high school hockey. Proctor is only one of many schools who were forced to give up the sport. It will be a few years before the effects of their short sighted ideas hit the college and pro game, but it will. The numbers are down in all youth programs across the state and even into Canada. All of hockey needs a feeder program and that starts at the youth level. Many kids see their first game at the high school level and get interested in the sport and go on to learn to play. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I think hockey in genral is headed in the wrong direction. OK, back to UC this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bennycheck View Post
                +1. I enjoy going to the NYS championships each year to see where the future College (D1 and DIII) are coming from. There have also been a few NHL players too. In fact, there are 2 player on UC right now that came from CNY hockey. One thing we shouldn't over look is the NCAA likes money and I think the they may make an exception (maybe not) as 4,000 tickets sold with a big chunck going to them may be too much to pass up. Time will tell.
                It's definitely a fun event; I chat-up parents from all over the state, and it's refreshing (if somewhat startling) to hear how happy all those folks are to be in Utica, FCS!

The quality of the hockey isn't great, though, and in an average year you won't see a single player that will get so much as a sniff of D-1. A few D-3 level talents might be around, but they are few and far-between, too... All the better players have long-since departed HS for prep schools or the juniors.

You made a very good point about counting chickens, though...

Utica hasn't won anything yet, and their upcoming ECAW schedule is typically brutal. I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped two at home to Hobart and another two on the road at M'ville... And while I don't expect that to happen, it's well within the realm of possibility, and UC would likely be done-in as a result.

Being as objective as I can, I do believe that UC's resume is the most impressive in the East thus far, but there's lots of key games left to play. I'm not nearly as concerned about the availability of The Aud as I am the necessity for it to be available.

Comment

Very articulate post fishman !
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    It's definitely a fun event; I chat-up parents from all over the state, and it's refreshing (if somewhat startling) to hear how happy all those folks are to be in Utica, FCS!

The quality of the hockey isn't great, though, and in an average year you won't see a single player that will get so much as a sniff of D-1. A few D-3 level talents might be around, but they are few and far-between, too... All the better players have long-since departed HS for prep schools or the juniors.

You made a very good point about counting chickens, though...

Utica hasn't won anything yet, and their upcoming ECAW schedule is typically brutal. I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped two at home to Hobart and another two on the road at M'ville... And while I don't expect that to happen, it's well within the realm of possibility, and UC would likely be done-in as a result.

Being as objective as I can, I do believe that UC's resume is the most impressive in the East thus far, but there's lots of key games left to play. I'm not nearly as concerned about the availability of The Aud as I am the necessity for it to be available.
                    The days of players going right from NYS high school hockey to college are, sadly, long gone. You have to go to the next level before a college will even look at you. That being said, all of the players that have gone on to play at a higher level, even NHL, have played some high school hockey in their home towns. And most all of them have learned their basics from a youth program in or around their home town. Ask a player which he remembers more, winning a state championship or playing before maybe 200 parents and students at prep school. While the best players have to move up to gain the skills needed, high school players do very well and many of them become team leaders when they do move up. Look at the captains of the Kings, Rangers, and Canadians. All played at least some NYS high school hockey in their home towns. An interesting question was asked (trivia) between periods of a Rangers game a few years ago. Which state in the US has the most players in the NHL? While I thought for sure it would be MN or Mass, it was New York. That may have changed by now, but I found it interesting. There's more to team sports than just skill IMHO. NOW back to UC hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Very articulate post fishman !
                      True, in fact I am so inspired, I am going to the Weathervane Sunday.
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bennycheck View Post
                        Which state in the US has the most players in the NHL? While I thought for sure it would be MN or Mass, it was New York.
                        I don't know where you got your information from but its waayyyy off

MINN-227
                        MASS-171
                        MICH-133
                        NY-95
                        ILL-48
                        PENN-28
                        CONN-28
                        WIsc-25

Current
                        MINN-32
                        NY-21
                        Mi-17
                        Ma-11
                        Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM.
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

MINN-227
                          MASS-171
                          MICH-133
                          NY-95
                          ILL-48
                          PENN-28
                          CONN-28
                          WIsc-25

Current
                          MINN-32
                          NY-21
                          Mi-17
                          Ma-11
                          And not to be forgotten -- Maryland - 1 (2 when Tinordi shows up for MTL)
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

MINN-227
                            MASS-171
                            MICH-133
                            NY-95
                            ILL-48
                            PENN-28
                            CONN-28
                            WIsc-25

Current
                            MINN-32
                            NY-21
                            Mi-17
                            Ma-11
                            Looky here, here and here.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              Looky here, here and here.
                              Hey Larry .....is there a link to how may of these US born players had Canadian born parent(s) ?

Comment

MINN-227
                                MASS-171
                                MICH-133
                                NY-95
                                ILL-48
                                PENN-28
                                CONN-28
                                WIsc-25

Current
                                MINN-32
                                NY-21
                                Mi-17
                                Ma-11
                                Hey, it was a trivia question on a MSG Rangers broadcast. So they were wrong!!

Comment

Working...
                                X