2012-2013: NCAA Rankings - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012-2013: NCAA Rankings - Week 1

I did this last year, and will do so again this year. Basically, for those interested, please post your top-10 teams. The results will be used by College Hockey Weekly for their power rankings, so we as posters have the unique ability to have our voices heard. Anyway, if you wish to have your vote potentially be counted by CHW, please have your vote in by Tuesday, October 16th, at 12:00pm Eastern Time.

My top 10:
    1. Minnesota - The Gophers were dominating in their sweep of Michigan State, and look like they are playing in midseason form. IMO, they are clearly the #1 team in the country.
    2. North Dakota - North Dakota is here largely because of the missteps of Western and BC, but UND looked very solid offensively, despite a few defensive miscues. We'll get a good look at North Dakota's depth this weekend as they play shorthanded against both Alaska schools.
    3. Cornell - The Big Red didn't play, but move up in my list due to the losses by Western and BC.
    4. Western Michigan - A split at home against St. Lawrence isn't something you'd expect for a team with the talent that Western has, but it was the first weekend of the season.
    5. Boston College - Another slow start out of the gate for BC only means a drop in the early season rankings. I don't think anybody is fooled into thinking that BC will not be there at the end of the year.
    6. Notre Dame - The Irish won't earn extra points for style, but they got the job done, beating Maine and Omaha to win the IceBreaker Title.
    7. Union - The Dutchmen responded to a loss against Merrimack in their season opener, with a strong sweep of Bowling Green.
    8. Boston University - The Terriers beat a strong Providence squad 4-2 in their only game thus far.
    9. New Hampshire - An impressive sweep over SCSU this weekend has the Wildcats rocketing up my board to #9.
    10. Massachusetts-Lowell - A disappointing draw to kick off their 2012-2013 campaign has Lowell drop to #10.

Honorable Mention:
    Harvard
    Miami
    SCSU
    Michigan
    Northern Michigan
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: 2012-2013: NCAA Rankings - Week 1

1. Minnesota
    2. Boston College
    3. North Dakota
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Boston University
    6. Cornell
    7. Western Michigan
    8. Michigan
    9. New Hampshire
    10. Northern Michigan
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised the real rankings had 4 votes for #1 not go to Minnesota after this weekend. Not that polls matter.

edit: If my math is right, those 4 voters also didn't vote MN #2.
      Last edited by JF_Gophers; 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

1. Minnesota
        2. North Dakota
        3. Boston College
        4. Cornell
        5. Boston University
        6. Michigan
        7. Miami
        8. Northeastern
        9. Western Michigan
        10. New Hampshire
        2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Thank you to those that have voted thus far. For those that still wish to have their vote counted, please post your top 10 by Noon (Eastern) tomorrow (October 16th).
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            I'm surprised the real rankings had 4 votes for #1 not go to Minnesota after this weekend. Not that polls matter.

edit: If my math is right, those 4 voters also didn't vote MN #2.
            Perhaps the "real rankings" aren't very good?

The four voters could have voted Minnesota in a variety of different ways, but yes, it is impossible that all 4 voted Minnesota #2. The most #2 votes would have been 3 (and 1 #7 vote). My guess is that there were a couple #2 votes and the rest were in the Top 5 (i.e. 2 #2 votes, 1 #4 vote, 1 #5 vote).
            North Dakota

Comment

1. Minnesota
              2. North Dakota
              3. Michigan
              4. Notre Dame
              5. Union
              6. Boston University
              7. Boston College
              8. Cornell
              9. Western Michigan
              10. Northeastern

HM: UMass-Lowell, New Hampshire, Northern Michigan
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

1. Minnesota
                2. Union
                3. Notre Dame
                4. North Dakota
                5. BU
                6. Miami
                7. Cornell
                8. UNH
                9. BC
                10. Michigan

notes, WMU barely escapes with the saturday win and you have them in the top 10?! Seriously? So Either StL is really good or maybe WMU is overrated.
                Hon mention NMU.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

For anyone wanting to post their top ten and still have it count, you have about 90 minutes left to post.
                  North Dakota

Comment

I will never understand rewarding a team for not playing. How is a 0-0 team ahead of a 2-0 team or 1-0 team based on what they did last season and their recruiting class? Of course, I put Cornell over my own Huskies lol. So I don't get myself either.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                      I will never understand rewarding a team for not playing. How is a 0-0 team ahead of a 2-0 team or 1-0 team based on what they did last season and their recruiting class? Of course, I put Cornell over my own Huskies lol. So I don't get myself either.
                      Because you are pretty sure they are better than at least 49 other teams out there, even though they haven't played a game this season.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        I could flip that around and ask "why do you want to hold it against a team just because they haven't played a game yet?" That seems equally unfair. Anyway, it's all for fun. People can use whatever criteria they want I guess.
                        #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                          I could flip that around and ask "why do you want to hold it against a team just because they haven't played a game yet?" That seems equally unfair. Anyway, it's all for fun. People can use whatever criteria they want I guess.
                          You're right you could. I was just sharing an opinion. I'm not steaming about USCHO poster criteria.

It's like the championship argument regarding athletes. I won't knock Charles Barkley down because he never won one. But others may leapfrog him if they have equal individual stats.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            Because you are pretty sure they are better than at least 49 other teams out there, even though they haven't played a game this season.
                            exactly, also just because a team loses (BC) doesn't necessarily mean they are worse than others teams that won either.

Comment

1. Minnesota
                              2. BC
                              3. Notre Dame
                              4. North Dakota
                              5. Michigan
                              6. Boston U
                              7. Cornell
                              8. UNH
                              9. Western Michigan
                              10. Union