NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

Condolences to the family of Roger Lewis and the NMU family... We lost a good friend and hockey player this weekend.. RIP my friend.

Roger Lewis, born 1972 in Hancock, played 4 seasons of hockey with Houghton High School where he was chosen team's MVP and was selected for All-State. He played on Team Michigan for the Chicago Showcase. After graduating in 1990, he played one year of Juniors for Northland Voyageurs in Duluth, MN, then 3 seasons with Northern Michigan University 1994-97, then 1 year in the UHL for Saginaw Lumber Kings, then six seasons 1997-2003 in the CHL and WPHL with Memphis, Austin, Amarillo, Lubbock, ElPaso and Corpus Christi.

*****http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/players/LewisRogerNMUs_small.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
      Condolences to the family of Roger Lewis and the NMU family... We lost a good friend and hockey player this weekend.. RIP my friend.

Roger Lewis, born 1972 in Hancock, played 4 seasons of hockey with Houghton High School where he was chosen team's MVP and was selected for All-State. He played on Team Michigan for the Chicago Showcase. After graduating in 1990, he played one year of Juniors for Northland Voyageurs in Duluth, MN, then 3 seasons with Northern Michigan University 1994-97, then 1 year in the UHL for Saginaw Lumber Kings, then six seasons 1997-2003 in the CHL and WPHL with Memphis, Austin, Amarillo, Lubbock, ElPaso and Corpus Christi.

*****http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/players/LewisRogerNMUs_small.jpg******

The mid-90s were very lean years for NMU hockey. One bright spot I can remember was when the Cats and Tech were playing the fourth and final game of their season series at Lakeview. I can't remember who actually won that game but the series ended up tied so they needed a shootout to decide the Ramada Cup winner. It came down to Northern's final shooter and a goal would win the Cup. Guess who Comley sent out for the shot? None other than Roger Lewis. My cousin and I look at each other thinking, "Roger Lewis?" Well, he scored and the Ramada Cup was NMU's.

Roger's moment in the spotlight was a rare bright spot in a bleak period in Wildcat hockey history.

Comment

I got to know Roger during my time at Sherwin-Williams in Houghton. His family had a painting business and I spent much time helping him and father out. My condolences this family.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I don't suppose any of you NMU fans have seen the SCSU thread... you guys didn't just sweep their team, it seems like half the fan base is ready to throw themselves off a cliff. Their fighting with each other about how their lives have been effected by games....wow

I hope the Bronco's don't run into you guys during the playoff's... I might have to put myself on depression meds preemptively...
          Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

I think there were cracks in the foundation of SCSU long before the NMU weekend. NMU was just the water seeping through the cracks that finally annoyed them. That, or they wear their Arctic Cat jackets a few sizes too small cutting off oxygen and blood flow to the brain...

We all expected a bit of a rough season, but I think the struggles against Miami, tOSU, WMU and LSSU really took some wind out of our sails. I don't include the Notre Dame losses, because we rebounded against Michigan (who continues to remain our glass ceiling, we just can't seem to get past them).

Our league standings is a bit misleading. We're a better team than it shows, but we just keep finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Flip the two shootout losses to wins (because we should have held on to the outright win), and we're looking at:
            1 Notre Dame 30 pts
            2 Miami 28 pts
            3 Western Michigan 26
            4 Ferris State 22
            Ohio State 22
            6 Lake Superior 21
            7 Northern Michigan 16
            Alaska 16
            9 Michigan 14
            10 Michigan State 13
            Bowling Green 13

Which is much more reflective of where this team is.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Two articles on Mitch Jones @ the MiningJournal.net:

Northern-Michigan-defenseman-Mitch-Jones-brings-size--strength-to-center-position

and

Forward-is-not-a-foreign-position-to-Northern-Michigan-defenseman-Mitch-Jones-in-lacrosse

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              We're a better team than it shows, but we just keep finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
              I agree. I think the second half will be different (hopefully); and, of course, this weekend against Miami at the BEC on the "big ice" will be telling. We played them pretty tough down there in November (a tie in the 2nd game 2 - 2). I'll be watching...
              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

*Bump*

Took this quote from the Miami @ NMU thread; hope you don't mind.

A win and a tie isn't terrible after the rocky stretch. Would have liked the SOW just for the league points, but alas. Tie was hard fought after letting Miami score three before the 'Cats finally answered back. Now we need to get the same results (or better) against tOSU.

NMU improves to:
                New WCHA: 2-2-1
                B1G: 3-2-1
                NCHC: 4-4-2
                Hockey East: 0-2-0

Remaining:
                New WCHA: 9 games
                B1G: 4 games
                I think the next home series against tOSU (1/18-19 and Ferris (2/8-9) along with the trip to UAF (1/25-26) will tell us if this recent four game swing (3-0-1) has been for real.

Last nights game was weird, because just before Miami scored their 3 unanswered goals I was thinking how good NMU was looking controlling the puck, stopping Miami in the neutral zone, getting shots on goal, Coreau making great saves, clearing rebounds, etc. And then it all turned around for awhile, but we were fortunate enough to have Daugherty get that short-handed goal. As aparch said above "we just keep finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory," instead we ended up with a tie and one lonely point to keep us out of the basement. A four point weekend was a start in the right direction.

Whether Miami was just flat this weekend or not, I think the 'Cats can play well against most teams. I'd like to see them do the same against tOSU. And, in the nine games we have against future nWCHA opponents, it would be nice to see a strong finish against UAF, FSU, Tech, BGSU, and LSSU. I think these guys are capable and that they've come together a little better than in the first half. But, still, wait and see, lots of hockey to go, many points needed.

Does the "Big Ice" really help us and hinder those who aren't as familiar with the larger surface?

Edit: And by the way, after last night, I'm officially on record as being against the shootout.
                Last edited by aygwm2; 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I've personally never liked the shootout in college hockey. I know Walt doesn't like it either. But is there a chance it could be implemented in the nWCHA with the CCHA schools outnumbering WCHA schools?

God I hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                    I've personally never liked the shootout in college hockey. I know Walt doesn't like it either. But is there a chance it could be implemented in the nWCHA with the CCHA schools outnumbering WCHA schools?

God I hope not.
                    I was under the impression that most people dislike it. It was pushed by the ****** former head of the CCHA, now coach of Michigan State. You know, the ******* who sold out the CCHA? I would be suprised if anyone else adopts it.
                    Go Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                      I was under the impression that most people dislike it. It was pushed by the ****** former head of the CCHA, now coach of Michigan State. You know, the ******* who sold out the CCHA? I would be suprised if anyone else adopts it.
                      I'm curious, just how did the former commish "sell out" the CCHA?
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I'm curious, just how did the former commish "sell out" the CCHA?
                        I will assume you are trolling me here as there has been wide discussion/speculation on this forum about Tom Anastos and the end of the CCHA. Many find it odd how it all happened how and when it did. There were even a few articles about it...
                        This blog comes to mind:
                        http://www.uscho.com/ccha-blog/2011/03/23/the-hiring-of-anastos-is-an-interesting-turn-of-events/

Also, and more minor... many do not like the Shootout. I am guessing that you, as a broadcaster, enjoy it as it makes for "excitement". Well, Anastos pushed for it. The CCHA is the only one with it. It brings a huge element of the NHL to College. I dont like that either.
                        Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                          I will assume you are trolling me here as there has been wide discussion/speculation on this forum about Tom Anastos and the end of the CCHA. Many find it odd how it all happened how and when it did. There were even a few articles about it...
                          This blog comes to mind:
                          http://www.uscho.com/ccha-blog/2011/...urn-of-events/

Also, and more minor... many do not like the Shootout. I am guessing that you, as a broadcaster, enjoy it as it makes for "excitement". Well, Anastos pushed for it. The CCHA is the only one with it. It brings a huge element of the NHL to College. I dont like that either.
                          You have to realize that once Penn State announced NCAA D-I hockey, the Big Ten was going to add the sport. Not Tom Anastos, Bruce McLeod or Gordie Howe could stop that. Your linked article is nothing more than Paula Weston's opinion, and the opinions expressed by many fans are from people who have nothing more than a few news articles or opinion pieces as info. Do the smaller schools often feel a little left out or overlooked by the league office? Sure. But from a business perspective, Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame are by far the most marketable brands in the league. They are the ones who put people in the seats at the Joe. They are the ones who draw viewers to FSN. Put an NMU-Ferris game, or Lake Superior-Bowling Green on FSN and see what kind of rating and advertiser support you get. Sell out? Maybe. In a perfect hockey world, all schools would have the same number of TV appearances. But that doesn't work in the real world. The CCHA achieved far greater exposure under Anastos than under any previous regime. He's a smart businessman and a good promoter. As for taking the job at State, would you turn down a chance to double your salary and work doing something you love at a place you love? Once the Big Ten was announced, the CCHA as we know it was history. Why would he turn down such an opportunity. It certainly guarantees him a job next year, whereas staying in the commish seat did not. As for the shootout, every league but the NCAA (CCHA being the exception there) uses it. The Canadian juniors, Major Junior, USHL, NAHL and every pro league in the world. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. I can live with it as long as it's not used in the playoffs. I'd hate to see a championship decided by one like in the Lillehamer Olympics when Sweden won the Gold in a shootout over Canada (By the way, Sweden scored the tying Power Play goal late in regulation while former NMU Wildcat Brad Werenka was sitting in the Canadian Penalty Box). Do I have differences with some of Anastos moves? Certainly. We've had a few disagreements over the years. But I do think he's done a pretty good job growing and building the league during his tenure.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Dave, you're letting recent accomplishments cloud your memory. Notre Dame has only been relevant to the CCHA since 2008. They
                            had some pretty lean years before that.

The league has always been Michigan/Michigan State because of the marketing and attention drawn to the league. It's like ESPN only cherry picking the Yankees/Red Sox games. There is a point where youu get oversaturated and crave other teams.

Where I blame Anastos is in the long term protection of the league. More effort needed to be given to the rest of the teams on the website, on marketing materials, etc. Sure Michigan/MSU is a quick buck, but there was no long term investment. That was realized fairly quickly when the B1G schools made their announcement and Notre Dame and Miami, the would have been new marketing golden geese, flat out told the CCHA they didn't want a part of the league.

That's where I blame Anastos: he certainly was a good businessman for the current, but didn't plan for the future.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Dave, you're letting recent accomplishments cloud your memory. Notre Dame has only been relevant to the CCHA since 2008. They
                              had some pretty lean years before that.

The league has always been Michigan/Michigan State because of the marketing and attention drawn to the league. It's like ESPN only cherry picking the Yankees/Red Sox games. There is a point where youu get oversaturated and crave other teams.

Where I blame Anastos is in the long term protection of the league. More effort needed to be given to the rest of the teams on the website, on marketing materials, etc. Sure Michigan/MSU is a quick buck, but there was no long term investment. That was realized fairly quickly when the B1G schools made their announcement and Notre Dame and Miami, the would have been new marketing golden geese, flat out told the CCHA they didn't want a part of the league.

That's where I blame Anastos: he certainly was a good businessman for the current, but didn't plan for the future.
                              I'm well aware of Notre Dame's team "relevance." And actually they won 32 games in -06-07 and made the tourney in 03-04. Whether the team was always top notch is one thing. The Notre Dame brand has always been relevant.

Comment

Kind of sorry I mentioned the shootout in my post (below or above) that devolved into an analysis of the Anastos CCHA tenure.

What I really wanted to know is what you all think of NMU's chances going forward against the 5 remaining nWCHA opponents and the 2 B1G foes.

I think if we can sustain and build on what we've seen in the past four games things are looking up. We haven't performed very well against tOSU of late (though on the road), so I'm hoping the 'cats can turn it around against the bugeyes this weekend at home.

After this weekend it's UAF, idle, FSU, Tech, Sparty, BG, and LSSU.

Also, I figure you've had this conversation before, but how much advantage does it give NMU when they play on the 200 x 100 sheet? Do you think it does give them an edge and consequently hinder them when they play on the smaller ice surfaces? How many other CCHA or WCHA teams play on the "big ice." Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X