NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

There already is something siimilar, called Public Eye News where students get to use the equiment at TV13 to put together an honest to God news show utilizing the Associated Press and CBS News.

An extenstion of that group, or a new dedicated group similar to PEN would be ideal. This eliminates the labor costs DavyD mentioned. Only consts incurred would be new camera equipment that is HD.

WNMU TV13 shied away from airing games because of popular viewer supported programming on Friday and Saturday nights. Issues with transporting their studio camera to the Berry every home series was a big concern, along with staffing.

HD, moreso the availability of subchannels for programming has started to open the door to WNMU warming to airing athletics. In fact, an HD feed of the last NMU football game was rebroadcast on TV13 recently. I don't know if this student group was the reason behind it, but it's a great stepping stone.

One real quick way to get NMU Hockey on TV13? Use your wallet, and pledge to them more if they get Wildcat Sports on the air. It's a viewer driven channel, so we all can dictate the programming.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      There already is something siimilar, called Public Eye News where students get to use the equiment at TV13 to put together an honest to God news show utilizing the Associated Press and CBS News.

An extenstion of that group, or a new dedicated group similar to PEN would be ideal. This eliminates the labor costs DavyD mentioned. Only consts incurred would be new camera equipment that is HD.

WNMU TV13 shied away from airing games because of popular viewer supported programming on Friday and Saturday nights. Issues with transporting their studio camera to the Berry every home series was a big concern, along with staffing.

HD, moreso the availability of subchannels for programming has started to open the door to WNMU warming to airing athletics. In fact, an HD feed of the last NMU football game was rebroadcast on TV13 recently. I don't know if this student group was the reason behind it, but it's a great stepping stone.

One real quick way to get NMU Hockey on TV13? Use your wallet, and pledge to them more if they get Wildcat Sports on the air. It's a viewer driven channel, so we all can dictate the programming.

Not only have they rebroadcast a football game but they rebroadcasted the Saturday Alaska hockey game the following Tuesday afternoon. I've read they'll do the same next Tuesday for the Tech game. I believe 5 o'clock in HD. It looks great on my plasma. For a student produced program it's done quite well. Of course the announcers need alot more polish but that's to be expected since they're students. I think Dwight Brady is an instructor for that 300 level class. I might be wrong on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
        Not only have they rebroadcast a football game but they rebroadcasted the Saturday Alaska hockey game the following Tuesday afternoon. I've read they'll do the same next Tuesday for the Tech game. I believe 5 o'clock in HD. It looks great on my plasma. For a student produced program it's done quite well. Of course the announcers need alot more polish but that's to be expected since they're students. I think Dwight Brady is an instructor for that 300 level class. I might be wrong on that though.
        You are correct, Dwight Brady is the instructor. Great guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
          I'm sure most people would want to watch Wildcat Hockey on a Saturday night more than High School Bowl...
          There is a reason why Lawrence Welk is still on the air on TV13...

They would have to move a repeat of Antiques Roadshow (most popular PBS program ever), High School Bowl (if it's been on the air this long, they ain't moving it), and Lawrence Welk (which ended production in 1982, and he's been dead since 1992).

Those three programs I would guess, are TV13's highest drawing donation programs, and most watched.

Friday is just as bad because you would lose PBS Newshour, Washington Week, Need to Know, and possibly bump PBS's newest hit program "Call the Midwife" to a later time or date.

It would take substantial donations to offset what those programs receive (even in repeat). It could be done, but it's going to take a lot of donations and support.

It's also why WNMU-FM doesn't air sports (specifically hockey). A Prairie Home Companion is the number one program and biggest money draw for radio.
          Last edited by aparch; 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I guess I'll express the obvious: A little disappointed in the first half of the season.

I thought we'd be better than this, what with our defensemen and goaltender.

We have played most games fairly close and tough, but have had problems with penalties.

Our lines do not seem to be coming together and working out thus far.

We're near the bottom in nearly all of the overall statistical categories.

What can they do to turn the season around? Can they turn the season around?

Go 'Cats!
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Cats need to dig deep and come back strong. The margin of error for the rest of the season needs to be close to zero. Otherwise, they could be done. Hoping for the best. They have turned it on in the second half of the season before and dug themselves back into contention.

Go Cats!
              Go Cats!

Comment

Maybe we're just trying to take a page from Bowling Green's playbook the last two years? Sandbag the whole season then go on a "Cinderella-esque" run?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  I guess I'll express the obvious: A little disappointed in the first half of the season.

I thought we'd be better than this, what with our defensemen and goaltender.

We have played most games fairly close and tough, but have had problems with penalties.

Our lines do not seem to be coming together and working out thus far.

We're near the bottom in nearly all of the overall statistical categories.

What can they do to turn the season around? Can they turn the season around?

Go 'Cats!
                  What the Cats need to do is get a head coach who can win on a consistent basis. Walt Kyle has proved that this is not him. Sadly, this season doesn't shock me, when you stick with Walt at coach, you are bound for disappointment

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
                    What the Cats need to do is get a head coach who can win on a consistent basis. Walt Kyle has proved that this is not him. Sadly, this season doesn't shock me, when you stick with Walt at coach, you are bound for disappointment
                    Don't believe the coach is the problem! I think Walt and the coaching staff are capable of making the adjustments in order to turn the team around in the second half. If you're a true NMU fan you wouldn't assume otherwise. For all practical purposes, our offense is a relatively new group of guys this year and some of them must still be trying to make their own adjustments to individual and team play. We shall see...

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

*bump*

...from the third page.

Here's the midseason report card from the MiningJournal.net: REPORT CARD

Will be interesting to see how the team does against SCSU this weekend after the long layoff.

Let's hope the 'Cats can bring their grade point up in the second half.

Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

I find it amusing the Cats picked up four points in the latest USCHO poll.

Comment

Update after the win at SCSU tonight:

New WCHA: 2-2-1, 1 SOW
                          B1G: 3-2-1, 1 SOL
                          NCHC: 2-4-1, 1 SOL
                          Hockey East: 0-2-0

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

We started out the first-half with a sweep against a WCHA team (Wisconsin).

We start out the second-half with a sweep of another WCHA team (SCSU). Coreau was awesome tonight!

Nice to have the non-conference wins. Now, I hope we can put together a good second-half in the CCHA.

Nice for the 'Cats to be at home the next two weekends, continuing on the "Big Ice." (Do you think that really makes a difference for them?)

Go 'Cats!

Comment

I certainly did not see this sweep coming.

Congrats guys!! Keep the momentum going!

Comment

• Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                                I certainly did not see this sweep coming.

Congrats guys!! Keep the momentum going!
                                You did see a sweep.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X