PDA

View Full Version : '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Commence season

Shirtless Guy
10-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Exciting, hoping for big things. As
Engined in the other thread, Copley gets the start tomorrow night.

Beer Pong Horn
10-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Exciting, hoping for big things. As
Engined in the other thread, Copley gets the start tomorrow night.

Is that a V-8 or V-6? :p

+1 on the thread title.

Twitch Boy
10-11-2012, 02:01 AM

The Troll mtu86
10-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Go huskies!

mtu_huskies
10-11-2012, 07:02 AM
College Hockey News has their WCHA preview today. They picked Tech to finish 6th.

1. Minnesota
2. North Dakota
3. Denver
4. Wisconsin
5. St. Cloud State
6. Michigan Tech
7. Nebraska-Omaha
8. Minnesota-Duluth
9. Colorado College
10. Minnesota State
11. Bemidji State
12. Alaska-Anchorage

Here's the other Tech related stuff.

Players to Watch
Blake Pietila, Sophomore, Forward, Michigan Tech

The Huskies relied on a lot of young guys during last year's run to the Final Five, and Pietila was one of the leaders of that group. The New Jersey Devils pick tied for fourth on the team with 24 points last year, and he will be expected to improve on that and take on an even bigger role this year. If he and other forwards can continue to get better, a return trip to the Final Five should be within reach.

Freshmen to Know
Jujhar Khaira and Alex Petan, Forwards, Michigan Tech

The Huskies might not be the first team you think of for blue-chip freshmen, but these two guys qualify. Khaira ranked 10th in the BCHL with 79 points in 54 games and got picked in the third round by the Edmonton Oilers this summer. Petan is two years older, and actually had an even better BCHL season. He finished fourth in goals with 38 and sixth in points with 88.

Michigan Tech

Head coach: Mel Pearson

Last season: 16-19-4 overall, 11-13-4 WCHA (8th)

Changes: Losing Josh Robinson, the reliable start last year, is tough, but Kevin Genoe has shown in the past that he can play well at this level. Rookies Pheonix Copley and Jamie Phillips have Tech fans really excited, though, as both have incredible upside. Quality forwards Brett Olson, Jordan Baker and Alex MacLeod are also gone.

Strengths: The Huskies have a good mix of skill and size returning at the blue line. Steven Seigo, an offensive-minded defenseman, and Sova, a big, physical blue-liner, anchor the unit. Brad Stebner, Riley Sweeney and Carl Nielsen all saw a lot of minutes in 2011-12, and they’ll be better with that experience.

Weaknesses: "We are going to miss some key seniors from last year’s team," Pearson said. "Going forward we’re going to have to find out who our next goaltender is. I do feel good about our offense, we do have seven of our top ten scorers back. On defense we’re fairly stable there. We didn’t lose a defenseman from last year, so that will be a big key.”

Outlook: Mel Pearson’s debut season in Houghton can only be considered a successful one. The Huskies won more conference games (11) and overall contests (16) last winter than they won in the previous three years combined. To top it all off, Michigan Tech upset Colorado College in the opening round of the WCHA playoffs to advance to the Final Five.

"The one thing this year is that we’re not going to be able to sneak up on anybody," Pearson said. "That will be the hardest part going forward – having some success and learning how to deal with it and taking the next step as a program.

David Johnstone, Blake Pietila and Furne are the catalysts up front, but Jacob Johnstone, Tanner Kero and Milos Gordic bring enough talent to the lineup to give Tech two solid scoring lines. Jujhar Khaira, a third-round selection of the Edmonton Oilers, is a big body with some real offensive upside, and he will be expected to manufacture offense from the start.

MCgrad07
10-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Great thread name and good luck

huskyfan
10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
its on! please note change of venue

The first Blue Line Lunch of the 2012-2013 season will be held on Friday, October 19th from noon-1PM at the Continental Fire Co. on Montezuma Avenue in Houghton. Parking is available on the west end of the Continental Fire Co., across the street in the city parking lot, and in downtown Houghton.

The cost of the lunch is $9.00 per person and is open to all members of the community.

Head Hockey Coach Mel Pearson will be the featured speaker.

We will have a 50/50 raffle and a couple of giveaways.

Bring a friend and come out and show your support for our Division I hockey team as they take on the Minnesota Gophers!

bigblue_dl
10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm more optimistic about this season than I have been about any other season. I just hope there's no letdown. I think Tech rolls tonight. Win by at least 4.

Biddco
10-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Kevin Pates notes that next year Tech will play at UMD.

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/2012/10/11/looking-at-minnesota-duluths-season-opening-lineup/

JohnsonsJerseys
10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
This just handed to me...
Mitt Romney has stated he would oppose any proposed plan which takes wins away from more successful programs and gives them to those who rank in the bottom 47% of NCAA RPI.
This would have been tough news for Tech fans just a few years ago, but now that we're headed for the upper half, I agree that the top teams should keep all their wins.
;)
Ryan J
(Hey - I'm not the one who put politics in the subject line, I'm just putting it to use.)

geezer
10-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Several good stories from Stephen in today's Gazette. Things I did not know about Shields; he's now a Tech employee/PE instructor; and an interesting quote: "I've had a few opportunities to go to the pros. I could do that if I really wanted to do that. I made a commitment to these kids when they committed to coming here. They asked if I was going to be here and I said I would be."

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Several good stories from Stephen in today's Gazette. Things I did not know about Shields; he's now a Tech employee/PE instructor; and an interesting quote: "I've had a few opportunities to go to the pros. I could do that if I really wanted to do that. I made a commitment to these kids when they committed to coming here. They asked if I was going to be here and I said I would be."

I thought that was interesting too. Sounds like we've got him for at least a couple more years.

eye4talent
10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Good night for sports fans. Tech hockey game and then Verlander and the Tigers in deciding Game 5. Where's Jack Morris when you need him?

giwan
10-11-2012, 02:29 PM

What no link? I have to search or go to my tool bar?!! :D

giwan
10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Good night for sports fans. Tech hockey game and then Verlander and the Tigers in deciding Game 5. Where's Jack Morris when you need him?

Jack would not have been the problem the relief was. Jack would have simply pitched till his arm fell off

bigblue_dl
10-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Ah, Jack Morris. 0 ER, 10 IP, CG, 1-0 SO, Game 7 of the World Series. MVP of the greatest World Series of all-time.

mtu_huskies
10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
From one of Stephen's articles, not making the trip:
F: Holmberg, C. Pietila (groin), P. Anderson and A. Pietila (2 game suspension)
D: Hyland, Davis & Brown

I thought it was weird all 3 goalies went on the trip and Stephen points that out in his article, I'm still not sure I understand why for a one game road trip.

Tech wants to set tone
http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527092/Tech-wants-to-set-tone.html?nav=5009

Khaira a big addition
http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527093/Khaira-a-big-addition.html?nav=5009

Pearson managing trio of 'tenders
http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527094/Pearson-managing-trio-of--tenders.html?nav=5009

Shirtless Guy
10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Linkorama - Week 1 (http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/10/linkorama-week-1/) is up with those 3 articles from Stephen Anderson and many more.

huskyfan
10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Ah, Jack Morris. 0 ER, 10 IP, CG, 1-0 SO, Game 7 of the World Series. MVP of the greatest World Series of all-time.

this.