Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    I think he may be given the opportunity later in his career to return to his alma mater. That is if we can reach the point where rebuilding the program from a black hole isn't necessary any more.
    If Mel can get us there by the time he retires, I was thinking that. I don't picture Mel continuing to coach as long as Red has. Payne had about 1.75 seasons in St. Louis, and while he was above .500, he was not a success either (I do think part of his canning was simply because Hitch was available). However with the right cast, he could be good here.

All pure hypothesis though.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I've been thinking a lot about the teams' chances the second half and I'm wondering how this fits.

IF.. we split on the road, meaning we get splits at Duluth,UNO, St cloud, and at Mankato, and sweep at home,... AA, Bemidji, CC, I think we end up with 29 points. So will that be enough to squeak into home ice, and can it be done?. I also wonder if getting Sova and Fillion back will make a difference.
      I got from the Recent Stephen Anderson article that the competition for playing time is heating up. So that means to me the guys not playing have been getting better and hopefully the guys playing will get better too. I'm generally an optimist but is there a reasonable likelihood we are hosting?
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So if you read ESPN's article on the US winning the WJC, the picture they use is one of Blake Pietila kissing the cup, pretty cool.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/s...pionships-gold
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          I think he may be given the opportunity later in his career to return to his alma mater. That is if we can reach the point where rebuilding the program from a black hole isn't necessary any more.
          This is just blasphemy, tMEL got the team to a playoff win 1st yr, GLi 2nd yr and there is talk about the NEXT coach? As medicine advances there will be a call for funds to preserve tMEL with anti-aging drugs and then if need be to keep his brain functions working. tMEL will never be gone.

Any college sport needs a coach that really knows how to recruit and then develop players. Murray is at year one, a bit early to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I've been thinking a lot about the teams' chances the second half and I'm wondering how this fits.

IF.. we split on the road, meaning we get splits at Duluth,UNO, St cloud, and at Mankato, and sweep at home,... AA, Bemidji, CC, I think we end up with 29 points. So will that be enough to squeak into home ice, and can it be done?. I also wonder if getting Sova and Fillion back will make a difference.
            Wow, don't mean to be negative, but that sounds like a tall order.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

A cool video from yesterday.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/to...lty-shot-goal/
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                Wow, don't mean to be negative, but that sounds like a tall order.
                It is an extremely tall order, but it is a way to get above .500 in conference play which is pretty much required for home ice.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Twitter post from Sports Center anchor John Buccigross

Coming off its GLI Championship, Michigan Tech welcomes back Dman Daniel Sova next weekend vs. Minny Dululth. Cast off wrist. #cawlidgehawkey

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary, as always email questions to Dirk dj@themix93.com only 2 today:

They reviewed the GLI:

What did Red Berenson say to you after the UM game?
                    Just congrats and good luck tomorrow. He called last week and was excited for MEl and MTU, he watched the western game. Mel owes a lot to Red.

The reviewed the goals, Petan played great.

Tommy Brown got his first career goal, prob 9th on Dman depth chart. Played well, never complained when he wasn't. Good for him.

No PP goals for Mich, good job by Whitten, PK was good, blocked shots, didn't give second chances. ANd Pheonix played well.

2-3 on PP for Tech

Pheonix was in a zone, played well. Made it look easy.

On Western game:
                    Saturday gave us confidence, in both games we got the lead, and with Pheonix playing had confidence and momentum.

Early on Sunday they were in our zone, similar to UM games, but didn't get many Grade A chances like the UM game.

On first goal that didn't count, Mel wanted to comment on it. Incidental contact by JJ, just bumps goalie, JJ gets out of crease, Western Dman stick gets caught in Western goalies pad, Goalie recovers, play shot.
                    Refs said JJ interfered with goalie and didn't allow him to save shot, even TV guys thought it should be a good goal. Mel didn't agree.

Rix goal, good shot, bad goal, shows that getting puck on net, good things can happen.

No goals in 2nd, penalties took away from flow of 2nd.

Not sure any Western Forwards are a positive +/-, usually score on PP, good to keep that quiet.

Hietila goal, great play by Holmberg, good patience, Western goalie over played the puck, huge goal.

Kero ENG, hadn't played missing 2 series, played real well, his effort real good.

Lickteig, don't like to see that on him, but Western player got 2 game suspension. Upper body injury, doubt he'll be ready this weekend, hasn't skate with team yet. Probably wont play next two series.

A. Pietila PP goal from Hietila/Holmberg, have some depth to make 3 changes in lineup, all but one of our healthy skaters got to play in GLI

Real good PK job on Wester

Seigo made all tournament team, without any goals, was just solid all weekend, +2 against Western

Postgame of what was said in lockerroom, just so proud of them, winless in 7, no one was talking about us. Even before tourney, sent the team on Christma Eve, hopped they were back home having a good time with friends/family, but hope they were thinking abotu GLI and wanted them to come back playing hard.

On Blake Pietila and World Juniors:
                    Congrats to Blake, very proud of him, great rep of MTU, talked to him last night, he's in New York, still traveling home
                    Good for USA, the best players at that age group in the world
                    will get home today, give him a few days off, and see how we can get him through next two weeks,
                    Have seen both, players do well in 2nd half and struggle
                    Will be good to have him back
                    Before GLI was wondering how we'd score, losing 10 goal scorer and had only scored 6 goals in previous 4 games

Questions for Mel:
                    To what extent if any will winning GLI improve recruiting downstate MI?
                    Premiere holiday tournament. Exposure on TV like this, and beating two good teams helps sell program and we're heading in right direction.

Is the trophy going to be on display at the rink?
                    Mel's got an idea that we might try, he'll run it by some peopel. We'll talk about it next week. May try to give fans an opportunity to take their picture with it etc.

Preview of UMD Series:
                    Struggling a bit, didn't play great in Florida
                    Talented team, couple of very good freshmen
                    Big series for both teams, we need points in WCHA
                    Is home ice viable? Yes, half through schedule, need to sweep home games and split on road, if we can do that, we'll be right there for a chance to do that. Haven't shown that in 1st half, but have just scratches surface of how we can play.

Sova believes he'll be ready for UMD series. He got full go from Doctor last week, he did. Still not in game shape and will be rusty. We'll see going forward, not sure he'll be ready for Duluth, but he looks good in practice. He'll get thrown right in there.

We need to use our depth to beat them. Have to play 5x5, starting to get secondary scoring now, that will help a lot. UMD series last year was a huge boost.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                      UMD series last year was a huge boost.
                      You don't say, mel? Embarrassing the #1 team in the country on their home ice was a big boost?
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

From Twitter, it looks like some of the players had a fun skate on the Portage today. The MacInnes Cup was along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          You don't say, mel? Embarrassing the #1 team in the country on their home ice was a big boost?
                          The Friday game was fun. The Saturday game was boring. It was a clinic by Tech.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I know there's more to it than games played and points, but below is a list of our recruits, how much they're playing and what they're doing.

GP G A PTS +/-
                            Tyler Heinonen USHL 31 12 13 25 -1
                            Jake Kauppila NAHL 34 2 6 8 -7
                            Chris Leibinger USHL 26 4 6 10 +7
                            Joel L'Esperance USHL 22 1 2 3 -5
                            Joe Schuldt USHL 28 1 2 3 +8
                            Evan Anderson BCHL 36 9 11 20
                            Dylan Steman USHL 29 5 10 15 -8
                            Michael Neville OJHL 29 12 27 39
                            Tristan Rostagno HS 14 3 9 12 +3
                            Marcus Ericsson USHL 33 5 3 8 -8
                            Dane Birks BCHL 30 4 11 15
                            Jake Jackson HS 12 10 12 22 +4
                            Alex Gillies BCHL 32 12 18 30
                            Trevor Cope BCHL 33 10 8 18
                            Mark Evan Auk USHL 5 0 2 2 +1 NAHL 27 3 9 12 -1
                            Travis Brown HS 12 7 0 7

FYI - the BCHL stat page still has a Commited to Tech next to his name, probably just hasn't been updated I'm assuming.
                            Reid Sturos BCHL 35 11 18 29

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              From Twitter, it looks like some of the players had a fun skate on the Portage today. The MacInnes Cup was along for the ride.
                              *****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/540895_10152426023230096_1051746402_n.jpg******
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                I know there's more to it than games played and points, but below is a list of our recruits, how much they're playing and what they're doing.

GP G A PTS +/-
                                Tyler Heinonen USHL 31 12 13 25 -1
                                Jake Kauppila NAHL 34 2 6 8 -7
                                Chris Leibinger USHL 26 4 6 10 +7
                                Joel L'Esperance USHL 22 1 2 3 -5
                                Joe Schuldt USHL 28 1 2 3 +8
                                Evan Anderson BCHL 36 9 11 20
                                Dylan Steman USHL 29 5 10 15 -8
                                Michael Neville OJHL 29 12 27 39
                                Tristan Rostagno HS 14 3 9 12 +3
                                Marcus Ericsson USHL 33 5 3 8 -8
                                Dane Birks BCHL 30 4 11 15
                                Jake Jackson HS 12 10 12 22 +4
                                Alex Gillies BCHL 32 12 18 30
                                Trevor Cope BCHL 33 10 8 18
                                Mark Evan Auk USHL 5 0 2 2 +1 NAHL 27 3 9 12 -1
                                Travis Brown HS 12 7 0 7

FYI - the BCHL stat page still has a Commited to Tech next to his name, probably just hasn't been updated I'm assuming.
                                Reid Sturos BCHL 35 11 18 29

Cool pic of the guys on the lake. thanks for the list. missing one guy, the Boeing kid from Shattuck.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X